Givenergy chargers any good?

gdog

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi proud new MG4 owner now. Absolutely delighted. Now it's time for a charger. I have givenergy solar system so thinking of going with their charger.
Anyone have this working with their mg4?
Any issue?
Any pointers I should know?
Is there anyone delighted with this charger?
TBH I'd be happy with any comments about this lolol

Thanks in anticipation 🤠

Welcome to the forum! I'm getting a solar system in a couple of weeks which includes Givenergy components but my installer quoted for a Zappi and since a lot of people seem to be getting on with these successfully I just went with it.

Welcome to the forum! I'm getting a solar system in a couple of weeks which includes Givenergy components but my installer quoted for a Zappi and since a lot of people seem to be getting on with these successfully I just went with it.
The GE system is top notch. I have mine including a 9.5 battery for 18 months. Hasn't skipped a beat. So I'd prefer to just go with their charger in hope it's as good and works well with the rest of the system. Good luck with your installation

Hi proud new MG4 owner now. Absolutely delighted. Now it's time for a charger. I have givenergy solar system so thinking of going with their charger.
Any issue?

Thanks in anticipation 🤠
Hello!

I got my first EV and first charger a few months ago.

Waited for Givenergy to bring one out so it would match the solar/battery and I could use one app to rule them all!

Really impressed with the features of the givenergy charger - you can adjust the charging rate manually as well doing things like solar divert. Haven't really used solar divert because we are on Intelligent Flux and so there is no financial difference between exporting solar vs. using it ourselves. The entire grid is our battery.

Downsides
The main concern is that it is not yet integrated with Octopus Intelligent Go. However, they have worked together before and I wouldn't want that tariff until the Autumn so I'm just crossing fingers it will be sorted in time. Otherwise it will be standard Go for this winter, which isn't as good as intelligent but still better than most tariffs.

The other downside I've noticed is that sometimes you can't tell if it has heeded your command! Similarly, sometimes it says the car isn't plugged in even though I just did it. I think it can just take a moment to update sometimes.

Another potential downside is that there are only so many approved installers, so you'd need to find someone reasonable near you. I found a guy from a few miles away from us who was really good.

Another concern (that also didn't stop me getting it) is that it says it shouldn't be in direct sunlight, but ours will be on a South facing wall! I'll have to see if I need to put an umbrella or something shading in front of it if and when we have a heatwave.

Overall
I'd say it is a big thumbs up if you've already got Givenergy. Very smart charger and you can just use the single app for everything.

Hello!

I got my first EV and first charger a few months ago.

Waited for Givenergy to bring one out so it would match the solar/battery and I could use one app to rule them all!

Really impressed with the features of the givenergy charger - you can adjust the charging rate manually as well doing things like solar divert. Haven't really used solar divert because we are on Intelligent Flux and so there is no financial difference between exporting solar vs. using it ourselves. The entire grid is our battery.
That's encouraging. Didn't know about the direct sun issue. Mine would be south facing too hmmnn.
Do you have the em115 meter fitted for fast response or just work off cloud?
Does it get info from mg4 like SOC n such?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's encouraging. Didn't know about the direct sun issue. Mine would be south facing too hmmnn.
My advice would be to use a Zappi instead, it will work fine with your solar and integrates readily with Intelligent Octopus GO. Zappi uses it's own CT to assess whats going on with regard to import / export and it will unlike many others, work without connection to the cloud.
The MG4 wont give up information to chargers because SAIC wont release API information, there are some independents that have cracked the code and can suck the data from your car into the likes of Home Assistant etc.

I had a 6.7kW solar panel install (with 18.8kW battery) end of Jan 24 with a Zappi charger.

This all works great and you can extract the data from the Zappi if you like keeping data (which I do). I also extract the data from my Luxpower Inverter as well and combine all the data to display on my home website which make monitoring quite easy.

Zappi works great. I have a simple schedule set up of charging 2am to 5am as I am on Octoplus Flux with the eco+ setting, this means that if the car is plugged in to the zappi then between 2am and 5am the zappi charges the car from the grid at Octoplus Flux cheap rate (approx 13p/kWh) and then I have the 100% renewable mix setup so that only surplus solar energy during the day will charge the car (if plugged in) else the surplus is exported to the grid.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds similar to my setup, Rolfe. I have a 6.37kW solar array split into two strings hooked up to a GivEnergy 3.6kW inverter and 9.5kWh storage battery. Charging the car is done through a Zappi, which when it’s sunny I put into eco+ mode. It typically charges around 3kW, using solar or a mixture of solar and battery. If I wish to keep the stored energy in the battery, I go into the GivEnergy app battery options and reduce the discharge power, otherwise the car would drain it completely in a short time.

When there’s little or no solar (think December/January) I can charge the car in fast mode on the Zappi at a rate of around 7.2kW. Although this will use the grid to draw electricity from, you can supplement it with any excess solar or battery power you may have. Unless I’m in a hurry, I have found that from March to October I can charge the car slowly on solar, either topping up in the early evening after work or all day at the weekend.

My advice would be to use a Zappi instead, it will work fine with your solar and integrates readily with Intelligent Octopus GO. Zappi uses it's own CT to assess whats going on with regard to import / export and it will unlike many others, work without connection to the cloud.
The MG4 wont give up information to chargers because SAIC wont release API information, there are some independents that have cracked the code and can suck the data from your car into the likes of Home Assistant etc.
Yes the Zappi good and appreciate why it's popular. But I can't get octopus tariff, it's over £200 more expensive and I like idea of the one Givenergy system and one app to control it.

Shame MG won't communicate with chargers. Not to worry tho.

That sounds similar to my setup, Rolfe. I have a 6.37kW solar array split into two strings hooked up to a GivEnergy 3.6kW inverter and 9.5kWh storage battery. Charging the car is done through a Zappi, which when it’s sunny I put into eco+ mode. It typically charges around 3kW, using solar or a mixture of solar and battery. If I wish to keep the stored energy in the battery, I go into the GivEnergy app battery options and reduce the discharge power, otherwise the car would drain it completely in a short time.

When there’s little or no solar (think December/January) I can charge the car in fast mode on the Zappi at a rate of around 7.2kW. Although this will use the grid to draw electricity from, you can supplement it with any excess solar or battery power you may have. Unless I’m in a hurry, I have found that from March to October I can charge the car slowly on solar, either topping up in the early evening after work or all day at the weekend.
I'm hoping with the givenergy charger to have better control of home battery to avoid car emptying it and without my having to manually intervene too often. For 3-4 months in winter probably just night charge only. Fingers crossed.

I had a 6.7kW solar panel install (with 18.8kW battery) end of Jan 24 with a Zappi charger.

This all works great and you can extract the data from the Zappi if you like keeping data (which I do). I also extract the data from my Luxpower Inverter as well and combine all the data to display on my home website which make monitoring quite easy.

Zappi works great. I have a simple schedule set up of charging 2am to 5am as I am on Octoplus Flux with the eco+ setting, this means that if the car is plugged in to the zappi then between 2am and 5am the zappi charges the car from the grid at Octoplus Flux cheap rate (approx 13p/kW) and then I have the 100% renewable mix setup so that only surplus solar energy during the day will charge the car (if plugged in) else the surplus is exported to the grid.
Have to admit I'm also a bit of a sucker for data and playing around with it lolol. I'm going to try and resist this urge with the car though. I'll probably give in at some point tho lol

Any issue?

Thanks in anticipation 🤠
Zappi. I have other GE kit, but use and recommend Zappi. Have had for +1 year and now on IOG. It monitors all the GE kit and how the power is being used and distributed.
Has never failed or done anything wrong. Nigh on perfect... Has vast range of options/configs for you to use or ignore.
There's a reason why you see so many recommendations for it.

It sounds like you can't go wrong with either zappi or the Giv charger.

Zappi has more history and is already integrated with Octopus. It works with givenergy equipment, as long as it is set up properly.

So maybe base it on which you like the look of, and/or which is cheaper to install?

Electricians definitely put in some Comms cables as part of the install, but they put in the backup system at the same time so I'm not sure which comms went where.

However, you've reminded me that one of the clamps couldn't fit inside our consumer unit because the cables were too tight, so I've got it in a box doing nothing. Which might explain the delayed response time I sometimes get.

Can I subscribe to your newsletter? That sounds pretty much the same as the system I'm getting. (Mind you my next door neighbours have the same system, and that is not a coincidence - I just asked them who their supplier was and if they were happy with the product and service, then went to him and said, do me too please.)

Interesting how much solar you're getting in winter. You're even further north than I am.

It sounds like you can't go wrong with either zappi or the Giv charger.

Zappi has more history and is already integrated with Octopus. It works with givenergy equipment, as long as it is set up properly.

So maybe base it on which you like the look of, and/or which is cheaper to install?

Electricians definitely put in some Comms cables as part of the install, but they put in the backup system at the same time so I'm not sure which comms went where.

However, you've reminded me that one of the clamps couldn't fit inside our consumer unit because the cables were too tight, so I've got it in a box doing nothing. Which might explain the delayed response time I sometimes get.
Glad I could be of service 😁

Can I subscribe to your newsletter? That sounds pretty much the same as the system I'm getting. (Mind you my next door neighbours have the same system, and that is not a coincidence - I just asked them who their supplier was and if they were happy with the product and service, then went to him and said, do me too please.)

Interesting how much solar you're getting in winter. You're even further north than I am.
Unfortunately, I don’t have a newsletter Rolfe, but I can recommend some YouTube channels:
Daniel Coe
EV Puzzle
Gary Does Solar
Tim & Kat’s Green Walk
DanEVSolar

I think it helps that I’m in the north east of Fife, not far from Dundee which apparently is the sunniest place in Scotland. Not sure if that’s saying much though. 😅

The sunniest city in Scotland is looking to turn sunshine into community benefit - James Hutton Institute

I'm in the foothills of the Pentlands. But my roof is unshaded and faces mostly south.

I plan to wait till the system is installed and then start getting to grips. Or rather wait till the system is installed then go on a week's road trip to Sussex and Yorkshire (including the Everything Electric Show) and then get to grips.

I'm in the foothills of the Pentlands. But my roof is unshaded and faces mostly south.

I plan to wait till the system is installed and then start getting to grips. Or rather wait till the system is installed then go on a week's road trip to Sussex and Yorkshire (including the Everything Electric Show) and then get to grips.
You should get some decent solar production from that aspect.
Sounds like a fun trip!

Took us a while (maybe a couple of months) to get the export set up with Octopus, so we were giving away free energy to our neighbours for a while!

Bigger incentive to use your own energy initially!

I just counted the export as carbon offsets anyway so it was saving money that way.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back