Faulty charging software?

rdavo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
4 month old MG 4 charges for no more than 1 minute at a time regardless of whether initiated in car or remotely via MG ismart app.
I've used 3 different cables and 3 different chargers to no avail...any advice MUCH appreciated as currently vehicle of little practical use!

You might be encountering this issue. (Ignore the Zappi bit).

4 month old MG 4 charges for no more than 1 minute at a time regardless of whether initiated in car or remotely via MG ismart app.
I've used 3 different cables and 3 different chargers to no avail...any advice MUCH appreciated as currently vehicle of little practical use!
Does it work ok on DC CCS rapid chargers?

Thanks! Not sure as vehicle is currently sitting on dealer forecourt until the New Year awaiting "diagnostics"

You might be encountering this issue. (Ignore the Zappi bit).

Thanks...so possibly an ac charging issue...vehicle with garage currently

I had a similar issue last year with my PodPoint charger where the AC voltage was too high and so the charger would cut out or just fail to start. DNO came and checked the voltage level and confirmed it was too high. They lowered it by about 5 volts and it’s been fine ever since.

I had a similar issue last year with my PodPoint charger where the AC voltage was too high and so the charger would cut out or just fail to start. DNO came and checked the voltage level and confirmed it was too high. They lowered it by about 5 volts and it’s been fine ever since.
Thanks…same problem on 3 different chargers so I’m guessing the problem is with the car

I've had this issue with my 21 plate mg 5 for some time. It fails to charge overnight maybe once a week. No pattern to it.

I'm on my 3rd charging cable as I thought it was that and my local dealer is so useless, I've not bothered to contact them. Just saw on the podcast that it is affecting other cars so I'll give them a call...

Had something similar with our old ZS EV. Tried several chargers, got the AA man out but no luck. In desperation tried disconnecting the 12v battery for 10 mins and bingo everything started working. Worth a try.

I had similar charging issues on mine where it kept failing, disconnecting almost immediately etc. and then I got an error "vehicle control system fault" (all in first week of ownership). I took it straight to MG who eventually updated several modules + infotainment which fixed most issues.

But the second issue appeared to be the smart charging features on my charger fighting the smart charging features on the car. I now set my home charger to "dumb mode" where it just charges when it plugs in and if I need to schedule a charge etc do that via the car instead which works fine. I think the scheduling (with 5 min delay) from the charger kept fighting the charger schedule of the car and causing to fail and disconnect immediately. Probably a little different to yours but hopefully might help.

I had similar charging issues on mine where it kept failing, disconnecting almost immediately etc. and then I got an error "vehicle control system fault" (all in first week of ownership). I took it straight to MG who eventually updated several modules + infotainment which fixed most issues.

But the second issue appeared to be the smart charging features on my charger fighting the smart charging features on the car. I now set my home charger to "dumb mode" where it just charges when it plugs in and if I need to schedule a charge etc do that via the car instead which works fine. I think the scheduling (with 5 min delay) from the charger kept fighting the charger schedule of the car and causing to fail and disconnect immediately. Probably a little different to yours but hopefully might help.
Many thanks

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel