Free rapid charging :)

JodyS21

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I don't do rapid charging very often at all, but a week away at the coast necessitated a brief stop for a quick bit of juice.

Wasn't quite sure what was going on, as it just started charging when I plugged it in etc without having to swipe a card or do anything on an app etc.
Got to 15mins, enough juice to get home, stopped the charge via the screen in normal way, nothing about payment mentioned - freebie!

Looked into it a little bit more afterwards, looks like the machine was offline (although zap map usage was up today) and therefore it just lets you charge for free.

Making me think, these rapid chargers probably all use a mobile connection for data connectivity. How easy could it be to block the chargers mobile signal and get free charges lol.
Wrap some foil around the machine? Carry a mobile faraday cage around in the car to pop over the charger? Not sure you can legally buy a mobile signal blocker device.
(I am joking by the way)

IMG_5259.JPG

Most chargers are set to - no signal, no vend. :( its just the Ecotricity units that are set to free vend with no signal, as back in the old days, these were the only units around and often if the unit cant connect to the 'net, you cant call customer service...

I don't do rapid charging very often at all, but a week away at the coast necessitated a brief stop for a quick bit of juice.

Wasn't quite sure what was going on, as it just started charging when I plugged it in etc without having to swipe a card or do anything on an app etc.
Got to 15mins, enough juice to get home, stopped the charge via the screen in normal way, nothing about payment mentioned - freebie!

Looked into it a little bit more afterwards, looks like the machine was offline (although zap map usage was up today) and therefore it just lets you charge for free.

Making me think, these rapid chargers probably all use a mobile connection for data connectivity. How easy could it be to block the chargers mobile signal and get free charges lol.
Wrap some foil around the machine? Carry a mobile faraday cage around in the car to pop over the charger? Not sure you can legally buy a mobile signal blocker device.
(I am joking by the way)

View attachment 4296
might be something to do with that spider in the screen... :D

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom