Aargh! Got my first scratch on the MG4. Need help with paint colour/code

dsimpkins

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
While out and about inthe MG today, I saw our local fire station was offering car washes for donations to local search and rescue charity. So I decided to go and get the car washed. Before I had a chance to say stop, one of the fireman had lifted up my wipers, and yep, got a scratch on edge of bonnet as a result.

I went and looked at the manufacturer plate in the car, and it helpfully/unhelpfully says the car is red.

My question is what colour red? Also, where is best place to order touch up pen/paint from?

Does the label on the driver's door B pillar not state the colour code?

There are other threads on this topic, and in there some suppliers are suggested.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here is the official MG colours and the paint codes for future reference.

IMG_0539.jpeg

While out and about inthe MG today, I saw our local fire station was offering car washes for donations to local search and rescue charity. So I decided to go and get the car washed. Before I had a chance to say stop, one of the fireman had lifted up my wipers, and yep, got a scratch on edge of bonnet as a result.

I went and looked at the manufacturer plate in the car, and it helpfully/unhelpfully says the car is red.

My question is what colour red? Also, where is best place to order touch up pen/paint from?
Get a professional company to do it ,your never be able to match it up but they can . I was at an MG dealership and they were touching up a brand new not registered MG HS car. It happens even to me 😔.

Is this 2020 blue similar or sane to the Holborne blue on the MG4?
In this thread below @Rolfe has the following :-
"Brighton Blue and Holborn Blue are apparently the same thing. My car's paperwork says Brighton Blue somewhere too".

I've had a real run round trying to get paint code for MG4 Trophy volcano orange. 3 paint shops couldn't help. So called into a back street paint shop. They have up to date listing on lap top. But they ended up calling main supplier in the country. Turned out the listing is on the computer they had, under MG black and orange. So got it sorted, big chip on bonnet. 😎

In this thread below @Rolfe has the following :-
"Brighton Blue and Holborn Blue are apparently the same thing. My car's paperwork says Brighton Blue somewhere too".

But that attachment says Battersea Blue. No idea what that is.

But that attachment says Battersea Blue. No idea what that is.
Battersea blue was the launch colour chosen for the TV add etc when the Gen 2 ZS EV ( facelift ) was first released.

Battersea Blue. 2023-08-19 at 18.53.20.png

It replaced the launch colour of the original Gen1 ZS EV which was the lighter shade of blue called Pimlenco Blue.

Pimlenco Blue 2023-08-19 at 18.57.00.png

Had the same but did it myself
Got a touch-up stick from paint nuts I have the same colour and the same scratch paint nuts touch-up stick worked perfectly

I bought the Dynamic Red two-part official MG touch-up paint kit from a local MG dealer but I've never opened it.

I'm happy to sell it to anyone who wants to make me a reasonable offer £? as I've parted with my Red car now. The paint originally cost me £17.51 inc VAT but happy to sell if for say £8

A tip for applying it to a chip from a professional was to get two cocktail sticks and a bottle cap. Dip one stick in each bottle and stir the paint and clear coat. Then remove them and close the bottles before mixing in the clean bottle cap the colour coat paint and clear coat coating which has remained on the two cocktail sticks. Then use one of these sticks to dab a little of the mix onto the clean chipped area. Remember not to have any car wax or car shampoo containing wax on the area if possible clean the area with an alcohol wipe to remove residue of anything be for you start.

I have a throphy (NL) red metallic march 2023 and my colour is 5ZAU
hmm, I ordered the red RSJ from ebay but then looked at the code on my car and it is also 5ZAU - are these equivalent with the 5ZAU being an internal MG code perhaps?

Argh - I've cursed myself buying that touch-up paint, scraped my front corner on a low bollard while reversing out of a parking space this morning. I think its just the plastic side but its still going to take more than a touch up pen to sort :(

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back