Great economy 228 mile range

Mg5man

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
20210614_201856-jpg.3595

A very good result, far beyond my expectations.
228 mile range.

Attachments

• 20210614_201856.jpg
    20210614_201856.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 801
It was all motorway, bradford to ferry hill. !!!!

Last edited:
'Ell's bells.. that encouraging. I'm picking mine up next week, so this is nice to see. On my 30-odd mile test run (A-roads around Shrewsbury, dicking about with all the settings, including "sport") I averaged 4.2/kWh which I thought was purty good..

Arf

That is impressive, I've got a 220 trip upto Leeds tomorrow but will have to put the hammer down a bit so 2 charging stations on the way.

🤦, yes it would, first leg to Peterborough is 90 miles, will full charge then 120 to my hotel, will try this at 70 and see how I get, should be easily doable, just don't want to get stuck!

🤦, yes it would, first leg to Peterborough is 90 miles, will full charge then 120 to my hotel, will try this at 70 and see how I get, should be easily doable, just don't want to get stuck!
The 5 should eat this up. I wouldn't worry about charging to full after your first stop unless you've got no destination charger at/near the hotel.

Do you know about the 'charging curve' where the speed slows...and slows....... as the battery gets closer to full. On a rapid charger you're usually better off stopping at 80% and charging again later if necessary. You get the best charging speeds when charging from under 20% state of charge (SOC) so it's always faster to let it get lower before stopping.

Obviously if you need to stop for a comfort break then you may as well charge, but 10 minutes here and there could be all you really need. Personally, I tend to think of the MG5 as always being capable of a 150 mile first leg in all but the very worst conditions.

Stopped at Peterborough, had 63% left filled to 100 then 120 miles to Leeds had 43% left. Just topping up now and will see how I get on tomorrow on the way back. Pretty good going I think

Very encouraging... We've only done about 92 miles since pick-up, mainly hilly local and A-roads, but currently sitting on 4.4 miles/kWh.....

That is impressive, I've got a 220 trip upto Leeds tomorrow but will have to put the hammer down a bit so 2 charging stations on the way.
You definitely don’t need two! I can safely do 170 with a bit to spare between stops. Plan ahead and have a back charge point in case your chosen stop is ICE’d in use or OoO. This long distance EV driving is fun, believe me it’s like going back 60yrs the way motoring used to be but different if you know what I mean? I’m really enjoying it.

You definitely don’t need two! I can safely do 170 with a bit to spare between stops. Plan ahead and have a back charge point in case your chosen stop is ICE’d in use or OoO. This long distance EV driving is fun, believe me it’s like going back 60yrs the way motoring used to be but different if you know what I mean? I’m really enjoying it.
Some really great places to stop if you choose right, e.g small towns, scenic points, hotels etc. Always choose somewhere with facilities if possible.

Stopped at Peterborough there and back, there's 2 gridserve chargers at 30p and on the way back had to use ionity, 70p kW! Cost 25 quid to charge from 20 to 85ish. Cruising at 70 seems to be best for timing and mileage, returned 3.7 over the whole trip

had to use ionity, 70p kW! Cost 25 quid to charge from 20 to 85ish
You are seriously joking?! That's unbelievably expensive, I had no idea chargers were that expensive. I know its rapid but that price is disgusting.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom