Front number plate

Vipar

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
warning I have had my car for 9 days. And have been driving it around for 4 days with no front number plate it has fallen off. How do I know I looked on my neighbours cctv and it was not there on Tuesday morning. It would have been on camera if it ad been stolen. So It is going to cost me £18 from Halfords to get a new one plus nuts and bolts, it won’t fall off again.

Bloody double sided sticky tape as much use as a handbrake on a rowing boat.

Sorry for the rant, I feel much better now😂

Has anyone bolted their number plates on front or rear?
I have always screwed my number plates in with security screws. You can either pay for it to be done or can do it yourself if you are very careful

Gonna ring them tomorrow. I’m afraid to drill through the black plate thingyimybob how will I get behind it to hold the plastic nuts? And has anybody took the read plate off can you just drill through th plate and use a self tapping screw? I am thinking of using mirror screws I like the idea of the chrome covers

Gonna ring them tomorrow. I’m afraid to drill through the black plate thingyimybob how will I get behind it to hold the plastic nuts? And has anybody took the read plate off can you just drill through th plate and use a self tapping screw? I am thinking of using mirror screws I like the idea of the chrome covers
Big no-no to have 'mirror' screws (I believe, but I can't find that specific info). Black, yellow or white bolts - you can get colour matched caps, and make sure they don't make the characters look different from what they should be. Clearly seen, with no bolts/fixings or dirt obscuring the characters.

Update

Dealer supplied a new front number plate foc and fitted it with white security bolts.
Is Battersea blue the same as St Moritz blue?
They fixed the year from 2019 to 2022 I will report back after trying out tomorrow

All numberplates in Australia are held on by self tappers, sometimes after a long time, they may start to come loose , so just need tightening

Have you ever tried to remove a number plate that is filled correctly with sticky pads they don’t come off easily I can assure you of that
In March this year, I wanted to remove my private plates from our Gen1 ZS EV as we where upgrading to a Gen 2 model.
I had fitted them using two sided number plate tape on both outer edges of the plates, then two more strips towards the centre of the plates, all evenly spaced out.
I had cleaned the back of the plates and the plastic bumper covers with APA ( meth’s will do ).
They where installed on to the car for about 2 years.
I did try firstly removing them by using a plastic trim tool under each edge first, but it soon became clear they where very likely to fracture the plate, if I carried on in this way.
I had to apply a fair amount of heat from a hair dryer, to soften the glue locally in the area of each of the pads, while also keeping a slight pulling pressure on the plate.
When the plate finally released in one place, I wedged a plastic pry tool between the plate and the pad, otherwise it wanted to re-bond itself back to the car body again !.
If you use good quality pads ( like 3m’s ) and ensure that all mating surfaces are clean and grease free, then these pads will really stick strongly to the car alright !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom