Granny charger failed.

Was it a very "tight" fit when you plugged it into the car? mine was...almost like it wouldn't go in all the way.
My Type 2 cable is tight like that, i sometimes have to wiggle it to get it fully inserted, but the Pod Point tethered one is not.

As I only use my granny charger, unless on a long trip of course, I was wondering about getting a spare. I think I noticed that they can be bought off the web for £150, but I haven't asked the MG garage for a price.

Thanks for your interest I have a little to add about my experience to date and hope to start a new thread namely: Granny charger failed - Part Deux.

Granny charger failed - Part Deux.

Following the failure of my Granny charger which I brought to the notice of the MGZSEV forum on Sunday 7th (March) the next day I contacted:

1. A well established MG dealer not too far from me.
2. The supplying dealer.
3. A new dealership at Grimsby.
4. MG direct.

So 4 declared runners and riders, who I hoped might help.
Their subsequent performance follows.

Number 1

The established dealer initially struggled to acknowledge the issue or identify a part number for the failed charger but to be fair they contacted me later that day to report the matter was in hand.

The following day I recontacted them and oddly enough I heard a voice from my past dealings with this dealer when enquiring to buy an EV, I was advised the staff member who would be progressing the matter was off that day.

When looking to purchase an EV they could not compete on price but advised it should be borne in mind that "their customers" (and to be clear), those who had purchased an EV from them would be prioritised in the future should help or support be required.

Number 2

The EVs supplying dealer advised they would need to see the charger and car to confirm the fault before proceeding, fair enough albeit the round trip to them for me is 308 miles and at best 5hrs 45 mins a point acknowledged by the dealer.

In the absence of alternative options available through themselves they suggested I contact Reeds of Grimsby, a new MG dealership.

Number 3

The banker, who regrettably only became an MG dealer after I had bought my EV was Reeds of Grimsby.

They advised that unlike their other franchise, where they expect next day delivery for parts that are not stocked, MG would be 2 - 3 days after which they would sort out the warranty replacement procedure.

Number 4

I contacted MG directly by email to get a 'written trail', the upshot was they could not help, the issue being a dealership one to resolve.

All MG wanted was the names of the dealers contacted, I did not name anyone at that point but asked whether anything could be done to progress matters.
After that they decided I should contact another area of their organisation to advance matters and I immediately did but as yet cannot yet report the outcome.

Four days on

Number 1

The "established" dealer, nothing further heard.

I can only guess they are true to the staff members word who I communicated with when trying to buy an EV or the staff member they mentioned has not returned to work yet and / or they are very busy prioritising demands from "their" customers.

Number 2

Supplying dealer, nothing to add nor expected
albeit on first contact they appreciated the difficulties of a resolution via themselves.

Number 3

As for MG, very disappointing, it has taken 4 days for someone to redirect me to an area of MG who might actually be able to help.
I am not holding my breath for any early resolution as the charger is apparently a non stock item and one source has advised my replacement would be coming from China, I just hope it's not on a slow boat.

Number 4

Reeds of Grimsby, now an MG dealer, albeit not when I purchased my EV and still hostage to MGs poor supply of non stock parts.

On this community web site Reeds received a less than complimentary comment that made me unsure about using them.

I did actually test the water with a brake fluid service for our TFSI Audi prior to the EVs chargers saga. They collected the car, carried out the work, completed a health check, offered a very competitive tyre price for when the next service was due (soon) and returned the vehicle after giving it the best valet received from other dealers at service time.
We have kept the Audi until we become convinced one or more MG EVs will be reliable and sufficient to meet our needs.

As for the charger

The issue was raised with 3 dealers and directly to MG, (Monday AM it's Thursday at the time of reporting this saga).

Reeds advised the order had been postponed and was now on back order from China!
Unfortunately it was the service manager's day off so I asked for a resolution and it finally came with me being issued with a charger from a demonstrator. A young lady called Alicia managed to seemingly negotiate Reeds policies and procedures to get a mutually acceptable resolution.
AND
The sales manager advised I could ultimately swap the charger for the one enroute from China.

Well done Reads of Grimsby, your help and assistance towards resolving this saga surpassed others who didn't, couldn't or wouldn't help.

Last edited:
Did the replacement charger work ok?

Did you have to drive the 308 miles? I would have demanded that your supplying dealer send a replacement by courier immediately. A car you cannot charge is no use to anyone.

A couriered option would have been appreciated and gone a long way to retaining my custom for our next purchase, but it was not to be and as the production of the charger and car were required to proceed it was clearly impractical. Luckily Reeds of Grimsby are now MG franchised and did what others couldn't or wouldn't.

I never used the granny charger of MG, because it's to short and slow.
I use the Blaupunkt Mobile charger type2-8 meter. Works brilliant. Also extra safety for powersurges and you can adjust the amps for the needed situation. Doesnt solve your current problem, but it's a great alternative.

Screenshot_20210311-224738_Ecosia.jpg

I would not use any home charger that is not MG or specifically approved by MG. This might impinge on the warranty.

If you order your home box from BP PULSE make sure you have a granny. Promised 3 weeks to fit in january but still not fixed in. explained we are desperate but no change, we have called 11 times average time to answer 15 mins some calls 25 mins to answer, gives every excuse possible ie require photos,(3 times) require permission, from others (3 times) after 8 weeks said they require permission from western power,(why could they not do that at the start?) plus many other so called problems, so to me a granny lead is a life saver, i have now purchased another just in case cost £200.. Frustrated Kelvin.

Following the failure of my Granny charger which I brought to the notice of the MGZSEV forum on Sunday 7th (March) the next day I contacted:

2. The supplying dealer.
4. MG direct.

Number 1

The established dealer initially struggled to acknowledge the issue or identify a part number for the failed charger but to be fair they contacted me later that day to report the matter was in hand.

The following day I recontacted them and oddly enough I heard a voice from my past dealings with this dealer when enquiring to buy an EV, I was advised the staff member who would be progressing the matter was off that day.

When looking to purchase an EV they could not compete on price but advised it should be borne in mind that "their customers" (and to be clear), those who had purchased an EV from them would be prioritised in the future should help or support be required.

Number 2

The EVs supplying dealer advised they would need to see the charger and car to confirm the fault before proceeding, fair enough albeit the round trip to them for me is 308 miles and at best 5hrs 45 mins a point acknowledged by the dealer.

In the absence of alternative options available through themselves they suggested I contact Reeds of Grimsby, a new MG dealership.

Number 3

The banker, who regrettably only became an MG dealer after I had bought my EV was Reeds of Grimsby.

They advised that unlike their other franchise, where they expect next day delivery for parts that are not stocked, MG would be 2 - 3 days after which they would sort out the warranty replacement procedure.

Number 4

I contacted MG directly by email to get a 'written trail', the upshot was they could not help, the issue being a dealership one to resolve.

All MG wanted was the names of the dealers contacted, I did not name anyone at that point but asked whether anything could be done to progress matters.
After that they decided I should contact another area of their organisation to advance matters and I immediately did but as yet cannot yet report the outcome.

Four days on

Number 1

I can only guess they are true to the staff members word who I communicated with when trying to buy an EV or the staff member they mentioned has not returned to work yet and / or they are very busy prioritising demands from "their" customers.

Number 2

albeit on first contact they appreciated the difficulties of a resolution via themselves.

Number 3

As for MG, very disappointing, it has taken 4 days for someone to redirect me to an area of MG who might actually be able to help.
I am not holding my breath for any early resolution as the charger is apparently a non stock item and one source has advised my replacement would be coming from China, I just hope it's not on a slow boat.

Number 4

Reeds of Grimsby, now an MG dealer, albeit not when I purchased my EV and still hostage to MGs poor supply of non stock parts.

On this community web site Reeds received a less than complimentary comment that made me unsure about using them.

I did actually test the water with a brake fluid service for our TFSI Audi prior to the EVs chargers saga. They collected the car, carried out the work, completed a health check, offered a very competitive tyre price for when the next service was due (soon) and returned the vehicle after giving it the best valet received from other dealers at service time.
We have kept the Audi until we become convinced one or more MG EVs will be reliable and sufficient to meet our needs.

As for the charger

The issue was raised with 3 dealers and directly to MG, (Monday AM it's Thursday at the time of reporting this saga).

Reeds advised the order had been postponed and was now on back order from China!
Unfortunately it was the service manager's day off so I asked for a resolution and it finally came with me being issued with a charger from a demonstrator. A young lady called Alicia managed to seemingly negotiate Reeds policies and procedures to get a mutually acceptable resolution.
AND
The sales manager advised I could ultimately swap the charger for the one enroute from China.

Well done Reeds of Grimsby, your help and assistance towards resolving this saga surpassed others who didn't, couldn't or wouldn't help.
You can name the dealers that you were unhappy with, it helps us all.

2. The supplying dealer.
4. MG direct.

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Number 4

Four days on

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Number 4

As for the charger

AND

Well done Reeds of Grimsby, your help and assistance towards resolving this saga surpassed others who didn't, couldn't or wouldn't help.
That is utterly appalling service. The car is effectively rendered useless without it.
They must've had one available surely - from a demo/car in stock.

I would not use any home charger that is not MG or specifically approved by MG. This might impinge on the warranty.
The label MG doesn'pt guarantee anything. All standard chargingsites deliver 400V and a variable current. As long as the mobile charger delivers 400V the current really doesn't matter. A descent chargingpole delivers 32 A @400V (1 phase), so my mobile charger of another brand with 400V and maximum of 16A will suffice. Don't let the brand/name kidnap you.

Was it a very "tight" fit when you plugged it into the car? mine was...almost like it wouldn't go in all the way.
I just had a similar issue - first charge and neither charger would go beyond recognising the connected cable, with an actuator hammering noise. I pulled the manual lock release inside the engine bay, and somehow that realigned the lock pin so that the lock works and the car charges.

Our MGZSEV now covered 700 miles.

Apart from two free public charge visits the Granny charger has been used to refuel it whilst we looked at suitable home chargers.

Those Granny charges have been showing 450+ volts and 150+ mile range in normal, even during cold conditions.

Just as we were coming to terms with the EV "range anxiety" phenomenon and recognising the need for route planning the Granny charger appears to have failed, all three lights "blink" but that's as far as it gets so of course it is not charging.

Has anyone else experienced a faulty Granny charger and had success in quickly remedying the failure?
If you use a granny charger with an extension lead you must make sure the extension lead is correct otherwise the granny charger will not work - bought a very substantial extension lead snd no probs but when first used the lawnmower extension lead not enough to pull current thru !!

If you order your home box from BP PULSE make sure you have a granny. Promised 3 weeks to fit in january but still not fixed in. explained we are desperate but no change, we have called 11 times average time to answer 15 mins some calls 25 mins to answer, gives every excuse possible ie require photos,(3 times) require permission, from others (3 times) after 8 weeks said they require permission from western power,(why could they not do that at the start?) plus many other so called problems, so to me a granny lead is a life saver, i have now purchased another just in case cost £200.. Frustrated Kelvin.
Did you not consider using another company ?.
Two strikes and your out in my book !.
I would have been ringing around after the first failure by them !.
It is nice to have a second back up of the “Granny” unit granted, but the cost of having to purchase that second unit has now taken a big bite from your OLEV grant.
You could sell it WHEN you get your wall box fitted I guess, but that is probably not going to happen.
You could always leave it at a relatives house for when you visit I guess ???.
It’s all a bit of a poor show on behalf of BP really !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom