• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Granny Charger !!!!!!

A granny charger pulls about 2.2kW if the extension lead is 10A then that is the fuse rating i would imagine the cable is above that. Any issues and the 10A fuse would blow
2.2kW is bang on 10amps. Running at 10amps on a 10amp lead for hours is not something I would like to do. IMHO I would suggest you use a 13amp lead fully unwound.

What is the overall length of the granny charger and is the box with the lights waterproof?
Is there any option to extend the car side of the cable to avoid having the box part outdoors?

The lead from the charger to plug is about 500mm long from charger to car plug is about 2 mt long. You can buy extension type 2 socket to plug from the internet but not sure how good they are. Better to set up a out side waterproof wall socket near to place you wish to charge the car and would be cheaper to do.

Thanks, that's not very long. I'm looking to charge at work which would mean pulling up close to building and having the cable out the window.

Thanks, that's not very long. I'm looking to charge at work which would mean pulling up close to building and having the cable out the window.
As has been mentioned on many many threads, if you choose to use an extension lead make sure it is 13amp and uncoiled when in use. Have a look at Wickes.

I would strongly recommend just using a decent normal 13amp extension lead. Going down the route of extending the type 2 end is way more expensive for no benefit.

Have been charging with my granny charger and extension lead for about a month now with no issues all plugs & sockets have remained cool longest was 11 hours. Can recommend extension lead below from Screwfix

Great Value Product

ae235

PRO XT 13A 1-GANG UNSWITCHED EXTENSION LEAD 10M​

I purchased my MG EV November 2019 and have only ever charged with the Granny Charger plugged into a good quality extension lead. The plug on the Granny Charger is crap and overheated, chopped it off and fitted a good quality MK plug, problem solved! I often leave the car charging for six hours and never a problem.
Hi Dodger. I've had my MGZSEV for 2 years and always used the granny charger with no issues but tonight the plug and charger got really hot after a few hours so I wanted to try your suggestion and change the plug. Do you know which MK plug you bought as I want to make sure I get a good quality one. Thanks

Hi Dodger. I've had my MGZSEV for 2 years and always used the granny charger with no issues but tonight the plug and charger got really hot after a few hours so I wanted to try your suggestion and change the plug. Do you know which MK plug you bought as I want to make sure I get a good quality one. Thanks
Hi
Go to a proper electrical shop and tell them what you wish to change and would like a heavy duty MK plug. Do check the socket you plug into that there is no damage to that as well as that may need to be replaced, get a electrician in to check the wiring Inside the plug. The granny charger will get warm but not hot but it it what you define as hot?

Hi
Go to a proper electrical shop and tell them what you wish to change and would like a heavy duty MK plug. Do check the socket you plug into that there is no damage to that as well as that may need to be replaced, get a electrician in to check the wiring Inside the plug. The granny charger will get warm but not hot but it it what you define as hot?
Hi
Thanks for the advice> I'll get a sparks to check the socket and plug. Although the plug is moulded so I'll have to cut off. I'll replace it with a good quality one.

Hi
Thanks for the advice> I'll get a sparks to check the socket and plug. Although the plug is moulded so I'll have to cut off. I'll replace it with a good quality one.
Can I just ask 🤷‍♂️.
Is it the moulded plug on the end of the factory supplied "Granny" lead that you intend to cut off and then hopefully replace here ?.
If correct, remember that solid moulded plug is manufactured that way for a very good reason.
Although it is not totally water proof, it does offers some protection against damp conditions.
Unlike a domestic three pin plug that is primary made for indoor use.
I think you may experience some difficulty making off that supply cable into the terminals in a standard 13 Amp domestic three pin plug.
It is going to get a bit busy inside the standard plug and you may get some trouble getting the strain relief strap in the plug, to accommodate the rubber supply flex.
It has been suggested that there could be a over heat detection facility built into the factory three pin plug, but I am unable to substantiate if this is true.
If this correct, then just cutting off the plug and replacing it with a standard good quality domestic plug top maybe a little unsafe.
If the Granny has worked fine for a good while, then suddenly failed due to the heat, my concern would be why did it suddenly happen and what was the primary cause of that excessive heat being generated ???.
The socket outlet and it's wiring has to be checked urgently.
At the very minimum the socket outlet requires replacing with a good quality unit.
I know the case for continued and long use of a Granny lead on a domestic supply will roll on for every really.
Plenty of owners rightfully claiming they have used a Granny lead for years on end and never had a problem.
Strangely not unlike yourself in fact, when suddenly out of the blue, this then happens !.
Heat is produced by a high resistance which builds up slowly over time.
What starts off by being a very slightly bad terminal connection, becomes more of a problem as a constant high load is drawn via that bad connection, which then becomes weaker and weaker over time.
The high resistance can cause arching and burning and there is then a real concern for a fire.
I was a Granny cable user myself for about six months, until having a wall box installed.
These units can suffer from similar problems if not installed / maintained correctly.
Termination points are the likely cause of problems as wall boxes are passing even more load than a Granny unit.
For this reason wall boxes are a stand alone device, they have one job to do ONLY.

Can I just ask 🤷‍♂️.
Is it the moulded plug on the end of the factory supplied "Granny" lead that you intend to cut off and then hopefully replace here ?...

For this reason wall boxes are a stand alone device, they have one job to do ONLY.
No problem I appreciate the comments and agree with them all.
Happily for me my daughters partner is a fully qualified sparks and has his own business installing all kinds of industrial solutions including dedicated EVSE boxes. :) . He's going to out everything out and do the necessary. It is a short term solution for me as I'm hoping to move soon to a property and he's going install a wall charger. Possibly a 22kW if the wiring allows including adding a separate consumer board if necessary.
You're advice is sound though and I urge everyone on the forum to take note.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your comments (y).
You have it all well under control then.
( Just to say, that the ZS EV on board charger will only permit charging at 7 kW A/C regardless ).

Thanks for your comments (y).
You have it all well under control then.
( Just to say, that the ZS EV will only charge at 7 kW regardless ).
Hah also understood. I have in the past tried to explain to other ev drives the same thing only to be treated with derison most times. Still each to their own. I said possibly 22kW because if the wiring configuration allows we'll put in a 50kW DC charger. Well spotted :)

More to to with supply to house you need three phase
Again understood. It may not even be possible. But as I've said my daughter's partner is well versed and has done installations on a larger scale e.g. multiple points on 20+ parking spaces on new build apartment blocks in London.
Thanks for the input. i'm sure it will be useful for others on the forum.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom