Front camera blocked error on a frosty day (UK)

wenkatn

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Went for a long trip yesterday in my trophy long range after clearing the frost which took 10 minutes by remote heating the cabin. All was good for about 10 miles. Then came the first red alert saying the front camera was blocked and then all sorts of warning on features that rely on front camera like front collision avoidance, adaptive cruise control, lane assist etc. i quickly stopped and checked the front camera which was fine and no condensation inside. Just gave a wipe on the outside and started driving again but the alerts were still there. After a while i tried powering off and then back on the engine which cleared all the errors and warnings. I think we will be seeing more of this during cold weather. At least it didn’t stop me from driving but only disabled a handful of automatic features.

Could it have been the radar in the front bumper rather than the camera if the camera looked good ?

In the future, I suspect any sleet / snow could soon block that. It always used to cause warnings in VW Golfs that had the low down radar.

How did people find their MG4 last Winter ?

Could it have been the radar in the front bumper rather than the camera if the camera looked good ?

In the future, I suspect any sleet / snow could soon block that. It always used to cause warnings in VW Golfs that had the low down radar.

How did people find their MG4 last Winter ?
The error clearly stated that the front camera was blocked. I don’t think it’s the front radar in the bumper as that was clear as well of any obstacles.

My 1st frost. Preheated for 10 mins to prevent scraping, drove about 4 miles, went to the shop got back in and it pinged speed limit detection unavailable or words to that effect.

My wife has just back from a w/end away. She told me that on Saturday morning she had an error message about the camera being blocked after she had driven for a while. It was -3C here Saturday morning, but the car was pre-heated and frost free when she set off.

So, a solution to LKA issues is park your car in a freezer!

Are folks in the Scandi countries seeing this error message?

IIRC it also switches off blind spot detection, rear collision, parking sensors and possibly something else, which made it undesirable for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto here. First frost. Not particularly bad, all the warnings. Everything disabled. Absolutely ridiculous. A car that disables its safety features whenever there’s a frost seems ludicrous to me.

Went for a long trip yesterday in my trophy long range after clearing the frost which took 10 minutes by remote heating the cabin. All was good for about 10 miles. Then came the first red alert saying the front camera was blocked and then all sorts of warning on features that rely on front camera like front collision avoidance, adaptive cruise control, lane assist etc. i quickly stopped and checked the front camera which was fine and no condensation inside. Just gave a wipe on the outside and started driving again but the alerts were still there. After a while i tried powering off and then back on the engine which cleared all the errors and warnings. I think we will be seeing more of this during cold weather. At least it didn’t stop me from driving but only disabled a handful of automatic features.
we had exactly the same , cleared when frost went

Did several trips in snow & frost over the last few days and had the same issues in same model (MG4 Trophy LR). Just kept going as the car itself is fine, and wasn't wanting to use cruise control, don't mind the other extras not working. Assumed it was the camera blocked as I didn't see what it said when the warning came up (my steering wheel position is such that I can't read warning messages when they flash up - they're a stupid distraction anyway).

I had no issues with the camera etc. last winter, just made sure I cleaned the windscreen well.
The lack of an ICE creating heat meant keeping the windscreen wash from freezing was a challenge.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back