Granny charging - only option - will it be enough?

If you haven't already switched to Octopus Energy get in asap and then switch to Octopus Go for the 5p rate for your overnight charging. Use my referral code below and we can share £100 that's £50 for you and £50 for me
share.octopus.energy/zappy-guppy-175
Octopus are not taking switching at the moment.

Sadly Octopus won't accept new customers at the moment, probably a knock on effect of them taking over Avro...
Not to do with Avro.
To do with fact that anyone switching will go onto standard variable at it's max rate, same as every other company. If already on a fixed tariff with your current (pun not intended) supplier then you will lose out BIG time switching to anyone.

Not to do with Avro.
To do with fact that anyone switching will go onto standard variable at it's max rate, same as every other company. If already on a fixed tariff with your current (pun not intended) supplier then you will lose out BIG time switching to anyone.
I am with EDF energy at the moment and my current contract ends at the end of November
They have written to me with three different offers to renew with them.
Two are two fixed rate tariffs on offer, over years, with rates that are over triple what I was paying before !.
Or I can go onto their standard flat rate variable tariff at 16p / kw’s.
No options at all really then !.
Standard tariff for now then with an annual increase of about £900 !!!!!!.
Before we had cheap off peak every day from 10.00pm until 7.00am and ALL weekend for 8 p / kw.
The day rate was around 21p / kw if I remember correctly ?.
And I though Dick Turpin was dead ?.

Not to do with Avro.
I'm on a fixed rate until April 2022 with British Gas - looked at their current tariffs and the price increases are eye watering and wallet emptying. Every provider seems much the same. I'll keep using the free rapid/fast chargers in South Lanarkshire & Glasgow whilst out shopping and balance at home.

Pretty much everywhere has stopped giving anything decent now. I was with Utility Point until they went under, now I've got to endure EDF's standard tariff, which is 24.1p flat..... Glad I'm able to do my charging at work...!

Pretty much everywhere has stopped giving anything decent now. I was with Utility Point until they went under, now I've got to endure EDF's standard tariff, which is 24.1p flat..... Glad I'm able to do my charging at work...!
Even at 24.1p its still less than half the price of diesel, you're so lucky to be able to charge at work for free.

Just need to decide which car to get then get it delivered.....
Think I've decided to go MG5 LR Excite and use the saving over Exclusive to treat myself to a Zappi (if the garage electrics specs are up to it!). I've flip-flopped a lot on Exclusive v. Excite but I just don't think I need the Exclusive. I'll never put anything on the roof and Excite has ACC in the long range. Keyless entry, meh ;)

Glad I'm able to do my charging at work...!
That is a huge benefit !.
Supermarkets (as we know) are keen to install EV chargers to attract owners to shop in their stores.
I have a Tesco and a new Aldi store only 500 yards apart.
But I noticed last week, that the four 7 kw bays at the Aldi store, are not getting as much use but the four bays at Tesco are always full ?????.
After some checking around, it appears that the 7 kw units at the Aldi store, will only provide juice for 1hour and then cuts off !.
The units at Tesco are not restricted !.
There is your answer.
Aldi don't mind you charging while you shop in their store, but will not provide juice beyond this point.
Aldi must cutting their electricity bill in the same way their cut the price of their products :ROFLMAO: !.

Think I've decided to go MG5 LR Excite and use the saving over Exclusive to treat myself to a Zappi (if the garage electrics specs are up to it!). I've flip-flopped a lot on Exclusive v. Excite but I just don't think I need the Exclusive. I'll never put anything on the roof and Excite has ACC in the long range. Keyless entry, meh ;)
Having driven an ZS Exclusive through 2 summers and almost 2 winters I'd happily forgo the Heated PU Leather for the softer Fabric of either MG5 LR or ZS SE

Having driven an ZS Exclusive through 2 summers and almost 2 winters I'd happily forgo the Heated PU Leather for the softer Fabric of either MG5 LR or ZS SE
I don't know why manufacturers think we want it. I have been vegetarian for 25 years now so have built up enough credit with the animal kingdom for real leather. Failing that cloth would be better than pleather.

Currently got a 40kwh Leaf and we have exclusively used the granny lead for nearly 18mths now. We did have a dedicated socket installed in our garage with its own rcd by a qualified electrician though. The cable goes under the door and has worked well if slow.

I don't even know which model to go with let alone which trim level! Erring towards the new zs now with its updated Infotainment system. Bit of a geek so I need all the new bells & whistles ....

I don't know why manufacturers think we want it. I have been vegetarian for 25 years now so have built up enough credit with the animal kingdom for real leather. Failing that cloth would be better than pleather.
Honestly, I'd like to option to have cloth heated seats and a heated steering wheel as top trim rather than sticky pretend leather. My wife lays a loose knited woolen shawl over her seat during the summer to prevent it becoming burning hot to sit on

Yes Tommy. An overnight charge should be enough, maybe 10pm to 7ish - more than enough.
I do a round trip of about 80 miles, and it basically takes half the battery (all motorway) when weather was OK. I used to find it would take 12 to 13 hours to charge up from that.

Have a wallbox now, but would maybe check you have enough time at home to charge. Or occasionally top up at a rapid charger.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom