First long run in Extended Range version

calwoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
Today’s visit to RSPB Titchwell was a delightful experience. 135 miles getting there (having stayed on the A14 for too long) and 120 miles returning. LKA + TJA switched on from the start and they proved invaluable for safe and relaxed driving on A roads and motorways, but much less useful on country roads with ill-defined verges. However, TJA, even when in stand-by mode after touching the breaks seems to silence the annoying beeps from the LKA. The drive there took nearly 3 hours despite setting 75mph on the motorway sections and 60 on the A14 probably because the satnav chose a long run of 20-mph single-track country lane from Kings Lynn. Arrived without the usual long-journey stiffness and enjoyed the birds on the beach for a couple of hours.
The return journey was pretty slow due to traffic but the TJA took the strain out of driving in a queue. Arriived home with 43 miles left in the tank so the car delivered a real-world range of 298 miles for the day. I can’t recall ever feeling less stressed after a long run in an ICE. I like this car.
Edit: I’d driven 160 miles of the 255 before realising I was in Normal not ECO mode!

Last edited:
Had I known about the extended range when I ordered my trophy I probably would have waited, I like the idea of being able to drive from Manchester to the south coast without having to use a fast charger. I do like my trophy but it's not close to the refinement and comfort of my 66 plate Mazda 3, especially for long journeys. Not a fan of the adaptive cruise control as it's too aggressive when trying to maintain the gaps, I'd rather a quick nudge up or down to change my target speed in increments of 1 rather than the pot luck of holding it up/down and hoping you stop it on the right number like some kind of pub gambling machine. The either all on/off auto high beam is way behind the times considering my Mazda is 7 years older and only cancels segments of the high beam in response to areas where it detects other vehicles leaving the rest of the road well illuminated without blinding other motorists. The ride is a little bouncy castle esk and the stance a bit wallowy. The infotainment and drivers display are blinding on their lowest settings when driving on unlit roads and motorway's, I am going to try a hack to solve this and if successful I'll post it in the mods forum. No auto windscreen wipers, can't decide if the mist like delivery of the windscreen wash is good or bad yet. No front parking sensors. Navigation volume on android auto seems to disappear even though the volumes are up and only reappear if I put on Spotify or Amazon music.

However it is saving me 10-13p per mile and I do around 20,000 per year at the moment and I do love the feeling of the rear wheels pushing me round corners. I don't regret ordering the car, I'm just being honest in my personal experience when compared to my other car.

The infotainment and drivers display are blinding on their lowest settings when driving on unlit roads and motorway's, I am going to try a hack to solve this and if successful I'll post it in the mods forum.

If you can solve the displays being too bright, please post it with a new thread, now it is getting darker I think many of us are finding that the driver's display especially can't be darkened enough for comfortable driving on dark lanes and motorways.

In addition, a 2022 car really ought to have auto dimming displays, not need manual brightness adjustment.

They'd need to fix the auto lights first as any auto dimming on the screens would presumably depend on the same light sensor.

It is perfectly true that the MG4 lacks the refinement in some competitor's equivalent systems. Hopefully this will improve but I suppose it is a question of you-get-what-you-pay for and the cheap price has to come from somewhere.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 520 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back