• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Final jigsaw piece.... How far should I go up the Mway.

jackois

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Apologies if I've missed the thread with the exact answer I'm looking for, but I've googled and scoured posts until I'm seeing double...

I'm on the verge of buying an MG5 lr. I've no qualms as to my everyday use of the car as my local travel isn't huge.

Once a month I run from Southampton to Leeds. 240 miles. I'm on Motorway/dual carriageway within ten minutes of setting off... how far do I get roughly before the need to charge?

I understand that mileage varies with weather conditions and I like to do the 70 on the motorway.

Many thanks, in advance.

I'd go earlier rather than play charger roulette. You need to put in 25% to have some reserve, and that's about 20 minutes charging so quite a short break. A Rapid will put 25% in fastest if you end the charge with less than 70%, so you need to start charging below 45% in turn representing around 55% used which is around 110-120 miles depending on conditions.
If you go later and the Rapid is in use you have difficulties.

Speed is a range killer, at 70mph you may want to charge when you get down to 20-30% so probably about 3/4's of your journey. Will you be able to fast charge at your destination?

Speed is a range killer, at 70mph you may want to charge when you get down to 20-30% so probably about 3/4's of your journey. Will you be able to fast charge at your destination?
Destination wise, there's a rapid charge within 5 minutes of the destination which I'd need to use as there's no driveway at the destination...

Just in case you weren't aware MG have stopped taking factory orders for the MG5, in readiness for the facelift model.

Apologies if you already know it have secured one already in the country 🙂

I would be wanting to find a rapid charge at around 150 miles if not a little sooner.
Do half the journey then top off for half an hour while you have a coffe/leg stretch/comfort break and you will have plenty to get you there.
I think 150 miles is a good first run target but I think you'll find as you get used to the car you'll be able to go further.

I've done 150 miles between charges in my MG 5 SR so you could get closer to 180 miles in a long range.

By taking the charge level below 20% it'll charge quicker as well.

I've had my LR for 6 months now and done a few different dual carriage way/motorway runs. Worst example was heating on all the way at 26 as kids like it toasty, moderate head wind, heavy rain and outside temperature at 3-6 degrees. Speed 70 mph and got 165 miles with 7% remaing. Where as the best case I did more recently was: me alone, no heater nor AC on as it was 17 degrees outside (dry day). Steady acceleration, mild wind if any, and kept my speed all the way 65 mph (again motorway only) this got me 230 miles

The assumption is you are starting at 100%, which would usually be true with a home charger.

You are going to have to top up on each leg anyway and so it doesn't really matter too much where you break the journey, play safe and go for 150 - on the last top up don't overfill as you don't want to be arriving at home with too much still in the tank :)

Likewise, if the charger at the other end is free you want to arrive there with as little as sensible

The assumption is you are starting at 100%, which would usually be true with a home charger.

You are going to have to top up on each leg anyway and so it doesn't really matter too much where you break the journey, play safe and go for 150 - on the last top up don't overfill as you don't want to be arriving at home with too much still in the tank :)

Likewise, if the charger at the other end is free you want to arrive there with as little as sensible
If you go via Banbury, which I think is good leg from Southampton, you have 12 Instavolts and 6 Ospreys to choose from. I have the SR and did a 400 mile round trip charging up at Banbury on the outward and return legs. I used the Ospreys and was the only vehicle there.

Trip to my parents is 156 miles. Can do this safely even with a kayak on the roof.
No kayak Friday and nice and warm but got to destination with 38% left. Would equate to about 220 miles of motorway driving range this time of year. (Fully loaded with family and large dog) mg5lr

Apologies if I've missed the thread with the exact answer I'm looking for, but I've googled and scoured posts until I'm seeing double...

I'm on the verge of buying an MG5 lr. I've no qualms as to my everyday use of the car as my local travel isn't huge.

Once a month I run from Southampton to Leeds. 240 miles. I'm on Motorway/dual carriageway within ten minutes of setting off... how far do I get roughly before the need to charge?

I understand that mileage varies with weather conditions and I like to do the 70 on the motorway.

Many thanks, in advance.
I will doing the reverse round trip trip in August, so will be interested in how you get along. :)

If you go via Banbury, which I think is good leg from Southampton, you have 12 Instavolts and 6 Ospreys to choose from. I have the SR and did a 400 mile round trip charging up at Banbury on the outward and return legs. I used the Ospreys and was the only vehicle there.
That's the sort of info I'm looking for.... adding it as a via only adds 20miles to the journey total.
Much appreciated...

Just to add to this, "A Better Route Planner" app is worth the investment to use with CarPlay in your car. Once you have an account and tell it your car, it can recommend places to stop depending on which options you choose.
Personally, speed is makes a huge difference here, way more than with ICE cars but at least eh LR gives us a bit more here. Also don't be afraid to use the heater/AC, overall it makes little difference compared to driving speed.
As others have said, stopping early when you don't need to will guarantee charger availability as opposed to running close to the bone and find everything is broken or in use - Murphy's Law is real;! ;-)
Also as others have said, you'll get better at driving the car over time which will help quite a bit.
Enjoy

Andy

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom