Granny charger failed.

Ref guarantee, if for any reason your main battery fails you can be sure that MG will do all they can to avoid paying for a new main battery. If they suss out you have used a non-standard charger you may have to prove that it is ok. Why take the risk? As an electronics engineer I do understand volts/amps etc but also the many differences in switch-mode power supplies which can affect performance of any system connected.

A couriered option would have been appreciated and gone a long way to retaining my custom for our next purchase, but it was not to be and as the production of the charger and car were required to proceed it was clearly impractical. Luckily Reeds of Grimsby are now MG franchised and did what others couldn't or wouldn't.
This is always my worry. Living in Orkney means that everything, including servicing cost me at the very least £200, that's just to get to the nearest dealership.

Following the failure of my Granny charger, (MGZSEV forum 07/03/21) and the efforts made to remedy it via:
1. A well established MG dealer not too far from me.
2. The supplying dealer.
3. A new dealership at Grimsby.
4. MG direct.
Number 1
The established dealer, true to the inference from their employees' past suggestion, when I did not buy my car from them, they have done nothing to help other than to convince me where not to buy my next EV.
Number 2
As for the EVs supplying dealer, nothing to add from my previous comments other than again, I know where I will be unlikely to purchase my next EV.
Number 3
The new MG franchise dealership, Reads of Grimsby who regrettably only became an MG dealer after I had bought my EV, have continued to be the best of the bunch.
Under warranty they have now provided me with a new replacement Granny charger.
Number 4
MG direct, I now realise if you contact the correct department / person, they can be helpful.
Conclusion
The Granny charger only has a 12 month warranty, whether you regularly use it or not it perhaps should be tried periodically in the warranty period. If Reads of Grimsby are within your driving comfort zone they are worth using.

Ref guarantee, if for any reason your main battery fails you can be sure that MG will do all they can to avoid paying for a new main battery. If they suss out you have used a non-standard charger you may have to prove that it is ok. Why take the risk? As an electronics engineer I do understand volts/amps etc but also the many differences in switch-mode power supplies which can affect performance of any system connected.
I know it's a bit offtopic, but it keeps me busy... I'm wondering if you, as engineer, could answer me the following:
You say that my, non MG, granny charger cant know all the switches etc. So how can old (like 7 years) chargepoints (11kW) in citycenters know all the switches of new EV's? Are they being updated? And if so, can't that be possible with non MG grannychargers?

Mine's still in it's wrapper, I better try it out.
Just tried mine, with my 20m, 13A continuous rated extension, works fine, no heating up of the mains plugs or sockets and the type 2 plug slid in easily, easier than my type 2 to type 2 cable does. (y)

A switch mode power supply uses an internal electronic switch running at high frequency, usually 25-50 kHz. A control system varies the waveform to control the output voltage to within the specification. The rather rough output voltage can contain transient voltage spikes that can cause problems with the load attached - the car battery in this case.

A switch mode power supply uses an internal electronic switch running at high frequency, usually 25-50 kHz. A control system varies the waveform to control the output voltage to within the specification. The rather rough output voltage can contain transient voltage spikes that can cause problems with the load attached - the car battery in this case.
Is that the "talking"? Are that the middle two elektrodes in the type 2 plug? So how does an old and random chargingpoint know its a brand new ev? And does that not form a problem?
The talking and the charging are two seperate flows in the cable, if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
The problem is not with the high speed chargers found in garage forecourts because these are all designed to a common specification which has been accepted by the car manufacturer. We were discussing the after-market “granny chargers” that have not been specifically approved by the car manufacturer. I just said I would not want to use one that has not been specifically approved by MG. Of course, it may be fine, but it’s an expensive risk!

The problem is not with the high speed chargers found in garage forecourts because these are all designed to a common specification which has been accepted by the car manufacturer. We were discussing the after-market “granny chargers” that have not been specifically approved by the car manufacturer. I just said I would not want to use one that has not been specifically approved by MG. Of course, it may be fine, but it’s an expensive risk!

I'm probably missing something, what bit is being discussed with regard to switched mode power supplies, but, a granny/home charger just passes through the AC power to the car through the cable - it doesn't muck around with the power or do anything to it.
Any comms is via the other pins in the cable.

I admit I do not know the details of the power systems in the MG. The MG granny charger does not specify an output voltage but I would normally expect a voltage capable of charging the battery at about 500v at 5A. However, the MG unit is somewhat small for a 2500w charger so maybe it is just an elaborate remote switch, in which case all I've written on switch mode supplies would be completely irrelevant.

Hi, I’ve only had my EV for 2 days and when I connect the granny charger, it works for about 10 mins, then when I go back to check on it, it says charger connected but not charging. I took it back to MG and it needed a software update. I connected it today and it still does the same thing. I am using an extension lead though. Any ideas? Thanks :)

I admit I do not know the details of the power systems in the MG. The MG granny charger does not specify an output voltage but I would normally expect a voltage capable of charging the battery at about 500v at 5A. However, the MG unit is somewhat small for a 2500w charger so maybe it is just an elaborate remote switch, in which case all I've written on switch mode supplies would be completely irrelevant.
The Mg has got an inverter under the bonnet which converts the 240 mains Ac voltage to whatever the DC voltage is required to charge the battery, I'm pretty sure all the granny charger does is a simple switch to communicate with the car to turn itself on when it's connected, same as a 7kw wall charger, they're not really a charger, just a smart switch that knows when to turn on when plugged into the car.

Whereas a rapid charger 50kw+ is actually a charger itself, converting voltages etc, the inverter in the car therefore isn't used with a rapid charger. I can't see any reason why you couldn't used any make of granny charger, it's only outputting the mains voltage anyway.

Hi, I’ve only had my EV for 2 days and when I connect the granny charger, it works for about 10 mins, then when I go back to check on it, it says charger connected but not charging. I took it back to MG and it needed a software update. I connected it today and it still does the same thing. I am using an extension lead though. Any ideas? Thanks :)
Maybe the extension lead can't handle the current????
- Pretty much all extensions leads need to be fully unwound to cope with the amount of juice we're talking about putting through them.
Easiest solution/test, find somewhere/someone that has an easily accessible plug socket that you can plug directly into to see what happens.

In addition to other advice, if you use powerline plug adapters for your internet around the house turn them off as these produce the same effect.

You need to go through a process of elimination. Firstly try a different charger if you can to eliminate if the fault is with your current charger. Try without extension if possible to eliminate that etc. Until you can narrow down where the fault lies. MG should be helping you Here.

Hi Refis24, when you took your car back did it undergo a diagnostic check or did the dealer have some mystic powers to identify the issue?

I am also a new MGZSEV owner and was advised by members of this site that when using the Granny charger, make sure the extension lead is not coiled, suitable for the load and not too far from the 3 pin socket to be used.

All went well until the charger failed and had to be replaced, under warranty which is only for 12 months as it is an "accessory".

If you are near a dealer I would ask them to get a charger out of a demo and try it in your presence.

Good luck.

My "granny" would not work from new, the green and amber lights flickered but it would not charge, the car "clicked" from around the charging port area, but would not continue to charging. Eventually the "granny" red fault light came on. The MG dealer replaced it, it has worked every time since.
Im on my second granny as the first worked fully for a couple of months then would just sit at connected but not charging.
Dealer replaced it but over the weekend my range from a full battery is about 50miles(showing 150 on the indicator but draining quickly) and this morning it has packed up altogother showing system control fault and HV battery fault.
The car is the worst thing i have ever chosen , intermittent starting issues since new. Cant wait to get shut!!

An update and hopefully a useful reminder.

Despite being a low mileage user I bit the bullet and had a home charger installed, like a past contributor's comment it was for peace of mind as I am a low mileage user. I also wondered when the government grant would next be reduced as EVs became more mainstream.

I searched the web for an affordable charger installed by a competent electrician and found one:

e: [email protected]
t: 07856 213443
w: www.cannon-electrical.com

Not to be confused with another company with a similar name.

I had an Ohme neatly installed.

Terrys communications, price and based on my experience of his installation today could be difficult to be bettered.

The Granny charger is an "accessory" and only has a 12 months guarantee, perhaps it should not be left in the boot without being occasionally used. My originginal one failed and was replaced, as previously reported.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom