Speed Limit Sign Recognition

Anyone else find that turning off the speed limit warning (The annoying thing that flashes the current speed sign icon) turns back on after a few days?

As all other driving aids, the speed recognition display should only be fonan assistance, not to be relied on. It gets it wrong often enough and the driver is the one who should keep his/her eyes open enough and brain switched on to know what maximum speed is applicable. Both the Google Maps database as well as the sign recognition of the MG5 get it wrong often enough to be unreliable.

Just a thought. If you activate the sat nav that also gives speed limits and does not always agree with the recognition camera. This is understandable with temporary limits - but other times - who do you believe? Always best to relay on the mark one eye ball!
Very true. My Satnav is always on. It gives me the speed limits for every road. And voice prompts tell me if I am about to exceed the limit. I have the ZS EV. Thanks.

Very true. My Satnav is always on. It gives me the speed limits for every road. And voice prompts tell me if I am about to exceed the limit. I have the ZS EV. Thanks.
The car's built in satnav does not have live updates so every day the info gets 1 day more out of date and unreliable.

I get that too, usually (possibly always) when Google Maps shows no speed limit listed for the section of the road that I am on. I'm unsure whether this is that it thinks that I'm not on the road due to GPS issues or whether the section of the road genuinely doesn't have a speed limit recorded.
Next time it happens I'll check on OpenStreetMap to see what the listed speed limit is.
I bought an MG 4 EV trophy yesterday. The speed limiter facility was crucial in my choice. Mine is supposed to operate by recognising speed signs. Much of the time it fails to do so! I get that same (- -) sign that you do. The dealer doesn’t seem to know why. 😡

I bought an MG 4 EV trophy yesterday. The speed limiter facility was crucial in my choice. Mine is supposed to operate by recognising speed signs. Much of the time it fails to do so! I get that same (- -) sign that you do. The dealer doesn’t seem to know why. 😡
Have you had a car that reads speed signs before ?
The reason I ask is, my previous car, a Prius, did and it was just the same in terms of accuracy, I thought they were all the same.

My experience is the same, all a bit hit and miss, but the others (Audi, VW, Kia) knew the national limit on motorways and dual carriageways was 70 not 60. Plus is does not work with older style motorway gantries and signs that have just a number rather than a road sign symbol.

I switch off the function as I'm fed up with it flashing at me all the time, shame it doesn't remember the setting :(

Have you had a car that reads speed signs before ?
The reason I ask is, my previous car, a Prius, did and it was just the same in terms of accuracy, I thought they were all the same.
My previous cars have given me the speed limit, but as far as I know, not read from the speed signs on the road. They were quick and accurate.

My previous cars have given me the speed limit, but as far as I know, not read from the speed signs on the road. They were quick and accurate.
From the navigation system then. These too can be inaccurate depending how up to date the maps are.

Previous cars I've owned - and my wife's current car are all pretty accurate with the display of speed limits but they all used/use the camera together with GPS data to provide a more accurate reading. The MG5 only uses the camera hence it is not very accurate.

Yeah, I raised this with the garage not long after I got my 5 (LR Exclusive pre-facelift) back in September '21. Their (Chorely MG) demo model did the same thing. I assumed this would eventually get back to MG and be fixed in a software update at the service. Clearly not...
Not only does it not read the 20 signs, if you drive past a 20 sign with the 'intelligent speed assist' (the automatic speed limiter) switched on, it'll crash with an error and disable the limiter. (not that anyone uses that, because it's wrong more than it's right anyway)

Took delivery this week and so far delighted but finding out the quirks.
The speed limit sign recognition system mostly works but is not so good on country lanes with trees/branches in the way.
However whilst it picks up 30, 40, 50, 60 and derestricted signs it has so far failed to recognise 20 sign despite passing a lot of very clear ones.
Has anyone else had this happen?
Same issue, doesn't always pick up if limited sign is not square to road or covered in algae or moss like many are hereabouts. Ignores 20 signs completely

Took delivery this week and so far delighted but finding out the quirks.
The speed limit sign recognition system mostly works but is not so good on country lanes with trees/branches in the way.
However whilst it picks up 30, 40, 50, 60 and derestricted signs it has so far failed to recognise 20 sign despite passing a lot of very clear ones.
Has anyone else had this happen?
Yep. My 2 week old Trophy LR is exactly the same. It defaults to --- if there aren't any signs to read!!

Same issue, doesn't always pick up if limited sign is not square to road or covered in algae or moss like many are hereabouts. Ignores 20 signs completely
Mine's pretty poor, as well - my Ford does it much more accurately.

However, mine seemed to spot a 20 sign the other day, but reported it as 70!

My Prius used to pick up any round sign with numbers in and display it as the speed limit.
Imagine self driving cars doing that and interpreting km/h as mph, I've seen foreign lorries with 100km/h signs on. :oops:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom