Forward camera not working

Boilerboy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi there. I have a problem with the camera located behind the drivers mirror. It has never worked from the moment i first took delivery of the car. This means that the following systems do not function and i get a whole bunch of warning messages every time i get into the car:
  • Emergency braking system
  • Cruise control
  • Lane keep assist
  • Traffic sign recognition
  • Auto main beam
  • Something else with three digit initial name escapes me
When i took delivery of the car in December it was - 6oC, and i was told that the sensor for these systems was thought to be frozen. This turned out not to be the case and these systems have never worked. Other than this i am happy with the rest of the car.

I have been to MG to have this looked at a few times but they don't know what the problem is. They first assumed it was software related and have taken two visits to update everything they can, but the systems are still not working. They said that this is not a problem that they have come across before and i have not seen anything on this forum about a similar issue.

I just wanted to ask you wonderful people if you have had this issue and how it was solved?

MG said that they will get back to me this week and i will feed back what they report.

Thanks in advance

broken camera ? faulty wiring or bad connection of the plug , if you unplug makes it any difference ? by unplugging no difference , could mean bad camera sensor , wiring or plug . don't have they a spare camera from a test car to swap ? a lest then you know what's wrong .are put your camera in the test car to see of the errors come on that car ? I think it least they can do to help you ?

Hi there. I have a problem with the camera located behind the drivers mirror. It has never worked from the moment i first took delivery of the car. This means that the following systems do not function and i get a whole bunch of warning messages every time i get into the car:
  • Cruise control
  • Lane keep assist
  • Auto main beam
When i took delivery of the car in December it was - 6oC, and i was told that the sensor for these systems was thought to be frozen. This turned out not to be the case and these systems have never worked. Other than this i am happy with the rest of the car.

I have been to MG to have this looked at a few times but they don't know what the problem is. They first assumed it was software related and have taken two visits to update everything they can, but the systems are still not working. They said that this is not a problem that they have come across before and i have not seen anything on this forum about a similar issue.

I just wanted to ask you wonderful people if you have had this issue and how it was solved?

MG said that they will get back to me this week and i will feed back what they report.

Thanks in advance
I haven't heard of other reports of this.

Most likely to be:
  • wiring fault
  • faulty camera

The dealership should be able to diagnose. If it is the camera it depends how long it will take to ship this over from China (or maybe they have stock already in the UK). Waiting times for MG parts are highly variable depending on what it is.

If you lack confidence in your dealer you can take it to another dealer as a warranty issue.

So much for the 7 year warranty. Car was purchased in December and still not diagnosed.
I fail to see the connection? Warranty doesn't come with repair timescales unfortunately. Ask some others who needed a new steering rack on their MG model...(not a 4)

Personally I would not have driven off the forecourt but given they are where they are I would be asking for a replacement or rejection given they acknowledged it was faulty on collection. That might put a rocket under them🚀 to do something about it but that is only my opinion. You should not have to go to another dealership but I get the reasoning

Thanks for your messages. I too guessed that the problem is either wiring or a faulty camera. Presumably this passed the end of line testing, then faulted after it left the factory.

Because i have to take time off and my nearest dealership is a 50 minutes drive away (no dealerships in Worcestershire unfortunately) they said they will come to me or collect to do the work.

It does seem like they are trying their best, but it seems that they are constrained by head office because they have to ask permission to do anything, after having first taken photographs of everything. It takes too long to do anything this way.

As you suggest i would have just tried to fit another camera or examine the wiring to rule it in or out. I would do this myself if i didnt run the risk of being accused of causing the fault.

As for when i collected the car the reasoning made sense as one of my recent cars had a sensor/camera system that sometimes faulted when the screen was frozen. As i had also just sold my previous car my options were limited but with a 7 year warrantee it has to be sorted.......right?

I will let you know what they intend to do next after i chase then tomorrow.

It does seem like they are trying their best, but it seems that they are constrained by head office because they have to ask permission to do anything, after having first taken photographs of everything

Sounds all too familiar unfortunately...but that is not your problem

Last edited:
I fail to see the connection? Warranty doesn't come with repair timescales unfortunately. Ask some others who needed a new steering rack on their MG model...(not a 4)

Personally I would not have driven off the forecourt but given they are where they are I would be asking for a replacement or rejection given they acknowledged it was faulty on collection. That might put a rocket under them🚀 to do something about it but that is only my opinion. You should not have to go to another dealership but I get the reasoning
I disagree, the following is a guideline from a leading car manufacturer, and the keywords here are quickly and effectively.

NEW CAR WARRANTY GUIDELINES.​

Warranty repairs will be quickly and effectively carried out if you follow the guidelines below:​

Only timescales of any sort in MG warranty are

MG approved parts are used for repairs effected under warranty, except as an emergency repair, which must be made good within 14 days using components approved by MG.

Not the best of ideas to accept the car with a known fault. Has the dealer been proactive or were you left to do all the running?
I have had to do all the chasing so far and they have never phoned me when they have promised to, thus far.

I would rather that they kept the car until it was fixed whilst giving me a courtesy car to run around in.

I work for an appliance manufacturer and sometimes things go wrong, but it is how you deal with it that is important. I know plenty of people with new cars (including Jaguar, Audi and Porshe's) and ALL of them are reporting faults of some kind with their cars. One of them even had a Mercedes courtesy car that broke down the next day. So i accept that things can and do go wrong and it is affecting all car makers right now, but i do wish that the customer service was better at MG. If they got that right they would be a force hard to beat in the industry. Just because you are a budget brand doesnt mean you cant call a person back when you promised...

I disagree, the following is a guideline from a leading car manufacturer, and the keywords here are quickly and effectively.

NEW CAR WARRANTY GUIDELINES.​

Warranty repairs will be quickly and effectively carried out if you follow the guidelines below:​

Quickly, is relative to the issue, a know fault can be quickly fixed a new issue has to be worked out.

• Cruise control
  • Lane keep assist
  • Auto main beam

Thanks in advance
I get an intermittent warning that the camer is not working - it always comes back on - and have attibuted it to dirt; but am I wrong on this? Because I have had bits of screen 'missing' for an hour or two e.g. the far right and far left tabs - which reappear after a park > restart. My first year serive is coming up so what do you chaps think?

This is EXACTLY the same problem I had with my Trophy, delivered last November. Luckily the dealer spotted this during the PDI after they tried to install one of the MG recommended software updates, which crashed and bricked the camera, and put me in a courtesy car while my car was being diagnosed.

Long story short, MG UK told them to remove the camera module and return it to HQ to have the software re-installed. This did not fix it, so they tried it a second time, which also did not fully resolve the problem. After several other unsuccessful attempts at loading new bits of software then loading the same software in different sequences, as directed by MG UK, HQ finally gave in and sent a replacement camera module, which was fitted to my car and now works.

My dealership were great throughout, and in fairness to them this was a software/computer vision issue, which they were totally in the hands of MG UK to resolve. As we have seen from other threads, there seems to be a lot of to-ing and fro-wing between MG UK and the development team in China when these issues occur, and it appears to me that they don't seem to have the technical expertise in the UK currently to resolve these issues. Hopefully that will get better over time.

Hope this helps.

Can't tell anything about warranty but can confirm that the assistants fail. I just drove from Germany to Italy through Switzerland. In Switzerland it did snow but not below zero. All assistants did fail, until we crossed the alps. On the italian side they all came back. Hurray.

Can't tell anything about warranty but can confirm that the assistants fail. I just drove from Germany to Italy through Switzerland. In Switzerland it did snow but not below zero. All assistants did fail, until we crossed the alps. On the italian side they all came back. Hurray.
i don't know if radar have heating or not ? I have before a Renault Espace PH2 with lots of electronic issues , I have one time the same error melting snow on the radar ! It was clought completely with snow but it gave an error on the dashboard to tel the radar was blocked ! this radar have not heating . I know some car radar have heated shield. MG4 d'ont know ? I still waiting for delivery .

I have an update to share with you. MG have finally diagnosed the problem as a faulty camera and they have duly placed an order for a new one from China. So it will be some weeks before they take delivery of it and fit it, but it should be an end to the issue, finally!

In their attempts to fix the issue they updated various modules and the latest infortainment update (R33 version 2) has vastly improved sat nav freezes, radio reception stopping, blank energy graph plot, Amazon prime music stopping. I have had no reason to reset the system once since the latest firmware was applied. The ONLY negative is that the initial bootup when you first activate the car takes considerably longer, but if waiting 30 seconds while it boots up is the price for having it working nicely, then i can cope with that.

When the new camera is fitted, i will have to find something else to complain about (like the economy or the youth of today🤣🤣)

Cheers for now

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel