First car, first week, first scrape :(

I'm surprised his dad even let him behind the wheel on a night like that. At least it seems nobody was hurt.

When I did it I'd been driving for a couple of years, but there hadn't been a really bad winter. I'd taken dad's car to go up to the field where my pony was grazing, to check on him and feed him because the grass was snow-covered. I'd never driven on packed snow before.

I was surprised by how easily the car ran on the packed snow. On the way home I took a corner just that bit too fast and the inevitable happened. I was close enough to the farm I'd been visiting to walk back and explain what happened, and the farmer brought his tractor out to rescue me. My dad was ridiculously nice about it. I deserved a lecture about how we couldn't really afford this sort of expense, but he just chalked it down to "she knows what not to do now, and at least nobody was hurt."

As appealing as it is to put the car back to perfect, maybe that’s tempting fate when you’re inexperienced and a ‘make do’ repair would be better for a while….just in case…
A brand new car immediately after passing your test is quite the brave decision…. 😯

As appealing as it is to put the car back to perfect, maybe that’s tempting fate when you’re inexperienced and a ‘make do’ repair would be better for a while….just in case…
A brand new car immediately after passing your test is quite the brave decision…. 😯
I certainly would agree there, although in my case I didn't crash my 1st slightly battered car, but waited until my 2nd brand-new car!.......Oops!

I pranged our new ZS less than a week after getting it, reversing out of our drive - no dents but needs paint on the rear plastic bits. Passed my test 25 odd years ago - so it happens to anyone, don't worry. A small lapse in concentration, lots going on, unfamiliar car - but its a good reminder to me to pay more attention and no further incidents since.

I was so annoyed with myself, though. Now it's already picked up the odd little extra scratch from who knows where (maybe animal claws - thankfully same body panel), but it's all part of owning a car. What really galed me was the reversing sensors did nothing - maybe because it hadn't fully started up?? Hey ho! It wasn't a person, life goes on.

The advice a couple of friends in the motor trade gave me many years ago - fix these things just before you sell it, if at all! (or wait until someone else to prangs it and claim on their insurance!). But when it's a brand new car it feels wrong just leaving it!! 😭

I've been driving nigh on 60 years and have still managed to scrape my vehicle. I know it's a first car but hey, it's only a lump of metal on four wheels, and you're okay that's the main thing.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back