Free home charging point ?

grayoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Just spoke to a couple of colleagues(electricians) about installing a home charging kit. They basically said, as I'm buying a new MG, the garage supplying the car should provide a free charging point with free installation.
Totally new to EV's so excuse the ignorance, does any of this sound right ?

Just spoke to a couple of colleagues(electricians) about installing a home charging kit. They basically said, as I'm buying a new MG, the garage supplying the car should provide a free charging point with free installation.
Certainly wasn’t for me. That ship sailed a while ago at my dealership.

I had to cough up £850.00 for a Zappi Smarty thingy.

Damn, need to uprate the main fuse, currently only 60A, tails need doing, thought this might be all within the cost of EDF install, but they have a little caveat, stating extra charges maybe applicable.

Damn, need to uprate the main fuse, currently only 60A, tails need doing, thought this might be all within the cost of EDF install, but they have a little caveat, stating extra charges maybe applicable.
Get them to install smart meters. There is no charge for that and they will upgrade your tails while they are there. I even got him to upgrade my 60A fuse to a 80A fuse included. He even fitted a junction box and isolator in the meter box to make it easier for the charger installer.

When you get a quote for an EVSE install they will contact the DNO who will arrange a load check and then upgrade your fuse.

It very much depends on the manufacturer/seller.

I was* supposed to be getting a new Volvo V60 T6 Recharge R Design PHEV as my new company car. At the time Volvo had an offer on for a free charge point. Their supplier was being very slow so they changed the offer (if you wanted it) to a £500 contribution instead, which I decided to take.

I then sourced a local company who installed a Wallbox Pulsar Plus for £940. Off this I got a government OLEV grant (£350) and an Energy Saving Trust grant (£250) ... coupled with the £500 from Volvo I essentially got a free charge point plus £160 spending money. :)

* I ordered the car at the start of October 2021, with an initial ETA of March 2022. This then became April, early May, late May ... and then Volvo in their wisdom decided to cancel the order altogether. 🙄

This was to be a new company car - my employer still hasn't decided what they're going to do (so I'm stuck with my Insignia diesel which will be 5 years old in October, and which is costing me almost £100 extra in BIK (edit: per month) than the Volvo would have been), so I've told my employer to go "do one" and I'm taking early retirement in January 2023.

tl;dr - that's why I have a charge point but no EV, and why I'm now looking to get my own car for the first time in 12+ years :)

Last edited:
It very much depends on the manufacturer/seller.

I was* supposed to be getting a new Volvo V60 T6 Recharge R Design PHEV as my new company car. At the time Volvo had an offer on for a free charge point. Their supplier was being very slow so they changed the offer (if you wanted it) to a £500 contribution instead, which I decided to take.

I then sourced a local company who installed a Wallbox Pulsar Plus for £940. Off this I got a government OLEV grant (£350) and an Energy Saving Trust grant (£250) ... coupled with the £500 from Volvo I essentially got a free charge point plus £160 spending money. :)

* I ordered the car at the start of October 2021, with an initial ETA of March 2022. This then became April, early May, late May ... and then Volvo in their wisdom decided to cancel the order altogether. 🙄

This was to be a new company car - my employer still hasn't decided what they're going to do (so I'm stuck with my Insignia diesel which will be 5 years old in October, and which is costing me almost £100 extra in BIK than the Volvo would have been), so I've told my employer to go "do one" and I'm taking early retirement in January 2023.

tl;dr - that's why I have a charge point but no EV, and why I'm now looking to get my own car for the first time in 12+ years :)
Nice one, I'm retiring, quite very early - had enough too - in Feb 2023 - can't wait🥳

Just spoke to a couple of colleagues(electricians) about installing a home charging kit. They basically said, as I'm buying a new MG, the dealer supplying the car should provide a free charging point with free installation.
It would be nice but no, I'm afraid that they don't do it any more. You might find some funding out there but I doubt it now. If you do, let everyone know

I'm like you, totally new to all this. I've been told by a few people that I should be able to get one fitted free, but when I asked the dealer they said they didn't deal with that kind of thing at all. It had also been suggested that my energy supplier might provide one free but this is not the case either. if you find someone who would then please let me know won't you?

This thread is weird. When I replied the only posts here were the OP and @moosetication's one. Now the thread shows my reply as being at 5.23pm ... erm, I was sitting having my dinner then, and had posted my reply at least an hour earlier (if not more). 🙄

Edit: have two threads been merged? (The thread I originally replied to was in the MG4 forum).

Oops, I meant to put thread into MG4 forum.
Getting great replies here though - thx all.

Last edited:
7,534 days until I retire.. Urgh.

Free charger* ship sailed around the time the OLEV grant of £350 toward a charger* appeared. Now that's also gone and you're going to be looking around £1000 for a 'standard' install, I just factored the cost of a charger into my vehicle purchase cost, and that its a one off cost and now I have a charger*

*yes we all know its an EVSE and the charger is actually in the car, this is just the power source, but it's much easier for people to relate to the term charger.

7,534 days until I retire.. Urgh.

Free charger* ship sailed around the time the OLEV grant of £350 toward a charger* appeared. Now that's also gone and you're going to be looking around £1000 for a 'standard' install, I just factored the cost of a charger into my vehicle purchase cost, and that its a one off cost and now I have a charger*

*yes we all know its an EVSE and the charger is actually in the car, this is just the power source, but it's much easier for people to relate to the term charger.
You're lucky, I'm still working four days a week at the age of 75 with no prospect of ever retiring if the current economic situation prevails!

What is the best value tethered ev charge point installed? Nothing fancy, but one that adjust charge automatically depending on household load. I have a 60A main fuse. Any thoughts, I see a lot of people mention the zappi v2.1 at around £1075 installed, anything cheaper and just as good, I don't have solar. Like I said before, total newbie to all this, but my MG4 is being delivered within the next three weeks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom