code10

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
After three months of thrilling drives, it's time to part ways with my Camden Grey MG4 Xpower. In my 27+ years of driving, I've never owned anything with this much acceleration. This car is incredibly fast – it's like having a personal rocket, capable of leaving 99% of other vehicles in the dust. The power surge that pushes you back into your seat is not just addictive; it encourages a spirited driving style, though it's worth noting this can sometimes draw unwanted attention on the roads. Additionally, its charging efficiency using a CCS charger is commendably fast.

However, my journey with this car hasn't been without its bumps. Despite its impressive speed, the vehicle struggles with vibration at legal motorway speeds, and the regenerative braking performance leaves much to be desired. The inability to coast and its surprisingly limited range on a 64kWh battery, regardless of driving style or the use of ancillary systems, are significant drawbacks. The car is plagued by a variety of system glitches, and the cumbersome touchscreen interface, especially for disabling the lane-keeping assist which seems overly intrusive, detracts from the driving experience. The absence of a simple car on/off button, a less-than-stellar app, and the myriad of squeaks and creaks from the plastics are additional frustrations that I've encountered.

While the base model of the car and its 0-60 capabilities are commendable, the overall experience has fallen short of my expectations. For my next vehicle, I’ll be looking for something with less outright performance but significantly better range and refinement.

I want to express my gratitude to this community for all the valuable information and support. Your insights have been greatly appreciated during my time here. It's been a pleasure reading your posts.

Farewell...

Last edited by a moderator:
MG must learn that tolerance levels being pushed to the limit will result in exactly what you have done.

I know there are others on here who feel the same, and are considering throwing in the towel.

What you have done will be fully understood by those on here, who also have daily issues with the car, and will no doubt result in others following suit, and or, rejecting their cars.

All The Best For The Future and I hope you find something that better meets your expectations.

MG! Are you listening yet?

Last edited:
they will only address the owners who head to court. To which i will be. All he best with your new choice, id go the 300hp Cupra.
He hasn’t seen the depreciation yet or the cupra prices. We drove the Cupra born before buying MG, nice car, however once you added your wheels & stereo etc along with decent range it got very silly price wise. I understand the above chap & haven’t suffered “vibration” myself. For the money the X Power is “currently” unbeatable in my opinion. And it wasn’t my first ev. Each to their own 👍

Pleased to say the finance company I am leasing with accepted my rejection of vehicle mainly on the vibration issue after dealership failed to fix the fault. I get my deposit back and a £150 apology payment but lose the x number of monthly payments (I think this is very fair)

Not my first EV either (Kia E-Niro which was excellent if boring and prob has made the MG experience far worse in comparison) - you are very lucky if you don't have the vibration, ruins the car imo. I did choose the MG probably for the same reasons as you did.

Choices are difficult - maybe a lightly used model 3 long range or polestar 2? Big battery top spec Nissan Ariya looks interesting. I expect I will be driving my daughters 10 yo purple fiat 500 for a few weeks whilst I sort something out... that will incentivise me to hurry up.

I do think some good EV models will come to market in the next 18 months so this next choice will be a shorter commitment whatever gets chosen.

Pleased to say the finance company I am leasing with accepted my rejection of vehicle mainly on the vibration issue after dealership failed to fix the fault. I get my deposit back and a £150 apology payment but lose the x number of monthly payments (I think this is very fair)

Not my first EV either (Kia E-Niro which was excellent if boring and prob has made the MG experience far worse in comparison) - you are very lucky if you don't have the vibration, ruins the car imo. I did choose the MG probably for the same reasons as you did.

Choices are difficult - maybe a lightly used model 3 long range or polestar 2? Big battery top spec Nissan Ariya looks interesting. I expect I will be driving my daughters 10 yo purple fiat 500 for a few weeks whilst I sort something out... that will incentivise me to hurry up.

I do think some good EV models will come to market in the next 18 months so this next choice will be a shorter commitment whatever gets chosen.
Not forgetting the lower prices for second hand ev,s on autotrader 👍 I am glad you didnt get stung (I lost a big lump on an Enyaq iv60). I agree by summer there will be more choice of new models at lower prices. May be worth running a corsa until then & get your money back on that? IF I were a wealthy man I would pick the ionic 5N or the Polestar 2 long range. Whatever you choose I/we wish you well.

After three months of thrilling drives, it's time to part ways with my Camden Grey MG4 Xpower. In my 27+ years of driving, I've never owned anything with this much acceleration. This car is incredibly fast – it's like having a personal rocket, capable of leaving 99% of other vehicles in the dust. The power surge that pushes you back into your seat is not just addictive; it encourages a spirited driving style, though it's worth noting this can sometimes draw unwanted attention on the roads. Additionally, its charging efficiency using a CCS charger is commendably fast.

However, my journey with this car hasn't been without its bumps. Despite its impressive speed, the vehicle struggles with vibration at legal motorway speeds, and the regenerative braking performance leaves much to be desired. The inability to coast and its surprisingly limited range on a 64kWh battery, regardless of driving style or the use of ancillary systems, are significant drawbacks. The car is plagued by a variety of system glitches, and the cumbersome touchscreen interface, especially for disabling the lane-keeping assist which seems overly intrusive, detracts from the driving experience. The absence of a simple car on/off button, a less-than-stellar app, and the myriad of squeaks and creaks from the plastics are additional frustrations that I've encountered.

While the base model of the car and its 0-60 capabilities are commendable, the overall experience has fallen short of my expectations. For my next vehicle, I’ll be looking for something with less outright performance but significantly better range and refinement.

I want to express my gratitude to this community for all the valuable information and support. Your insights have been greatly appreciated during my time here. It's been a pleasure reading your posts.

Farewell...
Are you trading it in?

Would you mind sharing the lease/finance company details? I am due to pick my xpower up in June and if it's the same company I guess could use your experience as a precedent.. I'm moving from a Kia Soul EV.. so same as your e-niro with different body.. so I'm concerned...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom