Full charge range

Hi,
Have now done 300 odd miles in my EV.
After two overnight charges from my 7Kw home charge point the maximum range indicated is at best 136 miles before the car has turned a wheel.
Thought the range should be 155-160ish.
Thanks
It all depends on the weather situation on your drive, and how your drive the car.
136 miles sounds very plausible under "normal" circumstances.
You can end up driving longer if drive carefully and have no wind or even better tailwind ;-) but you can also end up with a shorter range if everything is against you ;-).
So get acquainted with your car. Check once in a while how far you have driven and compare with what you started out with in the beginning.
The car is guessing how far you might drive, it's based on how you have driven it beforehand.

Only time the GOM is important is when you won't be able to top-up at home so don't spend time worrying over different readings each time you fully charge. As the car gets older and your range is consistently dropping then maybe that is a time to be concerned over battery degradation and a trip to the dealer for investigation. But if it yo-yos around an average don't worry.

I find when checking the GOM it's best to have mode set as Eco and the HVAC switched off. This gives the maximum range (I think) and you can amend as necessary.
I think you're right as I've found recently switching off aircon and flicking to Eco adds around 30+ miles to the range. Whatever you have set it is most important to always have the same setting when comparing otherwise you have too many variables and get nonsense figures.

I find when checking the GOM it's best to have mode set as Eco and the HVAC switched off. This gives the maximum range (I think) and you can amend as necessary.
Most of my journeys are local so it doesn't matter to me what the actual figures are, I just top it up when it gets down to 30-40 miles left.
But if I were going on a longer trip I would do the opposite to what you're saying, set it to sport with HVAC on full heat and plan off that figure for the minimum range.

I think it would interesting to see if everyone posts their miles/ kw from the speedometer from different parts of country with the temp differences.
I am in central scotland , temp around 2 to 4 degree C, range has dropped considerably.

last journey of 80 miles showed 2.5 miles per KW , what I would call , realworld driving habbits , ie. simillar to if I was driving petrol car with heating etc.
( Car needed charging twice , before setting off and midway).
I will post the picture from speedometer screen.

average efficiency has been 3.5 miles/ kwh

edit:
temp 2 degrees, uphill drive stirling to perth, Ecomode, ACC set at 70 miles (so , no regen) on outbound and Regen 3 on return journey, HVAC full, fan 3 blobs, seat heater on and off, 2.5 miles/ KW

Last edited:
Just been to Edinburgh and back home. A round trip of 106 miles arriving back with 19 miles on the GOM.

Atrocious weather (cold, heavy rain) on the outward leg, Cold but no rain on the way back. Eco mode, regen 3 and HVAC on 2 blobs, fan 1 blob. Car shows 3.0 miles/KWh consumption.

Happy enough with that

Just been to Edinburgh and back home. A (y)round trip of 106 miles arriving back with 19 miles on the GOM.

Atrocious weather (cold, heavy rain) on the outward leg, Cold but no rain on the way back. Eco mode, regen 3 and HVAC on 2 blobs, fan 1 blob. Car shows 3.0 miles/KWh consumption.

Happy enough with that
that's a nifty format put the data out, weather, mode, regen, heating , fan , seat heater, consumption (y)

Only had the car just over a month and not done a longer journey yet where I have had to charge away from home.
I have very much been treating it like I have every other car (all non-EV) I have owned. Around town, short journeys etc. drive how I want and don't really look at the consumption. The only time I became interested in previous cars was on the longer journeys trying to make 50mpg+ but that was purely for the fun I didn't mind if I only got 48.

I suppose I ought to take an interest but to be honest I just like the way it drives and to hell with the consumption - so long as I don't run out of electrons. :) but no doubt will become obsessed later when undertaking the longer journeys.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom