GOM gone through the roof

sideways

Standard Member
Reaction score
About 4 weeks ago I had a service and software update, now the gom reads 210 on a full charge, and dare I say it without haters pilling in it seems to be doing that mileage! Its that range with nothing on and in eco. But I think its down to taking into account my long range average, when it didn't before?

About 4 weeks ago I had a service and software update, now the gom reads 210 on a full charge, and dare I say it without haters pilling in it seems to be doing that mileage! Its that range with nothing on and in eco. But I think its down to taking into account my long range average, when it didn't before?
If you have received the latest Jan15th BMS update recently, then now after driving for 4 weeks.
Reset BOTH of your trip recorders.
It will then provide you with a closer predicted range mileage.
The accumulative trip recorder continues to build and build and will inflate the predicted range of the car.
After the BMS update, it will reset a base line of around 163 miles of range, in normal mode with all accessory items turned off !.
You should also be seeing around 448 - 450 volts on the HV pack when fully charged and balanced.
The reported range may be slightly less given the age of the car and mileage covered etc.
This has been extensively covered on the BMS thread on the forum.

Only 210, I'm at 238

And..........back in the room fellas. :LOL:

Kevin Zegers Abc GIF by The Paley Center for Media

If you have received the latest Jan15th BMS update recently, then now after driving for 4 weeks.
Reset BOTH of your trip recorders.
It will then provide you with a closer predicted range mileage.
The accumulative trip recorder continues to build and build and will inflate the predicted range of the car.
After the BMS update, it will reset a base line of around 163 miles of range, in normal mode with all accessory items turned off !.
You should also be seeing around 448 - 450 volts on the HV pack when fully charged and balanced.
The reported range may be slightly less given the age of the car and mileage covered etc.
This has been extensively covered on the BMS thread on the forum.
I have reset the trip, and disconnected the 12v battery, and it comes back high I think because my average miles per kilowatt hour are good, also it seems real!!!!!

I have reset the trip, and disconnected the 12v battery, and it comes back high I think because my average miles per kilowatt hour are good, also it seems real!!!!!
I did a journey the other week.
gom=195miles
distance 89.7 miles
finnish 114 miles on gom
in eco, some motorway some A road did 65 mph at times

I did a journey the other week.
gom=195miles
distance 89.7 miles
finnish 114 miles on gom
in eco, some motorway some A road did 65 mph at times
When you reached your destination, did you reset BOTH trips ?.
Are 100% certain you are running on the latest BMS update ?.
What is your HV battery voltage and predicted range free a full charge and balance, with no items running in the back ground ?.

No, did not reset. Went in for service and update 4 weeks ago.
Voltage is 448, used to be 454.
Okay, thanks.
448 Volts on the pack after a full charge and balance, would suggest you are running on the latest BMS.
The figure of 454 volts prior is a low for the previous factory software.
Just try this next time BEFORE you charge to 100% and are completing a balance cycle.
Reset BOTH trips back to zero and make sure you have everything turned off in the car.
After charging is complete, when booting up the car, keep your foot completely OFF the footbrake.
You will need to press the START button once, wait a few seconds, then press it again.
It is normal to get the HV battery disconnect warning on the dash.
Now, scroll through the menus, until your get to the HV battery screen.
Right, what is the voltage on the pack ( I am guessing 448 volts ) right ?.
Now, what is the predicted range reported on the SAME screen.
Ideally it would be 163 miles ( or very close to this figure ).
It could be less depending on the SOH / imbalance of the cells.
Incidentally, can I ask how old is the car and how many miles have you covered ?.
Also, are you a rapid charger user, if so - how often ?.
Do you charge from a wall box or "Granny" cable ?.
Thanks.

I will try it, seems long winded and I like having 210 on the GOM🤣
Ok, the car was picked up 2 years and one month ago and has done 9800 miles.
Only fast charged twice about 45 kw and charged on granny charger all other times apart from Aldi charger 3 kw?
MG EV facebook forum got rather gobby when I gave them facts.
Also see pic

Attachments

• 20210925_153851.jpg
    20210925_153851.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 132
I will try it, seems long winded and I like having 210 on the GOM🤣
Ok, the car was picked up 2 years and one month ago and has done 9800 miles.
Only fast charged twice about 45 kw and charged on granny charger all other times apart from Aldi charger 3 kw?
MG EV facebook forum got rather gobby when I gave them facts.
Also see pic
Thank you for uploading your picture of your current settings.
Sorry, it does sound a little "Long Winded" and yes I guess it is, to be fair !.
I totally get your point @sideways and yeah it's great to see the predicted range displaying a healthy range of 210 miles.
Both myself and others have seen this after the BMS update, but it can be seen as very misleading.
They say a picture say's a thousands words.
I see in your picture, that you are displaying your "Current Journey".
That's fine !.
But on the next screen ( not shown ) you will see your "Accumulated" miles, this combined with the "Current" trip is what inflates the predicted range that you are witnessing.
Your picture show's that you are using "Eco" mode, which is fine, but by its pure nature, provides the best predicted mileage possible.
Your Miles/Kwh is brilliant at 6.3 but does reflect the low average speed of 28 MPH.
It appears that you are an extremely low user case, with a car that is now over two years old and only covering 7619 miles.
When the "Long Winded" steps are followed 100% correctly, I would expect to see a pack voltage of 448 - 450 volts and a predicted range of around 163 miles.
Why is any of this necessary, I hear you say ?.
Well, given your small usage case, then quite frankly - It's not that important to you !.
Please don't think I am trying to tell you how to suck egg's here and don't in anyway want to come over as "Gobby".
The strange way that the trips work to produce this inflated prediction of the range, is some thing that only appears to happen after the Jan 15th released BMS update has been applied.
It does affect cars running on the original factory soft ware.
If you allow BOTH of the trips to continue to over inflate the predicted mileage, when you then decide to take a LONG trip based on this inflated prediction ( say 210 miles ) then I can almost guarantee that you will not get even close to that figure !.
You will set off with your 210 miles of range, but as the car detects the change of use pattern, it will start stripping back the range really fast !.
Resetting the trips before you start, will see your precious 210 miles of range disappear I am sorry to say, but what you will get in return, is a MUCH better and closer predicted mileage that could be achieved.
It is easy for me to see why your predicted range is 210 miles.
Given the picture you have kindly provided.
If you wish to see your inflated range, then do nothing at all and it is very likely to keep increasing.
But in reality, it is massively over rated and more importantly unachievable.
Which when carrying out a long journey, is extremely important that the prediction is closer to an actual figure.

Sorry, should have said the picture of the dash was last year, I am kind of proud of the figure. Also although the average speed seems low there were 50 mph stretch's and traffic lights, and not all downhill as a 20 mile hill around here does not exist!.
so here's a thing, in the summer last year my long term average was 4.4 mile per kilowatt hour.
with a a full battery 42.5 usable, gom should read 187 but it never went above 179 ever!
It should if gom is accurate!

Sorry, should have said the picture of the dash was last year, I am kind of proud of the figure. Also although the average speed seems low there were 50 mph stretch's and traffic lights, and not all downhill as a 20 mile hill around here does not exist!.
so here's a thing, in the summer last year my long term average was 4.4 mile per kilowatt hour.
with a a full battery 42.5 usable, gom should read 187 but it never went above 179 ever!
It should if gom is accurate!
Thanks for that !.
That was pre BMS update right ?.
We have moved on from them results and figure now.
Please carry out the checks and then report back on your findings.
We can then compare to what others have seen on this huge BMS debate.
If you feel like a long bedroom story, then just search for BMS issues in the forum and pass away many hours absorbing the brilliant post's from other ZS EV ( Gen 1) owners.
Last year, this topic was super hot and involved a LOT of very knowledgable people and the better dealers to help sort out.
SOME cars had been badly affected by the inclusion of some "Buggy" software that massively reduced both the range and the power of some owners cars.
As a result HV batteries became badly out of balance.
The thread maybe seen as "Long Winded" :ROFLMAO: but a very interesting read.

Thanks for that !.
That was pre BMS update right ?.
We have moved on from them results and figure now.
Please carry out the checks and then report back on your findings.
We can then compare to what others have seen on this huge BMS debate.
If you feel like a long bedroom story, then just search for BMS issues in the forum and pass away many hours absorbing the brilliant post's from other ZS EV ( Gen 1) owners.
Last year, this topic was super hot and involved a LOT of very knowledgable people and the better dealers to help sort out.
SOME cars had been badly affected by the inclusion of some "Buggy" software that massively reduced both the range and the power of some owners cars.
As a result HV batteries became badly out of balance.
The thread maybe seen as "Long Winded" :ROFLMAO: but a very interesting read.
Morning, I have just put my car on charge (granny) did a mileage reset.
SOC is about 83% voltage only 434! never seen it that low?

I would have thought that SOC of 83% and 434 volts is about right for that state of charge? I keep records of my charging and the nearest I have to compare is SOC of 80% and 429 volts.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom