First Post - Long Range Test Drive...

Hi Everyone, long time lurker, first time posting.

So I went to our local dealer this morning for your pre-booked test drive of the new long range MG5. We'd arranged to have it for a couple of hours on our own so that we both could drive it and we could get it home to see if we can get bicycles in the back easily enough.

We arrived on time but he was dealing with another couple, no problem, we were allocated to another sales guy but of course he knew nothing about our previous discussions and deals etc.
So after giving him all our details over again, explaining what car we were interested in and what accessories we wanted, he took copies of our licenses and we went out to look at the car.

But this wasn't the demo car, this was the sales managers car and it was a bit of a pig sty inside, at least it was a long range version but no idea how he'd got it so messy considering it only arrived last week!
Then our sales guy get in the back and says off you go. I explained we wanted totryt he car on our own and would be back in an hour or so as agreed.

Sadly nobody had told him this either so he hadn't arranged the insurance for that and it turns out the car only had 20 mile range left on it too!

The actual car drove fine as we only live round the corner and we got the bikes in the back though it was a bit of a squeeze.
So went back to the showroom to discuss the details.

We're looking at a PCP deal and I told him what I wanted to pay per month as well as the accessories we wanted to add on, protection pack, spare wheel, locking wheel nuts etc. and a service contract - we'll be doing very low mileage.
He says not to worry about the accessories, they won't add much and comes back with a price £15 over my maximum amount! The re-worked it with a bigger deposit to only £5 one my limit. I asked again about the accessories and he said yes, that'll work out at only £10 extra a month, oh and the service costs will be between £12 -£15 a month!
I asked about the services cost and he said it would be £200'ish for the first year and then more the year after etc! I'm pretty sure I've seen £80'ish and £160'ish on MG website!

Oh and additionally, the accessories costs were all way over list price due to "fitting" costs, +£40 for the wheel nuts, +£100 for the protection pack. I gave up after that and said I'd fit them myself.

Overall not the best dealer experience but I have no options car wise if we want to go electric at this stage.

Haven't named and shamed just yet as expecting a call next week with finally offers etc.

Andy
When I got my exclusive in Feb I took out a 4 service low mileage plan (less than 10000) for a total price of £357. Hope that helps you.

Another typical “Poor Experience” at a dealership.
A very badly presented car with only 20 miles of range remaining.
What are these people doing ?.
Trying NOT to sell cars is the quick answer !.
See, that would have had me voting with my feet Instantly.
The North Bristol dealership told me they had the Long Range for me to test drive, I drove almost an hour to my appointment where I waited an hour after the appointment time to be seen only to find they'd given the Long Range to a customer to try overnight.

I was pretty unimpressed. However the guy responsible seemed to know he cocked up so didn't come out to see me. I ended up with a different person who to be fair to him was really good.

The North Bristol dealership told me they had the Long Range for me to test drive, I drove almost an hour to my appointment where I waited an hour after the appointment time to be seen only to find they'd given the Long Range to a customer to try overnight.

I was pretty unimpressed. However the guy responsible seemed to know he cocked up so didn't come out to see me. I ended up with a different person who to be fair to him was really good.
I have driven both. They both, to me at least, felt the same. Obviously the LR has Mg Pilot, and a much better boot floor, but driving wise there was nothing in it.

I have driven both. They both, to me at least, felt the same. Obviously the LR has Mg Pilot, and a much better boot floor, but driving wise there was nothing in it.
Yeah I suspected as much and was happy with how the regular one drove. Still ordered the LR and hoped that the guy who actually dealt with me got the commission.

However the guy responsible seemed to know he cocked up so didn't come out to see me.
He would not have got the chance to come out and see me.
I would have been in their about 1 hour in front of you !.
Totally incompetent ( and I would have told him so ) and then had the neck to give the other guy the dirty work to do.
What a tool !.

My original dealer (MG Erdington) finally called me back on Friday (after my poor test drive experience on Saturday).
I was hoping to get the manager like promised so I could at least say how poorly I felt I had been treated but it was the vague salesman I’d had originally so I just told him I’d gone elsewhere.

I did say I’ll need a service contracted and he just said call them when I had the car.

At this stage I hope they don’t get any of my money. ☹️

My original dealer (MG Erdington) finally called me back on Friday (after my poor test drive experience on Saturday).
I was hoping to get the manager like promised so I could at least say how poorly I felt I had been treated but it was the vague salesman I’d had originally so I just told him I’d gone elsewhere.

I did say I’ll need a service contracted and he just said call them when I had the car.

At this stage I hope they don’t get any of my money. ☹️
Voting with your feet is always the best policy !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom