Good or bad idea?

ippy1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I’m getting frustrated with 1) the ever rising cost of fuel and 2) the extended waiting times for new Ev’s
So, I’ve had a deposit on a ZS EV trophy long range since only May, which in the current climate won’t be available this year!
I’m considering buying a standard range, as there are a few around, to tide me over till my LR arrives, and then selling on and switching.
Does this sound like a good or bad idea ?

I’m getting frustrated with 1) the ever rising cost of fuel and 2) the extended waiting times for new Ev’s
So, I’ve had a deposit on a ZS EV trophy long range since only May, which in the current climate won’t be available this year!
I’m considering buying a standard range, as there are a few around, to tide me over till my LR arrives, and then selling on and switching.
yes

You’ll need to factor in an element of depreciation. Depends what you’re current situation. If, for example, you have a used ICE now which will depreciate anyway and possibly an expensive MOT, then it might be worth a shout.
However, if you’ve got a reliable car that’s still got plenty of life and doesn’t have much depreciating to do… might be less of an issue.

Down under in New Zealand the supply chain is so ratshit that anything with EV in the name is selling for inflated prices so I suspect that your scheme would work in our environment Ippy1. Down here we don't have the option of the LR, the first shipment are all SR and I believe the second shipment is also. This isn't really as sad as first impression though. The LR is recommended to be charged to only 80% which coincidentally is about 200 miles, the fully charged range of the SR. Because the SR uses LFP battery chemistry they can be charged to 100% every time, so unless you are prepared to accept accelerated battery degradation, or plan ahead enough to do a 100% charge the night before you go on a longer trip, then most days the LR and SR will begin the day with similar range.

You should get a good trade in price against your LR when it arrives. I traded in my mk1 zs for the LR trophy and got a fantastic deal.

If you’ve got the cash spare, go for it. Any depreciation would be (partially) offset by the difference between Dino juice costs v ‘lectric.

Having just spent 1.817/litre on diesel I’d be doing the same, except I’m about £30k short….

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom