• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Good, bad or average?

Driving at 60-70mph drives me nuts. At 60mph, you're constantly looking for the gap to pull out from behind the truck doing 55, at 70 your constantly looking for the gap to get out from behind the middle lane hog, I find that at 80 on clear-ish motorways, I tend to not have to vary speed or change lane very often.
Obviously, when it's busier time or area, speed tends to be closer to 60 and that's fine. I'm not a speed merchant, just really wondered how much range penalty is payable for the extra 10mph
Although the figures are for Tesla, I’m sure most EVs will have a comparable percentage degradation in range at the speeds shown

Although the figures are for Tesla, I’m sure most EVs will have a comparable percentage degradation in range at the speeds shown

All Tesla have excellent aerodynamic properties which means that their consumption doesn't rise as quickly with speed as cars with less good aero. The 5 has relatively poor aero compared to a Tesla and will suffer from a greater rate of increase in consumption. The same applies to the LEAF which shows these characteristics:
Nissan-Leaf-Range-Chart-develop-by-drivers-2-The-table-shows-the-relationship-between.png

But I suspect that you have made up your mind and will drive at the speed regardless of the cost in range. In theory the electronics should help if you use the ACC and just don't bother overtaking.

All Tesla have excellent aerodynamic properties which means that their consumption doesn't rise as quickly with speed as cars with less good aero. The 5 has relatively poor aero compared to a Tesla and will suffer from a greater rate of increase in consumption. The same applies to the LEAF which shows these characteristics:
View attachment 8654
But I suspect that you have made up your mind and will drive at the speed regardless of the cost in range. In theory the electronics should help if you use the ACC and just don't bother overtaking.
Me or was the second comment aimed at someone else?

I’ve made my mind up to always sit on ACC at 65mph through a 70mph limit and at a maximum of the speed limit everywhere else. I have a feeling my roofbox will be the equivalent of an extra 10mph speed with regards to consumption/efficiency.

View attachment 8654
If it were aimed at me, yes I have made up my mind about the speed at which I choose to drive. That doesn't stop me being curious.
Also, knowing the percentage penalty could be useful if electrons are getting low and you're a fair way from a rapid.
If slowing down by 10mph can increase your available range by 15 or 20 miles then it's worth knowing.

I went to Blackpool in my 5 from Shropshire once on motorway put her to 70 and mg pilot on got to Blackpool refreshed and relaxed i was amazed hot the drive was and did same coming back when done before in a ice car I knew I had did the journey even on cruse

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom