Front Collision Assist Issue

I get what your saying and I've very little knowledge of the variances etc you are talking about but surely it could be better than what it is.
Every cars systems must have to deal with all the issues you mention, in terms of parts etc and only speaking of the system on my car I have zero issues, the Megane forum that I go on has no threads relating to software/infotainment issues.
It's not perfect there are issues with Zappis, but zappi have admitted that it is there issue and have taken Meganes into the factory in Grimsby to work on it.
I can only imagine the big bonus with the Megane Infotainment/software is that's it's Google and has some over the air updates (in relation to certain things) that way there will be more control over it and a pretty knowledgeable company with a sizeable budget controlling it

I get what your saying and I've very little knowledge of the variances etc you are talking about but surely it could be better than what it is.
Every cars systems must have to deal with all the issues you mention, in terms of parts etc and only speaking of the system on my car I have zero issues, the Megane forum that I go on has no threads relating to software/infotainment issues.
It's not perfect there are issues with Zappis, but zappi have admitted that it is there issue and have taken Meganes into the factory in Grimsby to work on it.
I can only imagine the big bonus with the Megane Infotainment/software is that's it's Google and has some over the air updates (in relation to certain things) that way there will be more control over it and a pretty knowledgeable company with a sizeable budget controlling it
Usually car manufacturers will have minimum module version number so that the number of possible permutations of systems out there is limited, but MG appear to only update what is "faulty" opposed to applying all updates available.

Usually car manufacturers will have minimum module version number so that the number of possible permutations of systems out there is limited, but MG appear to only update what is "faulty" opposed to applying all updates available.
Totally agree they need to get a better grip of this. I am hopeful they will, the Chinese have been making some amazing strides with software (from an awfully long way behind).

I noticed that this "feature" seems to happen when there are parked cars and the road bends slightly. Fantastic not! There is one section of road where it happens every time I drive around it. I'm ready on the panel these days. A lovely car spoilt by crappy and dangerous software. Lets hope the programmers of MG4 software never get to work on aircraft safety systems!!!
My Skoda has a similar problem and reliably slams the brakes on when reversing onto my drive. We are on a very steep hill and when swinging round the sensors see the ground and think we are going to hit it. But it also happens from time to time randomly when driving along.

I have had a few episodes of phantom braking and now I am at the stage where I am turning off Front Collision Assistance before I set off.
while I was in the MG pilot section I can see Lane Assistance, which I don’t have an issue with, so I keep it on, but out of curiosity I have scrolled down and I cannot see TJA. Maybe I am missing something here but I thought it should be under MG Pilot.
I took some screen shots of what I have under MG Pilot. Maybe someone can put me right here.

Attachments

• 77BB28C6-60C5-404E-B164-AA5B2E4E9C3E.jpeg
    77BB28C6-60C5-404E-B164-AA5B2E4E9C3E.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 888C0C29-0B8F-4786-B4B8-10C67A0F5F03.jpeg
    888C0C29-0B8F-4786-B4B8-10C67A0F5F03.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 3979772F-C677-4114-B880-334364467800.jpeg
    3979772F-C677-4114-B880-334364467800.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 00BC7D14-4642-4F17-ABF9-44A1DA490758.jpeg
    00BC7D14-4642-4F17-ABF9-44A1DA490758.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I have had a few episodes of phantom braking and now I am at the stage where I am turning off Front Collision Assistance before I set off.
while I was in the MG pilot section I can see Lane Assistance, which I don’t have an issue with, so I keep it on, but out of curiosity I have scrolled down and I cannot see TJA. Maybe I am missing something here but I thought it should be under MG Pilot.
I took some screen shots of what I have under MG Pilot. Maybe someone can put me right here.
I think you need to have the Drive Assist System in Cruise Control Mode then the options for both Traffic Jam Assist and Automatic Cruise Control appear underneath.

What gets me with all this "assist" is that it is supposed to be "assist" not "insist", until this "assist" is reliable it should not be defaulted to "on" but it should remain an option to turn on if we want it. This is a point I made to EuroNCAP when I wrote to then about Lane Keeping Assist because it is the likes of them that are driving the move to automation with the manufacturers. A good "assist" can save a life, a bad one can create an accident. I suggest that anyone with a software issue that is endangering and for which MG does not provide a fix should write to EuroNCAPS and also raise the issue with the DVSA using this form:

www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect

What gets me with all this "assist" is that it is supposed to be "assist" not "insist", until this "assist" is reliable it should not be defaulted to "on" but it should remain an option to turn on if we want it. This is a point I made to EuroNCAP when I wrote to then about Lane Keeping Assist because it is the likes of them that are driving the move to automation with the manufacturers. A good "assist" can save a life, a bad one can create an accident. I suggest that anyone with a software issue that is endangering and for which MG does not provide a fix should write to EuroNCAPS and also raise the issue with the DVSA using this form:

www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect
I agree. The thinking behind defaulting to 'on' is that the car cannot know who will drive it next - it may not be the same person who previously changed settings - and so unless all safety features default to on, then someone could assume they are being protected when they are not and thus cause an accident.

What would be really great is if manufacturers shifted to a scheme whereby the user is selected independently of the car/key and so we can choose all settings from a single button in the car. The MG already has user functionality so it could be extended to do this.

The MG already has user functionality so it could be extended to do this.
Absolutely, this would be the best and easiest fix, should be compliant with NCAP requirements, too. Give us user profiles. Default user - LKA on. Any other - customizable.

Don't know if this is technically possible with the MG4, but in my 2018 BMW i3 user profiles can be assigned to the physical keys of the car. This would be a great solution.

I think I might be at my limit with this car now! Tonight driving with my daughter on a 50mph single carriage way the FCA decided to kick in and slam the brakes on the car to an immediate standstill because someone was exiting their car whilst fully parked on the pavement, not in the road at all. This was so aggressive we were both flung forward in our seats and the seatbelt hurt both our stomachs. Along with the LKA this is also a preset which comes back on over and over again & MG do not seem to be addressing this, I’ve already complained to MG UK and my dealer about the update my car had making LKA a preset which cannot be disabled now there is this one to contend with too. If you forget to turn it off it is then a distracting 4 step procedure to disable it on the move and you cannot disable FCA whilst the car is moving! Having had the issues I’ve had with my Trophy, I am now losing patience rapidly and am pretty fed up of being scared witless by my own car!
I had my 2023 MG4 less than a month (Australia) and the FCA kicked in as I accelerated through an intersection, the guy behind me collided and smashed the back of the car in. Luckily (for me, not him) he was a standup guy and acknowldeged he was travelling too close. Yesterday I picked it up from mechanic and he said as it was being tested on road the same thing happended to him. And to take it to MG for a scan. Talking to others and now seeing this forum, I take a few zen moments to turn everything off and the eco on before I drive away. SOooooo annoying that it needs to be done every time you start.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back