Features (Sounds, Simulated Gear shifts, Drift Mode, Rear wheel Steering, Modes)

GranTurismoEra

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
What do you guys think will be available on the final production car? Borrowing some features from other performance EVs like the Hyundai Ioniq 5 N

Well I hope none of that rubbish gets into the final car, except maybe, rear wheel steering.

Only a child would want a pretend gearbox or fake brum-brum noises, it's ludicrous

To you, but there are people coming from real sports cars that may be won over by electric. Manufacturers may not want to mass market electric sports cars but what's the appeal if it doesnt tick the boxes. How will it sell?

No sound
Overweight
Heavy GT type handling
Expensive.
What do you get for the money....

To you, but there are people coming from real sports cars that may be won over by electric. Manufacturers may not want to mass market electric sports cars but what's the appeal if it doesnt tick the boxes. How will it sell?

No sound
Overweight
Heavy GT type handling
Expensive.
What do you get for the money....

i agree - all i wanted to see was a cheap and cheerful, simple, fun to drive - rear wheel drive electric two seater.
what we seem to have (if the press is to be believed) is all of that ie. simple, rear wheel drive, but vastly over priced.
there isnt a premium to be paid for electric cars anymore - no cheap electricity, no grants, no tax breaks, and therefore why would anyone want to pay 50k+? seems madness to me

No cheap electricity? There's plenty of cheap electricity for many, you just have to get organised. My overnight tariff is 7.5p a unit overnight for 6 hours. Running our EV's still cost peanuts.
The same people who pay £50k to £100k now for any other large GT coupes. They're not practical and don't make fiscal sense, but so what? Plenty will buy one as an expensive toy, including me in a year or so. When I want to go shopping, I can use our LEAF. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
MG should look at possibly pricing it in line with China. From £42000 with top spec £52,000. I think import taxes are the reason theres a £10,000 premium.

The price is irrelevant. >90% of these will be on PCP or leased. All MG/SAIC needs to do is promise to buy them back at the end of the deal. A car like this actually won't be around that long. Within a year or so of release, it will be comprehensively outclassed. Battery technology innovation will be rapid. If MG are serious about getting back into the sports car game, the Cyberster will be gone in 4-5 years. The depreciation, without manufacturer propping up of the market, will likely be horrific.

Average EV, after 3 years/36k miles, is worth 47% of new price. Petrol cars; 67%

£50k Cyberster, £5000 down, 36 months, 7%. APR. Balloon payment; £25k. But MG EVs depreciate faster than other EVs. Maybe that will get better, but over the next 12 months, MG is replacing most of its current models, some of which haven't been around that long:

MG will likely control the entire used Cyberster market, in the same way Mazda in the controlled used MX5 sales during 1991-1995. Because EVs are commoditized, I would not be surprised if these are fully recycled before the normal end of life. Its one way to control supply; stick the cars on empty SAIC owned car transporters, and scrap the cars in China. Because of the rapid pace of obsolescence of EVs, people won't develop the same relationship with them as other cars. Are old Nissan leafs really going to be kept on the roads with new batteries? No. And battery life is much more time dependant than mileage dependant.

yeah MG Buying back the Cybersters is the only way to keep the value. Due to the high pricing strategy the depreciation will be apparent unlike the MG4 which has been stuck in the 20s for the past year. MG4 is hugely popular so that affects used price. its already at the baseline. If MG allow a number of Cybersters to get on the used market outside the dealership network and no one wants them. They will become 30k cars within 2 years.

By year 3 to 4 there will probably be new models either facellifts or coupes going forward as the initial deals will be coming to an end. And like you said people wont be developing a connection to keep the car permanently unless theyre rich and want to collect. Im not sure MG does battery rental schemes so the older cars will probably be scrapped as you said.

Yeah the Nissan Leafs would rely on monthly battery rental which means unless you buy the battery you wont own the car completely. Theyre already planning 2 crossovers one to replace the Leaf. Nissan said the battery tech is not ready. They really missed the buck with the Leaf and allowed Tesla to take their market. If I were them id start building the "Max Out" roadster in Sunderland instead of wasting time. Once Porsche and co hit the market no one will be buying a Nissan Roadster unless its 40k and under...

The price is irrelevant. >90% of these will be on PCP or leased. All MG/SAIC needs to do is promise to buy them back at the end of the deal. A car like this actually won't be around that long. Within a year or so of release, it will be comprehensively outclassed. Battery technology innovation will be rapid. If MG are serious about getting back into the sports car game, the Cyberster will be gone in 4-5 years. The depreciation, without manufacturer propping up of the market, will likely be horrific.

Average EV, after 3 years/36k miles, is worth 47% of new price. Petrol cars; 67%

£50k Cyberster, £5000 down, 36 months, 7%. APR. Balloon payment; £25k. But MG EVs depreciate faster than other EVs. Maybe that will get better, but over the next 12 months, MG is replacing most of its current models, some of which haven't been around that long:

MG will likely control the entire used Cyberster market, in the same way Mazda in the controlled used MX5 sales during 1991-1995. Because EVs are commoditized, I would not be surprised if these are fully recycled before the normal end of life. Its one way to control supply; stick the cars on empty SAIC owned car transporters, and scrap the cars in China. Because of the rapid pace of obsolescence of EVs, people won't develop the same relationship with them as other cars. Are old Nissan leafs really going to be kept on the roads with new batteries? No. And battery life is much more time dependant than mileage dependant.
Some interesting thoughts there. Oddly enough, we currently run an early LEAF as a run about and I have just changed out the battery to a larger new one, so yes, some of them will get new batteries!

Battery life is an interesting one, we'll have to see how it pans out, but I have a self built EV using the first LEAF battery modules that are now 12 years old. It rarely gets used these days and is kept at 50% SOC in the garage, battery capacity is depleting at around 1% a year on that whilst not in use, so not sure your thoughts on time dependent battery degradation are entirely valid. Certainly if stored incorrectly at high or low SOC's, batteries will be wrecked though.

It will be interesting to see if any EV's make it into proper old age, or classic car status as some cars used to do. Cars in general are now so complex and expensive to repair that they may not make it through the point of minimal value that all cars that do go on to become classics have to survive when risk of scrapping on financial grounds is at the greatest point.

That doesn't sit well with me as I like to keep cars very long term if I'm fond of them, and it may not be possible to do that going forward with any new car. (by long term, I do mean decades, I also own a 1954 VW that I've had over 40 years now!)

If any EV's do become classics, I'd expect them to be cars like the cyberster though, it won't be most of the run of the mill dull hatchbacks like the LEAF or MG4. I don't see MG providing much parts support beyond 10 years or so though sadly.

yeah MG Buying back the Cybersters is the only way to keep the value. Due to the high pricing strategy the depreciation will be apparent unlike the MG4 which has been stuck in the 20s for the past year. MG4 is hugely popular so that affects used price. its already at the baseline. If MG allow a number of Cybersters to get on the used market outside the dealership network and no one wants them. They will become 30k cars within 2 years.

By year 3 to 4 there will probably be new models either facellifts or coupes going forward as the initial deals will be coming to an end. And like you said people wont be developing a connection to keep the car permanently unless theyre rich and want to collect. Im not sure MG does battery rental schemes so the older cars will probably be scrapped as you said.

Yeah the Nissan Leafs would rely on monthly battery rental which means unless you buy the battery you wont own the car completely. Theyre already planning 2 crossovers one to replace the Leaf. Nissan said the battery tech is not ready. They really missed the buck with the Leaf and allowed Tesla to take their market. If I were them id start building the "Max Out" roadster in Sunderland instead of wasting time. Once Porsche and co hit the market no one will be buying a Nissan Roadster unless its 40k and under...
You're incorrect on the LEAF, they're all battery owned and have been for years. There was an option to rent the battery early on, but it was widely disliked and stopped years ago.

I don't think MG will care about Cyberster depreciation at all, it will be what it will be. My Tesla model S lost £27k of it's value over just 1 year due to Tesla dropping prices! Manufacturers don't care about depreciation. Finance companies offering PCD certainly do though, if they get it wrong, they get stung at buy back time!

Any Porsche EV roadster is going to be £100k+ Different market and demographic to a Nissan or MG roadster. You're talking about cars for the filthy rich there, vs comfortably well heeled, lol!

Fair play, im sure youve seen all the EV youtube documentaries. I did enjoy the one with Musk and his Roadster along with the release of the Leaf in the early days. In regards to parts it will probably still be available but directly from factory for a period before being stored somewhere. It seems like theyre making modern cars for short term ownership or lease.

Im not sure about rich but my older brother picked up a New white Taycan with black and white wheels. He used equity from his model X which he was paying around £1000 over 3 years as a deposit. Then funds from remortgage covered the rest. Theres a high amount of Tesla Model 3, X and Y in my area. With MG4 popping up frequently. I suppose if you know how to use equity and where to go for low rate finance you could effectively buy a car worth 30% more than your annual salary lol

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom