front camera and front sensors

Scaeva

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all, just bought my MG4 Excite 51 today!

When I went to park it in my garage, which has a lot of boxes and crates, my previous car (Toyota Camry 2005 model) fits tight.
The MG4 has plenty of room to spare but I noticed while driving it forward as close to the wall as I could that there were no beeps/alarms/distance alerts, sounds or notifications.

I tested reversing and distance/beeps/alerts are working fine. The reversing camera also worked well.

Does a sensor for this even exist, or does anyone know if I can access the front camera while parking?

No and yes, there are no parking sensors on the front and I'm not sure (unwilling test) the AEB would help. You can access the 360 camera from the infotainment screen, and put it on the left star button if you use it a lot, well you can on a UK spec Trophy.

If it has the 360 cameras, I indicate left as I enter my garage which brings up the 360 camera view and shows me how close I am on the left hand side of the car. Then as I have entered a while I turn off the indicator and the front camera comes on instead of the side camera. This then shows me how close I am to some cushions I have plaved at the back of the garage in appropriate places to cushion any slight nudge. Works well for me but you do need the option turned on (360 camera on at low speeds when indicating).

If it has the 360 cameras, I indicate left as I enter my garage which brings up the 360 camera view and shows me how close I am on the left hand side of the car. Then as I have entered a while I turn off the indicator and the front camera comes on instead of the side camera. This then shows me how close I am to some cushions I have plaved at the back of the garage in appropriate places to cushion any slight nudge. Works well for me but you do need the option turned on (360 camera on at low speeds when indicating).
Excellent tip JonnyG will do that, but without the cushions 🤣 Just need the car now😢

Hi all, just bought my MG4 Excite 51 today!

When I went to park it in my garage, which has a lot of boxes and crates, my previous car (Toyota Camry 2005 model) fits tight.
The MG4 has plenty of room to spare but I noticed while driving it forward as close to the wall as I could that there were no beeps/alarms/distance alerts, sounds or notifications.

I tested reversing and distance/beeps/alerts are working fine. The reversing camera also worked well.

Does a sensor for this even exist, or does anyone know if I can access the front camera while parking?

I find this a slight problem too. I'm not good at judging how close I am to a wall (or another car) in front of me and the SE has no front sensors. The car's nose is a bit shorter than those of us used to ICE cars generally expect, but this can be a two-edged sword as knowing that can encourage the feeling that maybe we can go a little bit closer.

I love the parking sensors on the rear, and I really wish we had them on the front as well.

It's the base model (Excite 51). It's quite perplexing, it obviously has sensors to detect the car in front and how far away you are from it for the MG Pilot to work, and it has cameras to detect road signs/speed limits. I guess we're just paywalled out of being able to access them being on the base model. I preferred the base model due to the LFP only battery.

I've sent my MG dealer and my autoelectrician some questions to see if they can come up with any solutions for me, such as adding ultrasonic sensors to the front, though I'm scared about interfering with any other sensors that may already on the front.

1698750862308.jpeg

There are always compromises when lower spec models of any car are purchased and this is one of them. The 360 degree camera on the higher spec models is excellent. I have it programmed to the RH star button & use it in car parks and also when parallel parking on the street. I don't worry about my garage as I have worked out exactly where to stop to allow the door to come down with a minimum clearance and plenty of room at the front to walk around,

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back