Front side windows, no UV protection

TrevH

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Had my MG PHEV Trophy for three weeks, has anyone else noticed the front side windows that are the only ones not tinted do not have any UV protection? Never had a car that your face gets burnt as you are driving ?? I’ve had to have UV protection fitted now . Does anyone know if this Is correct?

I've posted before (as have others) about the glass on the MG HS PHEV. The level of heat transmission through my front side windows is uncomfortable - even in the UK! I've had clear UV absorbing film (Llumar AU 85, 50 gauge) applied to both front side windows which solved the UV problem but did nothing to reduce the heat transmission. The film reduced the visible light transmission through the windows from 78% to 73% (according to the fitter's photometer measurements) so the windows are still legal in the UK. The spec of the HS front windows is mysterious - they are labelled 'AS2' which is normal but usually comes with a light tint, but these are untinted. That, combined with their large size, means that the heat transmission is high. I'm still looking for a complete solution.

Upvote 0
Yes I am having the same issues and when I contacted a local Tint company and said I had a MG HS he replied "ah they have no heat reflective qualities at all" He is currently looking into possible solutions as like others on here I find it uncomfortable when the sun comes out. Fortunately, I live in the North East of England so the sun doesn't bother us so much here :)
Like John above I am looking to have a film fitted on the side windows that is still legal and reduces the heat transfer I will let you know how I get on when he gets back to me with a potential product.

Paul

Upvote 0
I've posted before (as have others) about the glass on the MG HS PHEV. The level of heat transmission through my front side windows is uncomfortable - even in the UK! I've had clear UV absorbing film (Llumar AU 85, 50 gauge) applied to both front side windows which solved the UV problem but did nothing to reduce the heat transmission. The film reduced the visible light transmission through the windows from 78% to 73% (according to the fitter's photometer measurements) so the windows are still legal in the UK. The spec of the HS front windows is mysterious - they are labelled 'AS2' which is normal but usually comes with a light tint, but these are untinted. That, combined with their large size, means that the heat transmission is high. I'm still looking for a complete solution.
I totally agree, according to the tint technician I used MG have used cheap glass ! Not totally surprised!

Yes I am having the same issues and when I contacted a local Tint company and said I had a MG HS he replied "ah they have no heat reflective qualities at all" He is currently looking into possible solutions as like others on here I find it uncomfortable when the sun comes out. Fortunately, I live in the North East of England so the sun doesn't bother us so much here :)
Like John above I am looking to have a film fitted on the side windows that is still legal and reduces the heat transfer I will let you know how I get on when he gets back to me with a potential product.

Paul
Hi Paul please let us know if you find a legal solution to this , many thanks

The heading mentions 'UV protection'. Strictly speaking if you want protection from heat you need infrared protection.
Is there an infra red protective film that is legal in the UK ? If so where can I find it please.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That looks very promising..thank you Grriff! Not specifically an automotive product but can't see any reason why it wouldn't be effective. Spec is here: https://opaluxwindowfilms.com/sites/default/files/datasheets/SO-70IR-iSR.pdf
Visible light transmission 67% so borderline legal in UK but hopefully would be undetectable.
It all depends on the film being shrinkable. Normal window film is designed for flat glass the glass in cars is curved so the film will wrinkle if not shrinkable. This is what I was told by the tint firm so don't shoot the messenger.

Upvote 0
Tint company has got back to me to say the film is out of stock and could take up to a month to get a batch in. I suppose if you don't drive an MG then you don't need it

Upvote 0
Had my MG PHEV Trophy for three weeks, has anyone else noticed the front side windows that are the only ones not tinted do not have any UV protection? Never had a car that your face gets burnt as you are driving ?? I’ve had to have UV protection fitted now . Does anyone know if this Is correct?
I never noticed, but I suppose I will from now on. Just use the air-con to keep cool.

Upvote 0
I apply sun cream to my face and arms and I'm driving mg5 long range 72 plate. I was driving a Prius which had UV windows in front so bit surprised this is not mandatory for all cars where skin cancer etc can be triggered.

Upvote 0
It all depends on the film being shrinkable. Normal window film is designed for flat glass the glass in cars is curved so the film will wrinkle if not shrinkable. This is what I was told by the tint firm so don't shoot the messenger.
Hi all, I contacted the company who put me on to my nearest installer in Norwich.
Just had the. Ceramic film fitted on front side windows and screen all 70 grade and legal cost me £240 total but what a difference, sun monitor dropped from 154 outside to 37 inside!

Paul
Opalux ceramic window film 70 contact the company in the UK and they can put you on to a local installer. Just had front side windows and screen. cost me £240 works fine and it’s legal!

Upvote 0
Hi all, I contacted the company who put me on to my nearest installer in Norwich.
Just had the. Ceramic film fitted on front side windows and screen all 70 grade and legal cost me £240 total but what a difference, sun monitor dropped from 154 outside to 37 inside!

Opalux ceramic window film 70 contact the company in the UK and they can put you on to a local installer. Just had front side windows and screen. cost me £240 works fine and it’s legal!
That is great news! Just to be clear (!), which was the specific film you had fitted? I assume either the Opalux SO-70IR-iSR or the Opalux SO070XLIR0iSR ? Just so I specify the right one. The latter seems to have superior visible light transmission while still rejecting infra-red and UV, while keeping us all legal in the UK!

Upvote 0
Hi this is the sample that Opalux sent me and recommended the installer nearest to me who stocks it and fits to cars they were very helpful Opalux window film 0845 0261125

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpeg
    IMG_0790.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 0
I have now had the side windows fitted with a virtually clear film that apparently reflects 44% of the heat. Sadly it has rained every day since so am unable to comment on the effectiveness of this product, once the sun returns (I am in the UK so maybe a long wait) I will report back. The film used is SunTek Carbon XP-70

Upvote 0
At last, I seem to have solved the UV and heat (IR, infra-red) transmission problem through my front side windows by having clear nano-ceramic film applied - Llumar Air 80. The previous film which blocked UV but not enough infra-red (Llumar Au85) had to be removed, all work done well by Window Film Centre in Ipswich, total cost £160.

Upvote 0
I have Llumar Air 80 on my front side windows for a couple of years now. They are supposed to be clear film but still have a tinge of tint to them. The issue now is the front windscreen in the summer.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom