Finally cracked the wireless carplay dongle problems

micknomates

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have tried 6 different wireless carplay dongles with none managed to either connect at all or dropped connections or blank screens. Finally tried MMB box approx. £40 on Amazon. Managed to get it working fine with no dropped connections but had to unplug and then plug in the dongle adapter for connection when starting new journey. Then bought usb switch (power & data) from Amazon £6. Now when new journey, get in car, foot on brake, and when screen boots up, flick swich on and off, and away we go.
My car is 2024 LR Trophy.
Think the problems have been with MG usb connection and hopefully that will be addressed with my next software update, and then maybe ditch the switch.

Links for switch and dongle.

I have tried 6 different wireless carplay dongles with none managed to either connect at all or dropped connections or blank screens. Finally tried MMB box approx. £40 on Amazon. Managed to get it working fine with no dropped connections but had to unplug and then plug in the dongle adapter for connection when starting new journey. Then bought usb switch (power & data) from Amazon £6. Now when new journey, get in car, foot on brake, and when screen boots up, flick swich on and off, and away we go.
My car is 2024 LR Trophy.
Think the problems have been with MG usb connection and hopefully that will be addressed with my next software update, and then maybe ditch the switch.
I have the same dongle issue and now switch CarPlay off by pulling out the USB plug by 1mm (not out completely) and push back in on next start-up.

... by far the best solution I've found is an old iphone 6 (no sim) on a permamently connected short cable (I'm lucky that live in a rural area, so theft risk is lower?), connected via Personal Hotspot (& bluetooth? ) on my iphone 12. Yes car play is a bit slow, but it just works every time.

Attachments

• 1713381549911.jpeg
    1713381549911.jpeg
    395.8 KB · Views: 53
I bought the switched cable linked above. Arrived today but I can’t get it to work. Just noticed the ad on Amazon says not data?

As you were. My switch cable although advertised as power and data is probably not good quality as have had dropouts using switch. Still OK unplugging and plugging in adapter OK and no dropouts. Will return switch and try another one with better quality.

I’m going to return the one linked above as it’s definitely not data. Now ordered this one will report back if ok.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Update. Wireless carplay been working well with no dropouts using the switch off/on when starting journey. Car booked for updates 10th May so hopefully may be able to ditch the switch.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom