GPS Speed limit indicators

Ureds47

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Only had my MG5 for a few weeks and I'm still finding good and indifferent things as I go along...mainly good!
I have noticed however that my commute into Nottingham City Centre goes through numerous speed limits but this car is very poor at accurately displaying the speed limit. Quite often it just gives up and display's a dotted line, and worryingly on one 30 mph road it displays the NSL.
Not to be relied upon if you do need a quick sense check of the limit.

Anyone else noticed this?

It's a bit of a pain. I believe that it uses camera to read the road signs and then display the speed limit. If it misses the sign it will often stick with the last value it saw. If it can't make it's mind up, you get the 3 dots. There's a third alarm which is when it's confused by sineage and says condition speed limit applies.

It also flashes on and off if slightly over the speed limit, occasionally doesn't recognise the difference between 60mph national speed limit and 70mph motorway speed limit which results in the display flashing non stop for most of the M1 even though I'm driving at less than 70mph.

Oh... it also contradicts Google maps speed limits on occasion.

It's a bit of a pain. I believe that it uses camera to read the road signs and then display the speed limit. If it misses the sign it will often stick with the last value it saw. If it can't make it's mind up, you get the 3 dots. There's a third alarm which is when it's confused by sineage and says condition speed limit applies.

It also flashes on and off if slightly over the speed limit, occasionally doesn't recognise the difference between 60mph national speed limit and 70mph motorway speed limit which results in the display flashing non stop for most of the M1 even though I'm driving at less than 70mph.

Oh... it also contradicts Google maps speed limits on occasion.
A long press on the OK button will get rid of the flashing sign, a further long press will take it back again

Google speed limits only display if Google enable it for that piece of road at that time. I travel on the same road daily, sometimes its on sometimes its off so I use Waze now purely as an aide memoire on roads I don't know and haven't seen any speed markers

The speed limit is also displayed on the Sat Nav screen, again not always 100% accurate… as with all these systems they’re a drivers aid, the responsibility is yours!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom