GENERATOR

johnnyallan

Established Member
Reaction score
Generator

has anyone used a generator to charge their car, if so, how long did it take and what milage did you gain, there are many videos on UTUBE of people using them, thanks

I think you find it’s the amps it will put out, the granny charger draws 10 amps at 2.2 KW out put to the car and as the battery come near to full the granny charge will drop the out put down just like your wall charger or the fast charger.
I just look them up on the net and you can get portable one with 4kw out put and 10 amps max So yes in you could, to how long it would take ?
if you where thinking of a 7kw wall charger which is 32 amps that would be a fix one that would take over your home power needs in a power cut. When I worked in the NHS years ago when they where doing a generation test we had think about what we plugged in and was it needed as there was only so much it could coupe with.

If it is a standard mains voltage generator that has adequate capacity, then it will take the same time to charge through your granny charger as it would plugged in at home. If the generator is not powerful enough it will trip off as it would with any other overload.

It seems most EV drives think you are able to charge from the electric grid all the time, but there might be the odd occasion it’s not possible or convenient, so some people take off the blinkers and open there mind to a alternative away of charging, not the best away I do agree, always best to charge from the grid.

Last edited:
Thankyou for all your helpful replies. I am changing the car 8n the next couple of weeks, I have had enough both chargers in the village are not working, the other day I travelled 20 miles to Coningsby to find their chargers were also not working plus where I live you are not allowed cables across the grass, it's a sad day for me as I loved my mg, gone back to hybrid

If only we could tow a trailer

Generator-Hire-GS-60-RT-2-294x294.jpg

Thankyou for all your helpful replies. I am changing the car 8n the next couple of weeks, I have had enough both chargers in the village are not working, the other day I travelled 20 miles to Coningsby to find their chargers were also not working plus where I live you are not allowed cables across the grass, it's a sad day for me as I loved my mg, gone back to hybrid
Are there chargers actually in Sutton-on Sea now, I've used the BP 7kW ones in Mablethorpe and the rapid at Alford Co-op, didn't see any in Sutton.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom