First 10% of charge used in low mileage

Hagerty1967

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I often fully charge by car overnight, but when I use the car the next day I only get a max of 2 miles per kwh regardless of how efficiently I drive. Eventually (after about 10% has been used, I can get the kwh rating to be higher if I drive efficiently. I'm usually in normal mode (eco doesn't seem to make much difference with this).
Thoughts anyone?

I often fully charge by car overnight, but when I use the car the next day I only get a max of 2 miles per kwh regardless of how efficiently I drive. Eventually (after about 10% has been used, I can get the kwh rating to be higher if I drive efficiently. I'm usually in normal mode (eco doesn't seem to make much difference with this).
Thoughts anyone?
You do not get much regen until you are down to 90%.

That is why keeping your battery in the 20-80% range is advisable except when really needed. This also extends battery life considerably.

Thoughts anyone?
Do you get the same when you don’t fully charge?
It’s true that regen (that’s the car using it kinetic energy (when you lift off the accelerator) to push a charge back into the battery) is limited on a full battery as it can’t really store the regenerative energy - this normally only lasts for a short period of time after driving off.
Also, on any EV for the first few miles (unless downhill), you may get a lower figure that will establish after a longer distance is covered. There are also a few other factors to consider.

The Cabin heater is running hard for the first part of your journey (Its a 7Kw PTC Heater), so that drastically reduces the Miles / Kwh on the first part of your journey, it starts to increase as the heater gets to temp and reduces the power its pulling.

I've had mine a couple of months now, not getting above 2.6m/kWh and averages at 2. Very cold in the UK right now but 100% only showing 190 miles range on an SE Long Range.

I've had mine a couple of months now, not getting above 2.6m/kWh and averages at 2. Very cold in the UK right now but 100% only showing 190 miles range on an SE Long Range.
That's about right according to EV database

Combined - Cold Weather *190 mi

Combined - Mild Weather *260 mi

That's about right according to EV database

Combined - Cold Weather *190 mi

Combined - Mild Weather *260 mi
Sounds not too bad. The longest drive I’ve ever done was 197 miles up to Little Loch Broom. I had to stop for an hour in Aviemore for a bite to eat and I remember seeing a few rapid charge points there. That kind of drive is definitely the exception than the rule for me. It’s probably classed as a short trip for somewhere like the States or Australia, but felt epic to me. 😅

If I drive super carefully e.g. 45-55 mph not ragging it, I can get 3 or 4 m/kWh, but usually after the car has done a few miles first.
Re the range, it seems impossible to get the car to show the max range (210 for my SE) except for the day I picked it up!
Lots of comments saying this is normal as the car is learning what's actually a real estimate.

If I drive super carefully e.g. 45-55 mph not ragging it, I can get 3 or 4 m/kWh, but usually after the car has done a few miles first.
Re the range, it seems impossible to get the car to show the max range (210 for my SE) except for the day I picked it up!
Lots of comments saying this is normal as the car is learning what's actually a real estimate.
I’m wondering if resetting the trip computer would show you the max range again.
0543B47E-FB1A-4918-9141-D5726509D2E3.png

I’m wondering if resetting the trip computer would show you the max range again.
View attachment 13785
It normally does. I don’t see why the MG4 should be any different. I would argue why you would want to see that though. Better to see a more realistic figure based on historic usage in my opinion.

It normally does. I don’t see why the MG4 should be any different. I would argue why you would want to see that though. Better to see a more realistic figure based on historic usage in my opinion.
Especially in the Winter, it would be better to see a realistic range based on past drives I agree.

The Cabin heater is running hard for the first part of your journey (Its a 7Kw PTC Heater), so that drastically reduces the Miles / Kwh on the first part of your journey, it starts to increase as the heater gets to temp and reduces the power its pulling.
I never realised it was that energy hungry. So my beer mat maths says that you could have an economical urban drive of 28 miles over an hour (which will use 7kwh), but if you have your heater on full, or not full but with other stuff on, then you'll use up to 14kwh over that hour, giving you a paltry 2.0ml/kwh.

I never realised it was that energy hungry. So my beer mat maths says that you could have an economical urban drive of 28 miles over an hour (which will use 7kwh), but if you have your heater on full, or not full but with other stuff on, then you'll use up to 14kwh over that hour, giving you a paltry 2.0ml/kwh.

I would say the temp would level off well before an hour it’s heating a small space. But if you do lots of short journeys it is a major drain keep opening and closing doors

We have found it’s 7kw for first 10 mins and levels off at about 1.2 kw an hour on long journeys

I don’t the point is made that a cold battery has a higher internal resistance. Even withiut a heater switched on it consumes more power for the first 10-15 miles. Beyond that you will get more standard mileage. That is my experience on a Mk 1 ZS.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back