Ferry boats

DrJohnny Fever

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Ok, silly question, do you think ferry’s should have EV chargers, I mean your on it for an hour or two, going to France, the same with euro trains? Just wondering what your thoughts are on it..

Ok, silly question, do you think ferry’s should have EV chargers, I mean your on it for an hour or two, going to France, the same with euro trains? Just wondering what your thoughts are on it..
That’s a very good idea and not just going to France others that do the run to Spain and Ireland or Holland for example not sure it could be done but perhaps one day
Les

They'd probably need a significant upgrade to the on board generators in order to handle EV charging loads I'd imagine.

Hmmm, surely these would be powered by the engines (diesel?) meaning more emissions if the engines have to run charge points?

Not likely to happen. Many reasons, cable runs, getting the right cars to the right spots, rules about refuelling and or have vehicle active (must be completely switched off is required on board) if they got all that sorted out not withstanding sufficient power then the investment would mean that the cost to charge would be high and most users wouldn't pay it.

Already available on Irish Ferries for free. Makes perfect sense, ships have their own onboard electricity generation. Very little extra required to charge EVs compared to running a whole ship.

1648631187902.png

Eurotunnel is too short of journey to get a meaningful AC charge unless you add a rapid DC chargers inside the train. But from other users (as I avoided the rapid there), rapid DC chargers which don't brick the car at the terminals would be a start 😅

Already available on Irish Ferries for free. Makes perfect sense, ships have their own onboard electricity generation. Very little extra required to charge EVs compared to running a whole ship.

View attachment 7666
That’s great news Gomez thank you lI’m thinking of a trip to Ireland later this year or next got to get to the Dingle and the west coasts at some point be nice to take the car as well
Les

I don't know if this applies to the specific ferries in question but quite a few larger vessels use diesel-electric propulsion. I.e. multiple engines driving generators which in turn power electric motors directly coupled to the propeller shafts. This allows the engines to run at a fairly constant and most efficient speed with regulators controlling the electric motors. Cars have always had the issue that they operate over a significant rev range. Valve timing, ignition timing and fuel supply had always been a compromise with engine speed as far as efficiency was concerned although modern vehicles with variable valve timing, electronic ignition, fuel injection and multiratio gearboxes have led to greatly improved efficiencies. When you can separate engine speed and drive speed completely the engine can run at its most efficient speed possible with "just add more fuel" to compensate for extra load

However compared to the overall demands of the ferry "domestic" electrics charging a few cars at even 22kW is not going to be significant, it is in part the same ethos (apart from marketing) with the free supermarket chargers, compared to the overall loads of the store the chargers don't add that much.

That’s great news Gomez thank you lI’m thinking of a trip to Ireland later this year or next got to get to the Dingle and the west coasts at some point be nice to take the car as well
Les
My daughter used to work in Galway so had many a trip over. I used to like taking the overnight ferry from Liverpool to Dublin, it was usually a good price, used by lots of lorries but includes a cabin in the price and complimentary meals.
Arrive in Dublin early morning fresh and raring to go. No idea if they have chargers on now but I personally wouldn't use them at the moment..........it's P&O Ferries. 😬 :( 😔

My daughter used to work in Galway so had many a trip over. I used to like taking the overnight ferry from Liverpool to Dublin, it was usually a good price, used by lots of lorries but includes a cabin in the price and complimentary meals.
Arrive in Dublin early morning fresh and raring to go. No idea if they have chargers on now but I personally wouldn't use them at the moment..........it's P&O Ferries. 😬 :( 😔
Hiya GomEv yeh I two have done that Ferry as well many times before but not for a few years now
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom