Front seat is splitting!!

bigfishsmallworld

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi
I have a 22 reg. trophy long range and the drivers seat has several small splits that have appeared in recent months. My MG dealership say the seats are only under warranty for 12 months. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Hi
I have a 22 reg. trophy long range and the drivers seat has several small splits that have appeared in recent months. My MG dealership say the seats are only under warranty for 12 months. Has anyone else had similar problems?
Don't take the dealers word for that! I'd check further, they'll try to fob you off!
Seats shouldn't be splitting on such a new car, unless your doing about 30,000 miles a year, and in and out of the car every 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Don't take the dealers word for that! I'd check further, they'll try to fob you off!
Seats shouldn't be splitting on such a new car, unless your doing about 30,000 miles a year, and in and put of the car every 5 minutes.
You can hit them over the head with the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which states that goods should be of a satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. Also, If a defect becomes apparent within 1 year of delivery, you don't have to prove it existed at the time of delivery. It is assumed that it did unless the seller can prove otherwise.

In the recently up-loaded video below, James run's through his observations on how the MG5 work horse ( that has covered 100,000 miles ) has stood the test of time.
He has seat covers fitted due to the nature of his work, as a mobile EV Tech.
But he does remove the cover, to show how the drivers seat has done over this time.
There appears to be no significant damage to the drivers seat swab that I can see.
The MG5 is very popular for taxi work and therefore the seats get a pretty rough time.
We had no issues with the seat in our Gen 1 model, after two years and 20,000 miles.
But I am continuing to monitor the situation in our Gen 2 model.

Seats shouldn't be splitting on such a new car, unless your doing about 30,000 miles a year, and in and out of the car every 5 minutes.
According to this thread, the '7 year warrantly' cherry picks certain elements (much like many other car warranties:

1701553053531.png

According to this thread, the '7 year warrantly' cherry picks certain elements (much like many other car warranties:

View attachment 21963
I would be very interested to know and understand how the electronic hand brake ( parking brake ) can be adjusted TBH ?.

View attachment 21963
This isn't uncommon. This issue was raised when I had my ZS on order back in 2019 when I was also looking at KiA Niro First Edition and Kia is no different it is just each car company jiggles around their priorities on their warranty list.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom