goodbye and all the best

Will do TassieEvil. I have decided to go with a 7 seater SUV called the Tang, the top-spec only EV model to be sold in Australia is rumoured to go on sale for under $50,000 with leather interior, panoramic roof, a power liftgate, wireless phone charging and all the safety tech found on high-end vehicles. It has dual motors with a range of 400-450kms, Blade battery technology with 800V charging capabilities, I hope I'm using the right terminology. Using a high-speed public charger it is estimated to get 125km with 5 minutes of charge time. I was going to go with the BYD EA1 EV hatchback at under $35,000 but I can afford the SUV if it is indeed sold at under $50,000 drive away.

Last edited:
Blade battery technology with 800kw charging capabilities,
I think you mean 800 V high power charging, rumoured to be around 86 kW charging speed (untested). [ Edit: web site says 110 kW. ] Even the biggest Porsches can't charge faster than 270 kW, and ultra rapid chargers in Australia are a maximum of 350 kW at present (and there are few of those, thanks to our infrastructure support from our federal government, or lack thereof).

The thing that worries me about the BYDs in Australia is that the importer (Nexport) seems to be making outlandish claims for the smaller EA1 model, like 500 km range for under AU$35k. Great if it happens, but somehow I think they're fishing for publicity, or government support (good luck), or both. Plus, who knows how long it will take for them to actually get here, what will the support be like, and so on. A company like MG already has a dealer and parts network in place.

But I understand the appeal of the specifications... 🤤

Last edited:
I think you mean 800 V high power charging, rumoured to be around 86 kW charging speed (untested). Even the biggest Porsches can't charge faster than 270 kW, and ultra rapid chargers in Australia are a maximum of 350 kW at present (and there are few of those, thanks to our infrastructure support from our federal government, or lack thereof).

The thing that worries me about the BYDs in Australia is that the importer (Nexport) seems to be making outlandish claims for the smaller EA1 model, like 500 km range for under AU$35k. Great if it happens, but somehow I think they're fishing for publicity, or government support (good luck), or both. Plus, who knows how long it will take for them to actually get here, what will the support be like, and so on. A company like MG already has a dealer and parts network in place.

But I understand the appeal of the specifications... 🤤
Order books open on the 1st of July with deliveries scheduled from January to March 2022. In NSW The NRMA will be servicing the BYD vehicles and will come to the owners house or work. Nexport are building a factory in NSW and initially will build electric buses, trucks and passenger vehicles down the track so I would be surprised if a parts warehouse is not built on this site as well. A MG ZS EV owner in Qld had a steering issue with his EV and had to wait several weeks for the parts to arrive at his dealership to fix his EV. At least they gave him a loan car. What I also like about BYD, Nexport the Importer have a dedicated production line for our right hand drive vehicles bound for Australia at the BYD factory and Australian engineers are there putting their input in the vehicle's specifications and handling for the vehicles being sent to Australia, so a YouTuber has stated on his channel. He has been in contact with both BYD and Nexport the importer.

That is interesting.
I think there are many impressive cars out there from byd/xpeng/etc. If they're selling in Aus then that bodes well for the uk - you drive on the left same as us I think?

That is interesting.
I think there are many impressive cars out there from byd/xpeng/etc. If they're selling in Aus then that bodes well for the uk - you drive on the left same as us I think?
Yes, we drive on the left and yes it will bode well for you all in the UK if BYD starts selling across the whole of Europe. Considering BYD's plan is to sell 6 models here as the most affordable EVs in Australia.

The MG ZS EV top spec only sold here, which sells for $43,990 drive away, $500 more for Red or Regal mid blue paint and is currently our cheapest EV in Australia.

BYD will be selling their EA1 hatchback EV, built on its new EV platform and released at the Shanghai Motorshow on the 21st of April, for well under $35,000 drive away and a 7 seat SUV EV called the Tang which is about to go on sale in Norway which has been rumoured to sell for under $50,000 drive away in Australia.

I definitely will be ordering the 7 seater Tang SUV EV If that price is correct.

Last edited:
It would be great if all those rumoured specs and prices were true. Great for the take-up of EVs all around the world. Unfortunately they are only rumours.

Just look at how long it took the Tesla Model 3 to actually be available for the promised US$35k in the US. Literally years from when that promise was made. And look at our AUD drive-away prices for Model 3s today.

If you need a vehicle the size of the Tang, waiting for it is probably the best move. My advice would be: use the time to save up a little more, so you will still be able to buy it if the price does not quite meet the expectations set by those rumours.

I think the rumour is very accurate it has been revealed the information came straight from the manufacturer and the Australian importer so the pricing for both EVs will be as stated. The final price figures will be revealed in the coming month.

Which of the specs they have for Norway can you do without? Will your list be long enough to cut the cost in half?
NOK 600k converts to AUD $93k, and there's no tax in Norway for EVs. By the time you add our GST, LCT, and stamp duty in most states, that number blows out to more than twice the $50k you expect to pay.

Prices vary from country to country as well as the difference in worldwide currency. The MG ZS EV cost more in the UK before incentives than what it costs here for the same spec model. Like I said these vehicles will be sold here under the prices I quoted straight from what the manufacturer and importer have said after all they set the price. BYD plan to sell their 6 EV models here that are or below price parity with an equivalent ICE vehicle. Time will tell. You can find the stories related to BYD Australian release on the Internet, the latest stories were released around the 21st to 26th of April 2021 talking about the BYD EA1.

Last edited:
Hi Pete,
I am too interested in the Tang, and am currently in the market for a replacement for my Outlander PHEV, will wait till July and see what transposes, I just hope its not all rumour, if in fact they do sell for 50kish...they won't be on the shelves for long !!!

Have you registered at evdirect.com.au? The BYD Han a Tesla rival, is on display today Wednesday the 12th and tomorrow at the Sydney International convention Centre. The Tang SUV will sell well if its under 50 grand and it is in fact the top spec only model to be sold here and the EA1 Hatchback EV for under $35,000 will be a game changer with a range of 500km. There is also a tradie style van called the T3 EV that is going on sale here to for $49,000. They are already here in Australia and just going through some government formalities before they go on sale.

Almost seems to good to be true, hopefully will be that low and if so will bode well even here in the UK for the future.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom