Hardwired granny charger

Srp111

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all, I decided to hardwire in my granny charger due to my house being electrically looped with next door and the cable going under our garages so couldn't be done, I am happy using the granny as I only do around 30 miles each day so happy to charge every few days.
What do you think ?

20210119_112554.jpg

20210119_112720.jpg

I have connected using a TP link that way I can turn the charger on and off by my phone 📱🙃

Great idea if it works for you .must have 2.5m cable outside i guess i guess its now a tethered granny charger

How hot does the TP-Link get?

I've got several of those (controlling LED lights) and know they are rated for 13A but I'm not sure I'd want to be putting that load through them for hours at a time.

Yes. Be careful that the current doesn’t overheat the socket too.

My TP Link got hot but it was the moulded plug on the granny, I replaced tha plug and it just gets very slightly warm now

Loving the tp. Was it not feasible to have an outdoor socket?.Make sure it’s rcd protected and you could do with a sparky doing a trip test.I personally wouldn’t be comfortable leaving it on overnight. Also check It doesn’t invalidate house insurance as I think this chargers only meant for outdoor use.

My dealer said the box on the granny cable is showerproof but not waterproof so not to leave it out in rain,so before i had my 7kw fitted i used an outside socket and covered the box bit up with a plastic bag

Had an outdoor socket but didn't want to go out and leave it plugged in, in case it was stolen, this way is best of both worlds.
It's fine where it is, vented and doesn't get hot and is also weatherproof

The reason for that legalise on back of granny charger: if using an converter/adaptors (like uk to eu), most of those are no where near rated to support the high power currents need for the granny lead and often not earthed. Also if plugged into a multi way extension lead with other items, your more likey to overload the extension cable. If people uses common sense, then chances of it catching fire is slim to none. Its when people start using adaptors & extension overloading or other silly things.

I was going to just use the Granny charger and I installed a 16 WiFi switch inside the waterproof Outlet box. My WiFi switch measures current / power and the granny charger only draws 10 - 10.5 amps. so your plug in switch should be ok.
I would still suggest checking it regularly.

I have now got a commando socket and Ohme Cable.

I was going to just use the Granny charger and I installed a 16 WiFi switch inside the waterproof Outlet box. My WiFi switch measures current / power and the granny charger only draws 10 - 10.5 amps. so your plug in switch should be ok.
I would still suggest checking it regularly.

I have now got a commando socket and Ohme Cable.
Who fitted your commando socket if you don’t mind me asking? I’m being told that any fitment for EV use is subject to quite strict legislation and certification - specific to EV use. Not just a case of getting an electrician to fit one The Ohme also requires an earth rod I believe . I too would like to use a socket with the Ohme cable For smart charging. Thanks

Who fitted your commando socket if you don’t mind me asking? I’m being told that any fitment for EV use is subject to quite strict legislation and certification - specific to EV use. Not just a case of getting an electrician to fit one The Ohme also requires an earth rod I believe . I too would like to use a socket with the Ohme cable For smart charging. Thanks
An electrician I know.
It has its own new consumer unit and is connected to own earth rod.

Ohme may be able to recommend an installer.

I suspect the electricians think EV car owners all drive expensive cars and hike the prices.

The best quote I got for a normal charging point was BP Pulse.

Ref Notdodgy: Did you check the current with the charger unplugged from the car? I would be interested to know what it is as I leave mine switched on sometimes.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom