Granny Charger !!!!!!

Granny charger

Hi do I use it or not ? Lots of posts suggest it’s dangerous plugs melting cables overheating etc…

Mine doesn’t reach the socket can I use an extension lead again lots say no and yes.

Does anyone out there use it regularly after all it comes with the car !!

I can’t see the the advantage of paying at least £600 for the 7kw socket to just charge the car a bit faster unless you tell me different I could run the car for a year using public chargers for £600

Any thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance 😁😁😁😁
I've used the granny charger a few times longest was about 12 hours. The socket and plug never got warmer than tepid. With regards to an extension lead as long as it's a 13amp rated extension and it is fully uncoiled it should be OK. The biggest problem you'll have is if it's raining and making sure the connection doesn't get wet. Another thing to take into account is the state of the wiring in your house, our house rewired about 6 years ago with an up to date distribution board.

I've used the granny charger a few times longest was about 12 hours. The socket and plug never got warmer than tepid. With regards to an extension lead as long as it's a 13amp rated extension and it is fully uncoiled it should be OK. The biggest problem you'll have is if it's raining and making sure the connection doesn't get wet. Another thing to take into account is the state of the wiring in your house, our house rewired about 6 years ago with an up to date distribution boar

Last edited:
I've used the granny charger a few times longest was about 12 hours. The socket and plug never got warmer than tepid. With regards to an extension lead as long as it's a 13amp rated extension and it is fully uncoiled it should be OK. The biggest problem you'll have is if it's raining and making sure the connection doesn't get wet. Another thing to take into account is the state of the wiring in your house, our house rewired about 6 years ago with an up to date distribution board.
The extension lead should have the correct carrying capacity and cross section of the flex used.
Nothing less than 1.5mm.
Larger at 2.5mm is even better.
The extension outlet socket, should be water resistant and be suitably rated at around IP 65 or above.

With VAT 6 mts of cable plug socket £32.45.

I have run this out of my shed to the back gate where I have put the socket on a board then I can just run the type 2 plug out under the gate to the car.

screwfix sell a EV extension cable 5m but you can not close the socket lid with the granny plug.

With VAT 6 mts of cable plug socket £32.45.

I have run this out of my shed to the back gate where I have put the socket on a board then I can just run the type 2 plug out under the gate to the car.

screwfix sell a EV extension cable 5m but you can not close the socket lid with the granny plug.
I've got an extension lead that I used when on holiday at caravan, it had a socket with lid that was very tight closing with the granny plug - the problem was the granny cable thickness though not the actual granny plug, solution was to just cut away a bit of the rubber seal that closes around the cable.
This maybe the issue with the extension cable you mention, in which case can easily be resolved.

We all know that to charge a full EV car at home is better done on a wall box, this can be fitted by a wall box installer. I have a PHEV and I can not see having a wall box fitted at the cost of them also I do not think the grant will be eligible. I have a out side cable run to a garden pond and a shed. I use heavy armour cable and a 16 amp breaker in fuse box. Tim is correct in what he says the better parts you use and correct side for the power needed. A lot of people do not think about this and that’s why plug e.g. get hot and damage.

Think of it this way you have a river flowing through a narrow gap it flows fast and rough. Then the river opens up and now it smooths out and will run more slower.

This is the same with electricity thin wire runs hot thicker wire runs cooler. My plug and socket just get lukewar.

We all know that to charge a full EV car at home is better done on a wall box, this can be fitted by a wall box installer. I have a PHEV and I can not see having a wall box fitted at the cost of them also I do not think the grant will be eligible. I have a out side cable run to a garden pond and a shed. I use heavy armour cable and a 16 amp breaker in fuse box. Tim is correct in what he says the better parts you use and correct side for the power needed. A lot of people do not think about this and that’s why plug e.g. get hot and damage.

Think of it this way you have a river flowing through a narrow gap it flows fast and rough. Then the river opens up and now it smooths out and will run more slower.

This is the same with electricity thin wire runs hot thicker wire runs cooler. My plug and socket just get lukewar.

I've got an extension lead that I used when on holiday at caravan, it had a socket with lid that was very tight closing with the granny plug - the problem was the granny cable thickness though not the actual granny plug, solution was to just cut away a bit of the rubber seal that closes around the cable.
This maybe the issue with the extension cable you mention, in which case can easily be resolved.
Same here !.
I made my own extension lead.
Length of good quality 2.5mm round cored flex, IP65 single outdoor socket out let, fitted with the best quality MK three pin plug that I could locate.
13 Amp fuse naturally.

How much did that set you back buddy ?
@Headgas1 you only need a 13amp extension of 1.5mm cable.
Please have a look at this website Safely Charging your Electric Vehicle Using a Granny Charger

note that

• BS 1363-1:1995 A4:2012 the British Standard for 13A plugs, specifically states that flex must not exceed 1.5mmsq with the line ‘having nominal conductor cross-sectional areas not exceeding 1.5 mmsq’. Therefore, other than manufacturer fitted molded plugs, 2.5mmsq flex should not be terminated in a 13A plug.
That site do their own very good extension leads, however there are a few on this forum myself included that have bought and used without problem from Wickes.

or

Importantly as mentioned by others make sure the extension lead is full unwound as this could cause overheating.

@Headgas1 you only need a 13amp extension of 1.5mm cable.
Please have a look at this website Safely Charging your Electric Vehicle Using a Granny Charger

note that

• BS 1363-1:1995 A4:2012 the British Standard for 13A plugs, specifically states that flex must not exceed 1.5mmsq with the line ‘having nominal conductor cross-sectional areas not exceeding 1.5 mmsq’. Therefore, other than manufacturer fitted molded plugs, 2.5mmsq flex should not be terminated in a 13A plug.
That site do their own very good extension leads, however there are a few on this forum myself included that have bought and used without problem from Wickes.

or

Importantly as mentioned by others make sure the extension lead is full unwound as this could cause overheating.
The masterplug pro XT is £20 in Screwfix I don’t need a weather proof lead as my granny goes into my garage and is about 3/4 metres short do you think this would do.
Masterplug 13A 1-Gang Unswitched Extension Lead 10m

Just to add an additional fact into the mix. If, after charging, you pick up & gather it in coils, a type 2 7kW cable, you will notice it’s ever so slightly warm after a long charge. It would have been carrying over 30 amps & the heating effect is the square of the current being carried! 🤔

Heating effect is proportional to the square of the current.
You can calculate it exactly using the formula P=I²R where I=Current and R=total conductor resistance in Ohms for the circuit in question.

Ref Gomev, the restriction to 1.5mm cable for 13A plugs is due to the physical difficulties of fitting larger cables into the plug. It is obviously not an electrical issue.

Ref Gomev, the restriction to 1.5mm cable for 13A plugs is due to the physical difficulties of fitting larger cables into the plug. It is obviously not an electrical issue.
Using 2.5mm cable on a home made extension lead maybe seen as a bit of over kill of course.
Purely because terminating 2.5mm round flex / cable conductors into a standard three pin domestic plug head, can be JUST a little bit tricky.
Not impossible, but just a bit of a squeeze :whistle:.
But 1.5mm cable has been proven to be effective for use on a "Granny" lead.
The cable can never be to large in cross section ( within reason of course ) but it certainly CAN be too small !.
Some of these "Wind Up" cheap reels you can buy from the cheapo shops or the DIY sheds, are alright to power your electric drill for a quick job alright, but many of these are using 0.75mm cross sectional flex.
Okay to power a small electrical appliance for a shorter time, but definitely not suitable for the job in hand here.
Terminating multi strand 2.5mm flex into a IP65 out door socket outlet, via a water proof gland first and then preferably using a boot ferule kit to crimp each conductor, before connecting them to the face plate maybe seen as good practice as well.
Do it right, or don't do it all.
Just go buy a suitable rated cable.
Make sure the socket outlet is weather proof, as you MAY want to use the extension away from the home.

The masterplug pro XT is £20 in Screwfix I don’t need a weather proof lead as my granny goes into my garage and is about 3/4 metres short do you think this would do.
Masterplug 13A 1-Gang Unswitched Extension Lead 10m
@Headgas1 I would give that one a swerve.

If you look in the Q&As there are several questions about the thickness of the cable. 1 answer from Screwfix states it is 1.5mm cable but other replies more of them have stated only 1.25mm.
If in doubt....

badge.jpg

Hi, thank you for your product enquiry.
The cable used for this Masterplug 13A 1-Gang Extension Lead 10m has cores with 1.25mm² csa.

@Headgas1 I would give that one a swerve.

If you look in the Q&As there are several questions about the thickness of the cable. 1 answer from Screwfix states it is 1.5mm cable but other replies more of them have stated only 1.25mm.
If in doubt....

badge.jpg

Hi, thank you for your product enquiry.
The cable used for this Masterplug 13A 1-Gang Extension Lead 10m has cores with 1.25mm² csa.
@Gomev cheers buddy 👍🏻 wont get that one reckon I will get one from

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom