Floor carpet tear

LeoRBK

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have noticed a tear on the carpet along the folds on the foot rest. This is after one month and 1100 miles of driving.
The carpet has started pulling away from the plastic foot rest platform revealing body below.
I think it should qualify as a material defect and I am thinking of ringing the dealer.
What do you think?
IMG_20210727_072940.jpg

I have noticed a tear on the carpet along the folds on the foot rest. This is after one month and 1100 miles of driving.
The carpet has started pulling away from the plastic foot rest platform revealing body below.
I think it should qualify as a material defect and I am thinking of ringing the dealer.
What do you think?
View attachment 4179
I appears that something really tough has been hitting that part of the carpet REALLY hard !.
Nice to see that you have the over mats fitted as well.
Trim items are usually covered in the first 12 months, so getting it replaced should not be a problem.
However, replacing that carpet is going to take a LONG time.
Is it a one piece or a two piece carpet ?.
Either way, a LOT of the interior of the car will need to be removed to gain access to the floor carpet.
This can bring on more problems to be honest.
I would be concerned because what ever has caused this problem, is likely to return in the future, unless prevented in some way.
The carpet needs additional a hard wearing surface placed in that area.
You need to understand what has caused this problem in the first place ????.

I appears that something really tough has been hitting that part of the carpet REALLY hard !.
Nice to see that you have the over mats fitted as well.
Trim items are usually covered in the first 12 months, so getting it replaced should not be a problem.
However, replacing that carpet is going to take a LONG time.
Is it a one piece or a two piece carpet ?.
Either way, a LOT of the interior of the car will need to be removed to gain access to the floor carpet.
This can bring on more problems to be honest.
I would be concerned because what ever has caused this problem, is likely to return in the future, unless prevented in some way.
The carpet needs additional a hard wearing surface placed in that area.
You need to understand what has caused this problem in the first place ????.
Honestly, I do not expect anything other than my feet.
I wear size 11 hiking shoes but I have only ever driven my car with them once. Normally I am wearing trainers.
Come autumn and winter I will be in my hiking shoes all the time.

I would looking at your photo it is not just the footware that you have on but also the way you are moving your foot onto the rest. I looks as you move your foot sideways that you may be just glancing the edge where the carpet meets the protector. It is probably something you do not even notice doing, you will have to make a conscious effort to lift your foot more when moving it to the rest until it becomes a natural action. I would think it would be covered under the warranty.

What do you think?
View attachment 4179
Hi LeoRBK after 1100 miles mate don’t wait for comments on here, get it back to the dealer ASAP and get it sorted and if it needs to be replaced and the interior has to come out to do it that’s there problem not yours mate take it back now
Les

Hi LeoRBK after 1100 miles mate don’t wait for comments on here, get it back to the dealer ASAP and get it sorted and if it needs to be replaced and the interior has to come out to do it that’s there problem not yours mate take it back now
Les
Although I totally agree Les, I think it is really important to identify just WHAT has caused this early failure in the first place.
Otherwise, unless there is / was a fault in the carpet material, that has caused the carpet to fail so early, then the new carpet is very likely to fail in the very same way.
If it is a “One Piece” front to back carpet, then removing the interior to gain access to replace the faulty carpet is no small task.
The seats are pretty straight forward to remove, but after that removing all of the plastic trims etc etc has to be done very carefully or the likely hood is, a lot of the trim tags are likely to break in the process.
This could result in a long wait for parts or a car that has trim rattle / fit problems on its return to the customer.
I am not saying it should NOT be rectified to the customer’s satisfaction, but it is important to firstly identify the cause and then the customer made aware of time scale that this job is likely to take.
Not a five minute job, that’s all I am saying.

Booked in with the dealer next week. Will keep you posted.

My suspicion is that the position of center console means my feet inadvertently slip to edge of foot rest. Maybe there was a material defect and it accelerated when the soles brushed against the area.

IMG_20210728_100142__01.jpg
IMG_20210728_100749.jpg

Hi lovemyev, I totally agree with all that you have said I know it’s not a five minute job but all I’m saying to Leo is don’t wait for opinions from here get it back to the dealer Asap in the first place
Les
Totally agree Les !.
The sooner the issue is flagged up, the better.
I could be wrong here, but I am of the opinion that "Hard & Soft" trim items and only covered in the first 12 months of ownership ?.
This is the case with most of the brands, I have found.
In the case of the OP - A better long term solution would be if the rubber / plastic pad could be modified / increased in it's size and shape.
Somehow producing a 90 degree bend on a larger pad, therefore including some part of the foot rest in some way ???.
If not, when the carpet is replaced the problem is going to return again very soon.
The car has only covered 1,100 miles, so clearly something is causing this rapid wear factor.
Are there any other owners suffering from this issue, do we know ?.
There was a reported problem, where one owner had worn a hole in the drivers carpet area with the heal of his shoe.
He did not have any protective over mats fitted from new, I seem to remember ?.

There was a reported problem, where one owner had worn a hole in the drivers carpet area with the heal of his shoe.
He did not have any protective over mats fitted from new, I seem to remember ?.
My "work" car is a Subaru XV with auto (CVT) gearbox. I collected the car off a colleague who had covered about 12kmiles in the first 4months from new (these cars are high-milers!). In that space of time (4months) the carpet where his heel rotated was completely worn through - hard to believe but true. No mats fitted of course, because ....why would you spend and extra £30 :). I suspect he was a bit heavy-footed TBH.

I have to say that unless the carpet in LeoRBK's car is either flawed or fitted badly then I wouldn't really expect the dealer to replace it. And they would hardly admit to the carpet being of inadequate quality in the first place which it probably is (otherwise they would end up retrofitting every car in existence). It would be a better design if the hard plastic part of the footrest extended around the sharp corner?

It could and should be reported as a warranty claim but the underlying design seems weak so it could happen again.
Could be a project for someone with a 3D printer.

My "work" car is a Subaru XV with auto (CVT) gearbox. I collected the car off a colleague who had covered about 12kmiles in the first 4months from new (these cars are high-milers!). In that space of time (4months) the carpet where his heel rotated was completely worn through - hard to believe but true. No mats fitted of course, because ....why would you spend and extra £30 :). I suspect he was a bit heavy-footed TBH.

I have to say that unless the carpet in LeoRBK's car is either flawed or fitted badly then I wouldn't really expect the dealer to replace it. And they would hardly admit to the carpet being of inadequate quality in the first place which it probably is (otherwise they would end up retrofitting every car in existence). It would be a better design if the hard plastic part of the footrest extended around the sharp corner?
I understand what you saying however warranty aside the whole vehicle including all trims fittings electrics etc have to remain of a saleable and usable quality under thape 'Sale Of Goods Act' it is a piece of legislation that many people in the UK are not aware of and very seldom use. Within the act it states 'what a reasonable person expects' so can cover a period longer than a warranty, in the case of this carpet a reasonable person would expect it to last considerably longer than it has under these circumstances. Taking until account the age of the vehicle it's use and condition. I speak with experience having been a senior manager within the retail sector for a number of years it is something taught at the start of your employment. Hope this is helpful.

Well I hope they do sort it out, of course - I was just being devil's advocate really.
Personally I think it comes down to design in this case - was the carpet and the foot-rest configuration suitably designed and thought through in the first place and then tested sufficiently? Who knows - probably not. Could it be considered a wear and tear item like a clutch or brakes (which are normally excluded from warranty)?
As I say, let's hope it works out for Leo.

Well I hope they do sort it out, of course - I was just being devil's advocate really.
Personally I think it comes down to design in this case - was the carpet and the foot-rest configuration suitably designed and thought through in the first place and then tested sufficiently? Who knows - probably not. Could it be considered a wear and tear item like a clutch or brakes (which are normally excluded from warranty)?
As I say, let's hope it works out for Leo.
Did it all go wrong when converted from left to right hand drive?

Did it all go wrong when converted from left to right hand drive?
Good point.
Looking at the pics in more detail, I'd say that the hard plastic part of the footrest isn't wide enough for LeoRBKs trainers the heel of which looks like it overhangs it by quite a bit. This is a criticism of the footrest design rather than of his (rather stylish) trainers :)

Hi Leo copy of your post #10 28/07/21, not sure if I’ve missed something I was just wondering how you got on with the carpet problem any news for us
Les
Booked in with the dealer next week. Will keep you posted.

My suspicion is that the position of center console means my feet inadvertently slip to edge of foot rest. Maybe there was a material defect and it accelerated when the soles brushed against the area.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom