First long drive

SeaSwimmer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I did my first long drive, 600 mile round trip, Cornwall to London and didn't have any problems with charging stations, I traveled at night on the way there but during the day on the way back, two stops both ways and got a charging point each time without waiting and just used by debit card, no apps.

The only thing though is range tanks at 70mph especially in Cornwall (too many hills on the A30) so it's 3 Miles/KWh, outside of Cornwall on the motorway it's more like 3.5, driving around london aggressively (the only way you can drive in London or you'll get cut up constantly!) easily getting 5 Miles/KWh Also I think the digital speedo is accurate rather than the usual 3mph over but I need to check that (going at 30mph on cruise I was being told I was driving 32mph, slow down on those "check your speed" signs)

So my experience of coming from a 700 mile tank diesel is, yes it takes longer but I should have been stopping anyway on the journey and now my hand is forced, going to get some food from M&S and nip to the toilet is at least 15mins and that's all you need to charge for if you stop twice on 300 miles without any range worry (arrived with 30% left)

So much better than I expected.

Of course even though I tried not to I did feel a little smug driving past the huge queues to closed off petrol stations (which surprisingly didn't cause any traffic jam issues)

We drive to London from Bristol once a month and always stop half way for 20 mins on the way to London and about 40 on the way back.

So all being well I should be able to do the 163 miles with charging during the time I would normally be stopped in the LR

I think it's a mindset thing; once more people buy into EVs and get into the "proper stop for a sausage roll and and pee", it will become the "new normal" (OH GOD! Not that expression!!😀). Besides, while you are going for said roll/pee, your car's recharging at the same time. The last time I tried that simultaneously on a garage forecourt, the cheeky buggers asked me to leave! Plus, in 3-5yrs time, the normal range for EVs will prolly be 300-350 miles anyway, so no-one will be talking about this anymore...

I think it's a mindset thing; once more people buy into EVs and get into the "proper stop for a sausage roll and and pee", it will become the "new normal" (OH GOD! Not that expression!!😀). Besides, while you are going for said roll/pee, your car's recharging at the same time. The last time I tried that simultaneously on a garage forecourt, the cheeky buggers asked me to leave! Plus, in 3-5yrs time, the normal range for EVs will prolly be 300-350 miles anyway, so no-one will be talking about this anymore...

I always hated filling my old car up at the pump, raining, out of my way, just annoying. On this trip I actually charged longer than I needed to because I was in the middle of watching a video on youtube. The main thing I love though is the 108 KWh I've added for free at Tesco Podpoints!

We did a trip of 266 miles from Snowdonia to North Devon a few days after getting our 5 LR. Stopped once for just under 2 hours and put the car on a 7kw pod point charger at a Tesco whilst we got some food and visited the little boys room. Made it all the way home, although I was a bit nervous towards the end of the journey.

This was with the boot full of luggage, a good chunk of motorway and some fairly serious hills including Porlock Hill which is I believe, the steepest A road in Britain.

Would have stopped for just as long in an ICE car so the EV was no less convenient.

Electric cost for the whole trip £0 😁

IMG20210919214448.jpg

I did my first long drive, 600 mile round trip, Cornwall to London and didn't have any problems with charging stations, I traveled at night on the way there but during the day on the way back, two stops both ways and got a charging point each time without waiting and just used by debit card, no apps.

The only thing though is range tanks at 70mph especially in Cornwall (too many hills on the A30) so it's 3 Miles/KWh, outside of Cornwall on the motorway it's more like 3.5, driving around london aggressively (the only way you can drive in London or you'll get cut up constantly!) easily getting 5 Miles/KWh Also I think the digital speedo is accurate rather than the usual 3mph over but I need to check that (going at 30mph on cruise I was being told I was driving 32mph, slow down on those "check your speed" signs)

So my experience of coming from a 700 mile tank diesel is, yes it takes longer but I should have been stopping anyway on the journey and now my hand is forced, going to get some food from M&S and nip to the toilet is at least 15mins and that's all you need to charge for if you stop twice on 300 miles without any range worry (arrived with 30% left)

So much better than I expected.
Thanks for the post. What chargers did you stop at? I'm interested because we're going from Cambridge to Cornwall at half term. Will probably take the A34 and join the M4 in Oxfordshire.

Thanks for the post. What chargers did you stop at? I'm interested because we're going from Cambridge to Cornwall at half term. Will probably take the A34 and join the M4 in Oxfordshire.
Stick to Instavolt and Gridserve and you will be fine. There are plenty on route just filter on zap-map

I'm not 100% sure, just used ABRP and imported into google maps but I did use the Exter service ones out and in and they worked well both times, just contactless. 35p KW/h and fast.

All ready for first proper long long drive this weekend in 5LR- no idea how the roof box and load will impact range so planning a some possible options based on Zap-Map calculations

• Glasgow -> Southwaite Services South (Gridserve), 100 miles should be effortless so might do Booths Penrith (Instavolt) if busy or lots of range left. Stops in Carlisle an option if much worse than expected.
  • MFG BP Crow Oxford (MFG EV Power), 103 miles so should have plenty of range from 80% charge at previous stop - lots of chargers here (8 CCS>?). Worse case, Lancaster Park & Ride (6 CCS?) could be used.
  • North Wales, 84 miles - allegedly with 31% left and there is a local Lidl with a rapid and Tesco with Fast chargers
IMG_1622.jpeg

Route back will be
  • North Wales -> Lancaster Park & Ride (BP Pulse), 120 miles with 6 chargers
  • Moffat or Bigger (ChargePoint Scotland - free!!), 119 miles - but there are some older Gridserve or expensive Ionity at Gretna services too.
  • Glasgow, about 50-65% charge left depending on Gretna/Moffat/Bigger

North Wales.
Will you be using the A55 down into North Wales ?.
There are few rapid units both on and just off the A55 Expressway.
Yeah, heading how to Conwy/Llandudno so there are a couple nearby the A55 or the New Lidl at Llandudno Junction looks reasonably priced too. Doesn’t look too bad along by Bangor or near Rhyl too. So long as these are all working

Yeah, heading how to Conwy/Llandudno so there are a couple nearby the A55 or the New Lidl at Llandudno Junction looks reasonably priced too. Doesn’t look too bad along by Bangor or near Rhyl too. So long as these are all working
If you require a charge early on your way down the A55.
Here is a few that you will pass on your way down the A55 to Llandudno.
The first rapid is located on the car park of the "Running Hare" Marston's pub at Ewloe CH5 3DT - It's less than 3 minutes from the A55.
An alternative, if you are a BP Pulse Plus member, there is a rapid unit located at the Beaufort Park Hotel and Conference Centre. Mold. CH7 6RQ.
This will require a diversion of about 3 miles each way from the A55 though ?.
The next rapid along the A55 is also at another Marston's pub at The Roe, St Asaph, North Wales LL17 0HY.
This is also less than 3 minutes from the A55.
The next rapid is only about 5 miles further along at a small service's / petrol station and Starbucks.
At Rhyl Kinmel Park East Bound, Bodelwyddan, Rhyl LL18 5TZ.
Just after the exit for Bodelwyddan castle ( hard to miss ) and the hospital.
It was an Electric Highway unit, not sure if it has been updated yet sorry.
After this, the rapid units starts to get a little thin on the ground.

All ready for first proper long long drive this weekend in 5LR- no idea how the roof box and load will impact range so planning a some possible options based on Zap-Map calculations

• Glasgow -> Southwaite Services South (Gridserve), 100 miles should be effortless so might do Booths Penrith (Instavolt) if busy or lots of range left. Stops in Carlisle an option if much worse than expected.
  • MFG BP Crow Oxford (MFG EV Power), 103 miles so should have plenty of range from 80% charge at previous stop - lots of chargers here (8 CCS>?). Worse case, Lancaster Park & Ride (6 CCS?) could be used.
  • North Wales, 84 miles - allegedly with 31% left and there is a local Lidl with a rapid and Tesco with Fast chargers
View attachment 5122

Route back will be
  • North Wales -> Lancaster Park & Ride (BP Pulse), 120 miles with 6 chargers
  • Moffat or Bigger (ChargePoint Scotland - free!!), 119 miles - but there are some older Gridserve or expensive Ionity at Gretna services too.
  • Glasgow, about 50-65% charge left depending on Gretna/Moffat/Bigger
Always nice to stop in carlisle!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom