Front passenger side roof rattle

GameZone

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Now thst there is snow on the road, I've noticed very intense rattle from the roof passenger side on the front. Anyone gotten rid of this?

I keep thinking the rattle inside mine is in that area, but in vehicle noises can give the appearance of coming from somewhere entirely different. A previous rattle I had convinced me it was on the passenger side, when in reality it was actually the interior light housing. Almost every section of that is plastic touching plastic.

I’d recommend you either press that housing when you hear the rattle, or even drop the housing out and go for a short drive. If that’s where your rattle is, then take it apart and put pieces of thin adhesive felt or similar between all the points where the plastic meets.

I’m going to have a check further inside the headliner on mine when I can be bothered to. I got one of those little inspection cameras, with the rigid, snake like end. It’ll go about a metre inside the headliner, so should hopefully help me to locate any obvious rattle points - cables running close to plastic or metal is my first thought…

I keep thinking the rattle inside mine is in that area, but in vehicle noises can give the appearance of coming from somewhere entirely different. A previous rattle I had convinced me it was on the passenger side, when in reality it was actually the interior light housing. Almost every section of that is plastic touching plastic.

I’d recommend you either press that housing when you hear the rattle, or even drop the housing out and go for a short drive. If that’s where your rattle is, then take it apart and put pieces of thin adhesive felt or similar between all the points where the plastic meets.

I’m going to have a check further inside the headliner on mine when I can be bothered to. I got one of those little inspection cameras, with the rigid, snake like end. It’ll go about a metre inside the headliner, so should hopefully help me to locate any obvious rattle points - cables running close to plastic or metal is my first thought…
It's the plastic thing on the roof where the light or speaker grill is. The rattle stops if I push against the area.

It's the plastic thing on the roof where the light or speaker grill is. The rattle stops if I push against the area.
Yes. I noticed that the noise increases during sunny days, probably due to the expansion of the plastic. I've given up on fixing this problem :censored:

It’s an easy fix. Little pieces of felt between the plastic sorts it
Ok, I did it. I removed the light/button thing by unscrewing two screws in the glasses holder. It's a little hard to remove, you have to be delicate. Nearby are three pieces of soft plastic, quite tall, touching the roof. They are probably not soft enough because they make noise. I put some double-sided felt. Everything ok now

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back