GPS switching off

MellyW

Standard Member
Reaction score
Does the gps turn off automatically after a number of hours. I get a can't contact GPS message after around q to 2 days. If I unlock and relock the car the gps appears.

I think I must be missing something as I don't understand the question.
GPS (Global Positioning System), what messages are you referring to on the satnav ? Where does it re-appear ?

The message appears on the app. when I press the status button after a day or so. For maybe 1 day I get the status data but after that it fails to connect to the vehicle GPS. If I unlock and unlock the car it connects ok again. I am wondering if the vehicle GPS turns off after a while to save battery power or is it a fault in the system?

@MellyW

I've never seen that message but I notice you live in Sleaford and I wonder which part of the town? (I live in one of the nearby villages!) And which MG model do you have?

I ask about your location because roads around the centre of the town are real "not-spots" for DAB radio reception - signal drop-outs, distortion etc., - and I wonder whether wherever you are has a similar problem with maintaining communication with at least some of the satellites needed for the GPS signal? (My "old" ICE car, an MG6, also experienced these radio drop-outs, with quite frequent switching between DAB and FM radio.)

(I don't think what you are seeing is that it fails to connect to the vehicle GPS but rather that the vehicle is failing to pick up any GPS signal.)

The message appears on the app. when I press the status button after a day or so. For maybe 1 day I get the status data but after that it fails to connect to the vehicle GPS. If I unlock and unlock the car it connects ok again. I am wondering if the vehicle GPS turns off after a while to save battery power or is it a fault in the system?
App? What app?

@MellyW

I've never seen that message but I notice you live in Sleaford and I wonder which part of the town? (I live in one of the nearby villages!) And which MG model do you have?

I ask about your location because roads around the centre of the town are real "not-spots" for DAB radio reception - signal drop-outs, distortion etc., - and I wonder whether wherever you are has a similar problem with maintaining communication with at least some of the satellites needed for the GPS signal? (My "old" ICE car, an MG6, also experienced these radio drop-outs, with quite frequent switching between DAB and FM radio.)

(I don't think what you are seeing is that it fails to connect to the vehicle GPS but rather that the vehicle is failing to pick up any GPS signal.)
I live in Folkingham but I seem to lose the gps after about a day or so. It seems to always be the same, no GPS after a day but if I unlock and relock the car it gets the gps. I suspect it's a battery saving thing which turns of GPS but can't find anything in the write ups is it a software issue?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom