Frustration with sat nav and ex-toll bridges

Simon S

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have had some problems this Summer holiday trip in my Mark 1 MG ZS ev. On the way to Pembrokeshire the car's sat nav did not like my chosen route of crossing the River Seven M4 bridge, that no longer has a toll (since before the car was built!). Not too much of a problem as I knew where I was going and I just ignored the instructions to turn around and go miles out of my way. Later however it did take me well out of my way to avoid the Cleddau Bridge (A477 near Pembroke Dock) that is also an ex-toll bridge - very annoying. I tried to look for an 'avoid tolls' setting to turn off, but couldn't find one.
Anyone else had this problem? What is causing this, presumably it doesn't avoid all bridges! Does anyone know how to change the settings, and is this permanent, or another setting that has to be done each time I start the car? Is there a way of updating the maps that the sat nav uses? (I can not get on with Android auto.)

Unless in-car SatNavs are updated regularly then they are useless IMO, that's why I never use it. Also you miss out on live traffic updates that can save you from sitting in a traffic jam for hours.
There are so many good free satnav apps out there.

Unless in-car SatNavs are updated regularly then they are useless IMO, that's why I never use it. Also you miss out on live traffic updates that can save you from sitting in a traffic jam for hours.
There are so many good free satnav apps out there.

You're right although I dont find waze as good as it used to be . Maybe that's because far more people are using it , and therefore all the available alternative routes get clogged up as well at least where I live in Essex using the A 13 for my daily commute into East London.
Any other alternatives gratefully received!!

There is a setting for route preferences where you can select or deselect tolls etc.
All the settings are set to allow initially.
You can update the Nav on naviextras.com, although the latest free update is not that recent.

Belated thanks Gomev, Nick and Kithmo for your helpful replies. I had found how to turn off the 'avoiding tolls' option when I realised that this is what had caused the problem and I took the time to look for it. I have got onto the Naviextras.com site but haven't got any further with that one, but am amazed to find Nav updates are available outside MG dealerships.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom