First Drive

markmcn

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi. Thanks for accepting me to the forum.

I have a test drive of an MG5 tomorrow morning - my first ever in an EV. I currently drive a Kia Sorento, driving 42 miles to work and back each day, spending over £80 a week in diesel! This cost as well as the CO2 mean I really want to make the switch.

Given I do so many miles, is an EV right for me at the moment? We don;t (yet) have any charging points at work, but I intend to get some installed very soon.

Would anybody with similar driving pattern care to share any tips, experiences or pitfalls, particularly of the MG5?

Many thanks,

Mark.

There’s a Mercedes EQ app that might be of interest. It tracks your current use and advices on compatibility for an EV. It’s obviously Mercedes but it might give you more information. It is avaiable on ios or android if you scroll down this page.

Your usage looks as if an EV will save you a fortune in the long run. I do around 90miles a day many days of the week in my ZS EV and have a home charger with Octopus energy for topping up, this is a good combination for me.

I have a test drive of an MG5 tomorrow morning - my first ever in an EV. I currently drive a Kia Sorento, driving 42 miles to work and back each day, spending over £80 a week in diesel! This cost as well as the CO2 mean I really want to make the switch.

Given I do so many miles, is an EV right for me at the moment? We don;t (yet) have any charging points at work, but I intend to get some installed very soon.

Would anybody with similar driving pattern care to share any tips, experiences or pitfalls, particularly of the MG5?

Many thanks,

Mark.
Welcome to the mad house.
If you've got off street parking available, with a home charger a 42 mile each way usage will be fine with the MG5. You'll be using less than 50% of your range each day, so no range anxiety summer or winter.
The aim is to charge at home as often as possible - if you like being kind to your wallet.

Your usage looks as if an EV will save you a fortune in the long run. I do around 90miles a day many days of the week in my ZS EV and have a home charger with Octopus energy for topping up, this is a good combination for me.
I'm already with Actopus. Do they have a different tariff aimed at EV owners??

Many thanks,

Mark.
You are about to save a fortune Markmcn!!!

Hi, I do 70 miles a day and using Octopus Go 5p tariff it cost less than a £1 a day.
Please if you can top up at a supermarket for free it's a bonus 😁

I do 1000 miles a week in my mg5 with no issues.

Tne standard range mg5 will get you to work and back home for 2 days before you need to charge it (200m range). And a 7.5kw wall box will do that overnight for you. If you plug in every evening it will only take a couple of hours to top you up.

Many thanks,

Mark.
I do 44miles a day, and it's great. Just charge every few days, going to save me over 1.2k pa

Many thanks,

Mark.
If you have never driven an automatic before keep your left foot planted away from the pedals. I'd never driven an automatic before the MG5 and kept hitting the brake pedal with my left foot as if reaching for the clutch. After hitting my head a few times learnt that my left foot is now redundant when driving.

I used to have a Sorento. The 5 is considerably lower and the door arch a different curve. Not an issue for most. My best technique for ease of getting in is bum first then swing legs in not the normal left leg first if you are over 5' 10" Its not problem at all, just managing expectation after driving the lofty Sorrento. PS Try out the drive modes, sport is very entertaining, where safe floor the pedal from low speed. The 5 will catch many a boy racer out, 0 to 60 well under 8 sec. Bit of a Q car.

If you have never driven an automatic before keep your left foot planted away from the pedals. I'd never driven an automatic before the MG5 and kept hitting the brake pedal with my left foot as if reaching for the clutch. After hitting my head a few times learnt that my left foot is now redundant when driving.
Yep, until you get back into a manual ICE car, then you have to slap it around a bit to wake it up again :ROFLMAO:

when you put it in drive it will creep when you take your foot off the brake also the brakes are sharp take it smooth you will have a big smile on your face by the end of the test drive

when you put it in drive it will creep when you take your foot off the brake also the brakes are sharp take it smooth you will have a big smile on your face by the end of the test drive
I wanted a test drive before I bought mine (obviously). I was out in the car for less than a mile before I arrived back at the garage, handed back the keys and told the sales guy I wanted one!

I wanted a test drive before I bought mine (obviously). I was out in the car for less than a mile before I arrived back at the garage, handed back the keys and told the sales guy I wanted one!
Wow - I was in mine a good 2 hours! I wanted to take it back to roads I knew so that I could concentrate on the car and not the route.
To be fair though, I had already decided that I probably wanted one from research, and was looking specifically for all the things that might put me off. Didn't find much.
The biggest thing for me was the reduced view - but that's because I'm coming from a Grand Scenic with massive windows. It was even worse on the ling range, but that was only because the dealer had decided to put a sun strip on the demo car.
Some of the ACC / pilot / speed limiter stuff was a bit confusing at first (had to check the manual again) but the missus won't use any of that on the school run anyway.

Wow - I was in mine a good 2 hours! I wanted to take it back to roads I knew so that I could concentrate on the car and not the route.
To be fair though, I had already decided that I probably wanted one from research, and was looking specifically for all the things that might put me off. Didn't find much.
The biggest thing for me was the reduced view - but that's because I'm coming from a Grand Scenic with massive windows. It was even worse on the ling range, but that was only because the dealer had decided to put a sun strip on the demo car.
Some of the ACC / pilot / speed limiter stuff was a bit confusing at first (had to check the manual again) but the missus won't use any of that on the school run anyway.
I'm easy to please!! :ROFLMAO:

Before I got my ZS EV I had an automatic ZS ICE so i was used to the setup of the car and the controls. However, I was blown away by the EV driving experience so it was a very easy decision to go ahead and place an order.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom