Folding Mirrors - am I being thick?

NewtoEV

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I’ve got a Trophy and have the electric wing mirrors set to automatically fold closed when I lock the car, which is great.
BUT what about folding them at other times like parking in a cramped space or in a carwash? I can’t find any option or button to do this. Am I just being super thick?

I’ve got a Trophy and have the electric wing mirrors set to automatically fold closed when I lock the car, which is great.
BUT what about folding them at other times like parking in a cramped space or in a carwash? I can’t find any option or button to do this. Am I just being super thick?
I don't have the car with me right now but I am certain there's a position on the mirror adjuster that does this.

I found this in the manual:

Electric Folding *
When the vehicle is powered on, rotate the round knob to O position, and push the knob down.The door mirrors will be folded automatically. Pushing the knob downwards again will return the mirrors to their original position.
Note: While unlocking/locking the vehicle, the exterior rearview mirrors will be deployed/folded automatically.
Note: Electrical folding door mirrors that have been moved from their positions by manual or accidental means it can be reset by operating the knob to complete fold and deployment one time.

I found this in the manual:

Electric Folding *
When the vehicle is powered on, rotate the round knob to O position, and push the knob down.The door mirrors will be folded automatically. Pushing the knob downwards again will return the mirrors to their original position.
Note: While unlocking/locking the vehicle, the exterior rearview mirrors will be deployed/folded automatically.
Note: Electrical folding door mirrors that have been moved from their positions by manual or accidental means it can be reset by operating the knob to complete fold and deployment one time.
You absolute star! I’m such a muppet!
Thank you!

This is slightly worrying. In fact, it is the star that is worrying.

I have the SE SR model of the MG4. I have not yet put it inside my garage as the garage is still occupied by my previous car. Hopefully, the salvage company will come and get it soon. However, backing up to the garage door to use the charger, I can see that the MG4 is slightly wider than the Golf that's currently inside. I could get the Golf in without folding its mirrors if I got the line spot on. I don't think that's going to be possible with the MG4.

If the mirrors can only be folded in the Trophy model, how am I supposed to get the MG4 SE into my garage? Surely this can't be right?

This is slightly worrying. In fact, it is the star that is worrying.

I have the SE SR model of the MG4. I have not yet put it inside my garage as the garage is still occupied by my previous car. Hopefully, the salvage company will come and get it soon. However, backing up to the garage door to use the charger, I can see that the MG4 is slightly wider than the Golf that's currently inside. I could get the Golf in without folding its mirrors if I got the line spot on. I don't think that's going to be possible with the MG4.

If the mirrors can only be folded in the Trophy model, how am I supposed to get the MG4 SE into my garage? Surely this can't be right?
Manually fold them? Fairly sure they fold, just not electrically

From page 67 of the user manual

Manual Folding *
For vehicles fitted with the manual door mirror folding
option, the exterior mirrors can only be folded backwards
manually.
Electric Folding *
When the vehicle is powered on, rotate the round knob
to O position, and push the knob down.The door mirrors
will be folded automatically. Pushing the knob downwards
again will return the mirrors to their original position.
Note: While unlocking/locking the vehicle, the
exterior rearview mirrors will be deployed/folded
automatically.
Note: Electrical folding door mirrors that have been
moved from their positions by manual or accidental
means it can be reset by operating the knob to
complete fold and deployment one time.

Yes, both of these options have the star, which seems to mean it's a feature only available on the Trophy version.
Not sure that’s correct, not according to page 17 of the manual anyway…

“Asterisk

An asterisk (*) appearing within the text identifies features or items of equipment that are either optional, or that only some vehicles in the model range are equipped with.”

…therefore it could be the case that the SE manual fold, whilst the Trophy electrically fold.

Not sure that’s correct, not according to page 17 of the manual anyway…

“Asterisk

An asterisk (*) appearing within the text identifies features or items of equipment that are either optional, or that only some vehicles in the model range are equipped with.”

…therefore it could be the case that the SE manual fold, whilst the Trophy electrically fold.

Maybe, I might have misunderstood the asterisk in that case. But even then, what do they mean by manual fold? "For vehicles fitted with the manual door mirror folding option, the exterior mirrors can only be folded backwards manually." Are they seriously expecting drivers to get out and walk round the car to fold the mirrors, in the pouring rain or thick snow, so the car will actually fit into the garage? In 2023?

I mean I can cope without automatic windscreen wipers but this seems pretty basic.

Maybe, I might have misunderstood the asterisk in that case. But even then, what do they mean by manual fold? "For vehicles fitted with the manual door mirror folding option, the exterior mirrors can only be folded backwards manually." Are they seriously expecting drivers to get out and walk round the car to fold the mirrors, in the pouring rain or thick snow, so the car will actually fit into the garage? In 2023?

I mean I can cope without automatic windscreen wipers but this seems pretty basic.

Yes that’s what they mean.
Electric folding mirrors aren’t ‘basic’ at all, they’re still pretty rare on entry model cars.
Our base model Evoque doesn’t have them, I have got into the habit of walking around the car when we park and thumping them in.
I knew my SE SR didn’t have them (and didn’t care)
Were you mis-sold the car as having them or just a wrong assumption on your part?

Just a wrong assumption on my part. I haven't had a car without that capability for 25 years. Disappointing.

Well I can only assume your cars for the past 25 years have been top-end models, or have had the folding mirrors added as a single option or part of an option pack.
We’ve had dozens of cars over the past 20 years, folding mirrors have been very rare even when the rest of the car is kitted out with all manner of stuff like leather heated and ventilated seats and pano roofs etc etc blablabla
Welcome to the world of ‘poverty spec’ base models 😊

Hah. I've only had two cars over the past 25 years. The last one was bought in 2009. I don't remember the details of how it was specced. I actively didn't want most of the bells and whistles on the Trophy model. It didn't occur to me that this was either a bell or a whistle. Maybe the car will go in with just the driver's side mirror folded. I'll have to try it and see.

Heck, even the courtesy car I was given at the end of last month had electrically-folded mirrors. In fact the damn things folded themselves sometimes even when I hadn't pressed anything. I never did figure out what that was all about.

Last edited:
Hah. I've only had two cars over the past 25 years. The last one was bought in 2009. I don't remember the details of how it was specced. I actively didn't want most of the bells and whistles on the Trophy model. It didn't occur to me that this was either a bell or a whistle. Maybe the car will go in with just the driver's side mirror folded. I'll have to try it and see.

Heck, even the courtesy car I was given at the end of last month had electrically-folded mirrors. In fact the damn things folded themselves sometimes even when I hadn't pressed anything. I never did figure out what that was all about.
The list of things that are Trophy only is long. I have heard many people say they don't think the Trophy justifies its price premium, but it certainly did for us, not that electric folding mirrors would have made the difference per se - we don't need those - but there are other features we wanted.

In the UK many people who have a garage fill it with stuff or use it as a utility room rather than bother to put their car in it, so presumably electric folding mirrors was not deemed a high priority for the base spec.

It's the one thing that has really disappointed me about the car. Other little things I can live with easily. But to get into my garage I reverse (using the mirrors to see where I'm going) until the mirrors are a few inches from the door-frame, then fold them, then reverse until they're clear of the frame, then open them again. It's going to be hard to get the car in without that facility, especially as I think it is a little wider than my last car (which would go in without folding the mirrors if I got the line spot on).

Not only did I not want (and I mean actively not want) nearly all the extras on the Trophy, I'm busy switching off unwanted bells and whistles on the SE too! Given that the wing mirrors already have electric angle adjustment, it seems ridiculous corner-cutting not to give them the folding capacity too. Is it really such a costly addition for the manufacturer?

Round here we try to keep our cars inside where possible, at least in winter. (Although keeping bird poo off them in summer also has its points.) Here's why.

snow13.jpg

I've got plenty room for the bikes and the wheelie-bins and the garden tools in the other half of the garage anyway.

ETA: Since the power points I'm using to charge the car are in the garage, my intention is that the MG4 is going to be inside more often than the Golf, actually. At the moment the Golf is still in there waiting for the salvage truck, and I'm charging the MG4 backed hard up to the garage door, which is slightly open at the bottom to let the lead out. It works, but it's not ideal. MG4 tucked up safe and cosy right beside the power point, and the door completely shut, is my plan.

Last edited:
It's the one thing that has really disappointed me about the car. Other little things I can live with easily. But to get into my garage I reverse (using the mirrors to see where I'm going) until the mirrors are a few inches from the door-frame, then fold them, then reverse until they're clear of the frame, then open them again. It's going to be hard to get the car in without that facility, especially as I think it is a little wider than my last car (which would go in without folding the mirrors if I got the line spot on).

Not only did I not want (and I mean actively not want) nearly all the extras on the Trophy, I'm busy switching off unwanted bells and whistles on the SE too! Given that the wing mirrors already have electric angle adjustment, it seems ridiculous corner-cutting not to give them the folding capacity too. Is it really such a costly addition for the manufacturer?

Round here we try to keep our cars inside where possible, at least in winter. (Although keeping bird poo off them in summer also has its points.) Here's why.

View attachment 16929
The MG4 SE only achieves its low low price due to aggressive cost cutting all over the car, so yes, it isn't unreasonable.

Would be better if you could choose the options you wanted but then the car would cost more to make with all the variations on the assembly line to manage. We can't have it both ways.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back