• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Getting slightly concerned…….

What you have to remember is that all forums contain 90% posts about the cars that have problems. There are probably twice as many owners that do not go on forums. So you don’t get forums just full of praise.
Pop on the net and have a look at other manufacturers all the same no matter what the make is. We are just unfortunate to have ordered cars at the wrong time. Nobody’s fault. I can wire a three pin plug that’s about my limit.
Buy and enjoy remember the world will be 75% EV’s by 2035 👍🏼👍🏼😁
Not sure about "the world". Think ICE will have its place for many years in certain parts of the world.

This whole phenomena is not new. I did a little digging around another forum I work on and came up with this post made back in 2013. The message is very similar in that there were lots of posts about problems and things breaking but very few saying it all went OK so I did this one to balance things up a little.

retrospective.JPG

I understand your pain. There are some IFs that could make things safe and easy for you. IF you have a home charger fitted when you buy the EV (most people do depending on their house situation) you will do most of your charging at home, using the Trophy's on board charging management for cheaper off peak electricity. IF your daily commute or avg daily drive (for us retired people) is modest then you'll never be far from home and g'teed easy charging. BUT IF you want to travel long distance - say 150 miles each way, then you will need to plan where you're going to charge. There are more and more fast chargers for public use and by fast I mean 50-150KwH, so really quick. As a second string you could charge at your desitination off an ordinary 13A domestic 3-pin socket though it will take some hours. More and more hotels are installing chargers, too and some local authorities. The new MG EV Trophy will display nearby chargers on the satnav, though 'people say' that the ZapMap software app (you have to pay) is better. On the matter of 'breakdown' i.e. running out of charge, my insurance with =LV (they insist on the = sign) covers, to my astonishment, towing if the battery runs out. You raise 'battery health'; for general driving about you need only charge to 80% and the on board s/w will do that; but for long range you can opt for 100%. I would be interested to know what you decide, Susanna. Though if you do cancel, the dealer will sell your car in seconds.
Just an update Susanna: I did my first long range drive this week. I charged at home overnight/cheap rate and saw the most amazing info on the dash:
1651320419759.png

Yes almost 300 miles. And why/how? Well the day before I'd done a 70m journey on country roads 30-50 mph and the car uses the miles per KwH (about 4.3 on that day) to calculate the future range - also on country/slow roads. I recharged in Lymington, Hants at a BP Pulse high speed charger, on the app, pre-paid credit and loaded 30KwH in about 40 minutes, easy. Now, homeward bound but motorways this time, 60-65mph. All good, home with lots to spare but now 3.7miles/KwH because I was going faster. And so it goes, and goes well. I wish you the best with your Trophy!

To be fair, I have read many views on this forum, just as many pointing out the faults they have encountered as posts extolling the virtues. I hope the current problem regarding the use of rapid chargers will be solved in the not too distant future, as I can fully appreciate the frustration this major issue is causing.
Thank you to everyone for your valuable contributions. They have set my mind at rest, and I am once again looking forward to getting my MG ZS. Eventually.
Good for you
My son traded his BMW 1 series in last week for a ”20” plate MG ZS EV Exclusive and he loves it
So wait for you delivery date and enjoy it
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

@John Sauve Rodd

That‘s really interesting and reassuring. I don’t do a lot of mileage, mainly short journeys, and avoid motorways if I can, especially the (so called) ‘smart’ ones. I ordered the SR Trophy, which I believe will be fine for my needs.

Thank you for taking the trouble to tell me of your experience.

I have certainly read numerous tips and interesting information about the new ZS EV, so a big thank you to everyone who contributes to this excellent forum.
However, I am getting increasingly concerned that my lack of knowledge and understanding about the technicalities of HV batteries is going to result in me cancelling my order, as everything now seems so complex. Was I completely naive to assume I was just buying a car to get me from A to B in an environmentally friendly way, and that if I had any issues, I would just call out the breakdown service?
I did lots of research on various EV’s before deciding on the MG, but nowhere did I read that you required any special skills in determining battery health, charging rates etc.
I have no knowledge about what goes on under the bonnet of any ICE car either to be honest, but it’s never been an issue.
i know what your saying with balancing and voltage and such but basically charge it up drive it and the rest you will learn from people on this forum i was the same, got lost in the jargon but soon people explained things the forum is a great source of knowledge for people like me and you

What about driving it on the motorway on 70mph?

As much as I appreciate people want to get the best range out of their car I would just like to know real life range on a motorway same as how you would normally drive.

I have certainly read numerous tips and interesting information about the new ZS EV, so a big thank you to everyone who contributes to this excellent forum.
However, I am getting increasingly concerned that my lack of knowledge and understanding about the technicalities of HV batteries is going to result in me cancelling my order, as everything now seems so complex. Was I completely naive to assume I was just buying a car to get me from A to B in an environmentally friendly way, and that if I had any issues, I would just call out the breakdown service?
I did lots of research on various EV’s before deciding on the MG, but nowhere did I read that you required any special skills in determining battery health, charging rates etc.
I have no knowledge about what goes on under the bonnet of any ICE car either to be honest, but it’s never been an issue.
Hey Susanna :)

I don't know if you recall, but I'd love to know how you feel about owning your ZS now vs when you started this thread: How has the experience been for you so far, and do any of the concerns you had initially still remain? Has it been worse or better than expected? Did you run into any issues?

I think it's interesting for other's that are in the same position you were when considering the move to EV. Thanks

Hey Susanna :)

I don't know if you recall, but I'd love to know how you feel about owning your ZS now vs when you started this thread: How has the experience been for you so far, and do any of the concerns you had initially still remain? Has it been worse or better than expected? Did you run into any issues?

I think it's interesting for other's that are in the same position you were when considering the move to EV. Thanks
Great question @Nutnut .
No pressure then @Susanna 🤣.

@Nutnut
How lovely that you remembered!

I have to say that any concerns and misgivings I had were very quickly dispelled - the car is lovely to drive, comfortable, very suitable for my needs, and has been much admired by friends and family.

It’s the first time I have had an SUV, and my first EV. The car has more ‘toys’ than my previous car, and it definitely took time to get to grips with some aspects. I have had quite a few cars with CC (which I used extensively) but ACC is new to me and is, perhaps, the only thing I haven’t yet tried on the MG. I’m not sure why I have been reluctant; but maybe because there’s no real advantage to it now? On previous (ICE) cars, use of CC definitely gave better mileage, but on the MG, without regen, why bother? I seldom use motorways which is probably the only time ACC would be appropriate.

There are a few niggles truthfully - sometimes the infotainment likes to be coerced into action, and other times it immediately plays whatever radio station/music I listened to on my previous journey. I hope that’s all I ever have cause to complain about!

It’s a fair bit bigger than my previous car, a Peugeot 208, but if I position it perfectly, I can reverse into my garage without needing to retract the mirrors. I wouldn’t have bought a car that couldn’t fit. Charging has been faultless, I love being able to pre-heat the car via the app, heated seats were an absolute must - I have had those since our 1973 Volvo 145, and the piece de resistance……..my travel cups fit in the cupholders! This woman must have her coffee on tap, and I have had cars which are woefully lacking in this respect.

Sorry - that was quite an essay!

Just edited to add that today on my way back from a lovely walk, I put my foot down and beat a ‘boy racer type’ away from the lights. Very childish I know, but sometimes you just must 😄

Last edited:
A question I like to ask is, having driven an EV, would you ever go back to a fossil car? I know I wouldn't.

Glad you settled in quickly and are enjoying the car. Happy motoring. :)

Just edited to add that today on my way back from a lovely walk, I put my foot down and beat a ‘boy racer type’ away from the lights. Very childish I know, but sometimes you just must 😄
I know I must really must grow up and stop being so immature and childish, but I was sat at the lights in pole position on Sunday and a Golf GTI pulled up next to me in the second lane, (one of these junctions that have two lanes but at the other side of the junction it goes down almost immediately to a single lane) he had the noisy exhausts (Cherry bombs?) and the loud music going, the wife who knows how childish I am got hold of the grab handle...... you can guess the rest, the amusing things was the car behind me was a Kia EV he/she also beat him across the lights.

Nearly 18,000kms on mine, we only use it as a daily commuter. Awesome car, no complaints.

Drive it and love it. Accept it for what it is.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom