Grab Handle Driver's Side

Big John

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
This may have been posted before.
As I am disabled I would need support in getting out of the MGZS ev. There is no internal grab handle above the door on the drivers side but there is on the passenger side. Has any member had one fitted, or can the one on the passenger side be swopped over?

Hi John, I understand from posts on here that one can be fitted. However there are no locating holes pre-drilled or fixings in place I n the RHD cars. This is surprising given the RHD and LHD markets. You would expect it to be ready to fit. One can be fitted but a bit more work to do it.

Hi John. I miss the driver's side grab handle from my C-Class Merc, too

I asked if I could have one fitted on my new MG5 prior to collection - or, alternatively whether I could buy a handle and fit it myself. The salesman asked one of the firm's technicians whether this would be possible.

The technician's advice was, that it would probably be against the warranty - especially as the side airbags are situated near where the handle would be fitted with the obvious risks

Needless to say, I dropped the idea, like a hot potato!

Unfortunately, the lack of drivers grab handles have almost become a thing of the past.
Not sure if it is down to cost cutting, or they consider that because the driver has a steering wheel to use for leverage, then it is not needed anymore ?????.
I would have thought that the air bags in that location would have been the same for both L/H and R/H models ????.
Checking with the dealer could be a starting point.
There must be an area evident, under the head lining where the grab handle is situated for the L/H drive cars on the body shell, that could be checked for ?.
I find it highly unlikely the body shell pattern is different for both L/H and R/H cars in that location !.
My guess is, that the mounting point will be there to use on R/H cars, but it may not have any type of fasteners installed.
It may require two holes drilling in the rail.
Surely a good obliging dealer, could release the head liner in the drivers door area, and then carry out a visual check for the possibility of installing a grab handle for you ?.
Or even pass a thin flexible camera in the location and make a quick video to explain why they can or can not install the handle.
I can see no reason why installing a additional grab handle, should be regarded as a violation against the T&C’s of the warranty, that is totally crazy.
They can see your situation, it’s something that you actually need to help get in and out of the car for gods sake.
What is wrong with people these days, they just WILL not go out of there way to help people any more !.
I would try speaking to a more sympathetic dealer, would be my best advice.
It’s not rocket 🚀 science !.

Many thanks guys much appreciated. I will now check with dealer and explain that it could be a deal breaker.
I always have extended runners fitted to the drivers seat. This is done by a professional Motability adaption technician, Des Gosling. If necessary I will ask for a test drive and take the vehicle to him for his assesment.

Many thanks guys much appreciated. I will now check with dealer and explain that it could be a deal breaker.
I always have extended runners fitted to the drivers seat. This is done by a professional Motability adaption technician, Des Gosling. If necessary I will ask for a test drive and take the vehicle to him for his assesment.
That's a great shout @Big John !.
I am sure even the parts department could look at the exploded view of the handle on the computer.
Sometimes it will display other items fitted in the same location.
This maybe usefully if you are going to ask the motability guy to install one ?.
Good luck John.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom