First 50kW charge - finished at 95% this normal?

jared

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
The car was 96% when I picked it up from the dealer. Since then I've done two short 7kW charges. Battery was down to approx 66% and we're doing a long drive soon so I took it to a 50kW charger (Osprey network) while I went shopping. The Osprey app said the session was complete and stopped the charging. When I got back to the car and turned it on, it said 95%. Is this normal? Losing 5% capacity for a new car that's about a month old seems extreme.

I don't think it means you have lost 5% capacity- for some reason it must have stopped the charge at 95%. You should still be able to charge to 100% on a home wall box or with the granny cable.

There have been other threads about this.
Best to only use a rapid upto 90% as some have caused issues with the MG5 ie not turning on or releasing the cable.
When using a BP Polar rapid on the ZS EV, owners have seen the charge STOP at around 81% with a error displayed on the charging unit.
This happened to me on the very first time I used a rapid unit, I was just about the end the charge, when it did it for me at 81% !.
The next time I used a rapid ( for only the second time ) was after my car had received the latest BMS update.
When it got to 81% - I expected it to drop out.
But it just kept charging !.
I allowed it to get to 84% - Then I ended the charge myself.
The BMS update has allowed the car to reach a higher percentage without crashing out on a rapid I believe.
The charging speed is really throttling back a lot at around 80% - so it is probably time to unplug and move on anyway.
You can not perform a "Balance" cycle on a rapid unit either.
Only on a wall box or a Granny.

I've had a 50kw charger stop around the 95% mark a couple of times, usually with the HV battery disconnect error as well (leave it 5 mins and it clears).
As others have said best not to charge much past 80% on rapid anyway as from 80 onwards it slows down significantly.

When using a BP Polar rapid on the ZS EV, owners have seen the charge STOP at around 81% with a error displayed on the charging unit.
This happened to me on the very first time I used a rapid unit, I was just about the end the charge, when it did it for me at 81% !.
The next time I used a rapid ( for only the second time ) was after my car had received the latest BMS update.
When it got to 81% - I expected it to drop out.
But it just kept charging !.
I allowed it to get to 84% - Then I ended the charge myself.
The BMS update has allowed the car to reach a higher percentage without crashing out on a rapid I believe.
The charging speed is really throttling back a lot at around 80% - so it is probably time to unplug and move on anyway.
You can not perform a "Balance" cycle on a rapid unit either.
Only on a wall box or a Granny.

How do I know if I have the latest BMS update?
The car is about a month old.

How do I know if I have the latest BMS update?
The car is about a month old.
if it’s an MG5 you’re driving, then I don’t think there have been any updates. The BMS update was for the ZS.

As said, the 95% charge is an issue with DC charging - plug into an AC charger and it’ll reach 100% and balance if needed

if it’s an MG5 you’re driving, then I don’t think there have been any updates. The BMS update was for the ZS.

As said, the 95% charge is an issue with DC charging - plug into an AC charger and it’ll reach 100% and balance if needed

Ah ok I'll have to try out a AC charge if I can.

And yes, its a MG5.

Thanks

I've had a 50kw charger stop around the 95% mark a couple of times, usually with the HV battery disconnect error as well (leave it 5 mins and it clears).
As others have said best not to charge much past 80% on rapid anyway as from 80 onwards it slows down significantly.
80% need not be a hard and fast rule. I'd say don't go over 90% on a rapid charger, but 80-90% is typically under 15 minutes. Yes, it slows down, but those extra few percent might save you another stop.

It's always worth working out how much you actually need. Rapid charging is expensive and time consuming (if you could otherwise be charging cheaply overnight while you sleep). It also puts strain on the battery so I only do it when necessary to complete a long journey.

80% need not be a hard and fast rule. I'd say don't go over 90% on a rapid charger, but 80-90% is typically under 15 minutes. Yes, it slows down, but those extra few percent might save you another stop.

It's always worth working out how much you actually need. Rapid charging is expensive and time consuming (if you could otherwise be charging cheaply overnight while you sleep). It also puts strain on the battery so I only do it when necessary to complete a long journey.

Agreed, I will often stay to 90% if no-one is waiting and I have far to go.

Yep - I’ve gone to high 80% when no one about and gone sub-20% when my next charging stop was guaranteed - such as a 6+ charger site or heading home.

80% to 20% is just a general rule of thumb for battery longevity, charging speed and etiquette- but obviously adapt around this as needed. Just like any other aspect of life.

The car was 96% when I picked it up from the dealer. Since then I've done two short 7kW charges. Battery was down to approx 66% and we're doing a long drive soon so I took it to a 50kW charger (Osprey network) while I went shopping. The Osprey app said the session was complete and stopped the charging. When I got back to the car and turned it on, it said 95%. Is this normal? Losing 5% capacity for a new car that's about a month old seems extreme.
Happened to me at 94%and got the H/V battery alert,dealer told me it was a safety feature to protect the battery,now I only go to 85%when using rapid chargers

I’ve got my MG 5 to 95% twice in rapid chargers with no issues. Had the car plugged up to a 7kw BP pulse charging post at a hotel last night. (Issues with the app and releasing my cable however). Left it over night as there was plenty of chargers around where I’m staying. Car now 100% and 250 mile range if I turn the AirCon off and switch to Eco Made. Guess the AC charge will have balanced the batteries too. Had the MG5 for 4 weeks now and it’s the first time I’ve been able to do an overnight charge. Must try and get an overnight AC 7kw charge done at least once a month im told this will help prolong the batteries.

I’ve got my MG 5 to 95% twice in rapid chargers with no issues. Had the car plugged up to a 7kw BP pulse charging post at a hotel last night. (Issues with the app and releasing my cable however). Left it over night as there was plenty of chargers around where I’m staying. Car now 100% and 250 mile range if I turn the AirCon off and switch to Eco Made. Guess the AC charge will have balanced the batteries too. Had the MG5 for 4 weeks now and it’s the first time I’ve been able to do an overnight charge. Must try and get an overnight AC 7kw charge done at least once a month im told this will help prolong the batteries.
(y)
Thanks this is helpful because I just did a long trip and used a fast charger and it turned itself off at 95%. I was thinking there was something wrong with the batteries but I haven't had the chance to do a slow charge yet so guess that's what it needs for a top up

Had this on a BP rapid recently. Was charging from around 20% and the charger came up with a message to say charge had stopped at 95% and to disconnect the cable.

When I got in the car I had the two battery lights on the dash and the car wouldn't move. Left for 5-10 minutes and everything was back to normal.

I have a new MG5 standard range which I charged to 100% using granny connector for a round trip from Bath to Newquay. Mainly motorway travelling around 70 mph so needed two recharges for round trip. Both stopped at 96% one genie point the other BP Using 50 kw CCS connector. Next day granny charged up to 100% so nothing wrong with batteries. My previous car 1995 XJ Sovereign 4.0 ltr would have needed only one stop assuming I had started with a full tank (£100} and filled again, another ( £100 ) and got home on the fumes remaining. So we’ll pleased with my 96% charges costing about £20 a time.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom