Getting worried by stains on the drive

paulus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I've started to notice stains on the drive where the car stands. Not sure what it is, but located in a few places. The car is not telling me anything - but should I be worried? Any ideas?

I've started to notice stains on the drive where the car stands. Not sure what it is, but located in a few places. The car is not telling me anything - but should I be worried? Any ideas?
Any photos, could be a reoccurrence of the breather leaking again from the my22 models

My trophy is a MY22 - first registered in June 2023.Photo attached.
IMG_20240311_141537.jpg

I do normally reverse onto the drive, but further back, so I would estimate these to be in the middle of the car. If it is the breather leaking, is it dangerous? anything I should be topping up?

I have over 600 miles to do in the next 7 days, and probably no chance of getting the dealer to book it in.

I do normally reverse onto the drive, but further back, so I would estimate these to be in the middle of the car. If it is the breather leaking, is it dangerous? anything I should be topping up?

I have over 600 miles to do in the next 7 days, and probably no chance of getting the dealer to book it in.

Have a quick look at your coolant levels.

At least you can rule that out.

Not sure it would stain your drive though and should? eventually evaporate I would have thought.

Have a look at the gearbox thread, might have the answer in there somewhere.

It's not been an issue for me so can't really comment.

(Although I seem to have still managed to comment 🤣)

Look underneath the car from the rear ... if it's the oil leak you'll see streaks across the rear undertray from front to back. (Oil tends to leak from the breather, accumulate on the tray and then drip from the front of the tray, hence why it seems to come from the "middle" of the car). You could also wipe your fingers on the undertray ... if it's gear oil you should be able to feel - and smell - it quite obviously.

As mentioned above, gear oil has a very distinctive smell so you should be able to determine whether that's what it is.
Not all. What you smell is the sulfur which is used as an extreme pressure (EP) additive, mainly used to get an API GL-4 or GL-5 rating in differentials with high hypoid offset. Can't see any GL rating on the Shell MG4 oil. It can be it is not needed in the MG4, then the smell is way different.

The oil in the MG4 diff is very obviously gear oil ... if you've smelled gear oil before then the MG4 oil smell is very familiar. :)

The oil in the MG4 diff is very obviously gear oil ... if you've smelled gear oil before then the MG4 oil smell is very familiar. :)
Then it is probably confirmed it is a gear oil that does contain the sulfur as an EP agent. Never analyzed or smelled the MG4 oil myself.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back