Has anyone had their car on a car lift?

Cocijo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the ZS EV is like underneath? Things like how well it’s put together. How the underside is painted/treated? Are there plastic boards/trays protecting the underside? I’m planning on getting mine up in the air to have a look when times are safer. I’m used to seeing an exhaust system/gearbox/engine I bet an EV looks so different.

I was wondering what the ZS EV is like underneath? Things like how well it’s put together. How the underside is painted/treated? Are there plastic boards/trays protecting the underside? I’m planning on getting mine up in the air to have a look when times are safer. I’m used to seeing an exhaust system/gearbox/engine I bet an EV looks so different.
It’s really different as the base is all incased battery..Crispydoc will be able to help you with this as his car has been up on his ramp and wax oiled.

Well there's a big flat battery in the middle. No plastic covers, so quite a big void behind the battery where the fuel tank goes in the petrol version. The wheel arches are quite well finished with underseal and liners. You might be disappointed with most of the rest of the underbody though. There is no underseal and it's just finished in the grey primer that its dipped in at the factory.

It should be OK as its built from zintec steel, so unlikely to get any serious rust issues for many years, but you're going to see surface rusting, especially at edges and around spot welds, underneath within a year or two due to the lack of any protection.

The consensus is, if you intend to keep the car long term. Do as Crispydoc has and get it sprayed everywhere with a wax/oil based protectant such as Dinitrol or Waxoyl. Preferably within the first year before the rust sets in!

Well there's a big flat battery in the middle. No plastic covers, so quite a big void behind the battery where the fuel tank goes in the petrol version. The wheel arches are quite well finished with underseal and liners. You might be disappointed with most of the rest of the underbody though. There is no underseal and it's just finished in the grey primer that its dipped in at the factory.

It should be OK as its built from zintec steel, so unlikely to get any serious rust issues for many years, but you're going to see surface rusting, especially at edges and around spot welds, underneath within a year or two due to the lack of any protection.

The consensus is, if you intend to keep the car long term. Do as Crispydoc has and get it sprayed everywhere with a wax/oil based protectant such as Dinitrol or Waxoyl. Preferably within the first year before the rust sets in!
Thank you. Very useful. I think I’m going to get it done. I guess it’s fairly straightforward as everything is open and accessible. I’ll get some quotes. I’d like to do it myself and might look at hiring a lift.

Ref. Corrosion; I guess some of you may have already seen this youtube video.

It reminds me of the days when you could add underseal to your new car spec! I had a ford cortina undersealed. It still rusted though!

I don't think there is anything to worry about underneath. I Waoyled mine because I always do ,,every couple of years.

I looked under a 5 year Ford focus recently as was horrified by the amount of surface rust under there....talking to a mechanic chum he said that was quite normal!

I'm not worried about the MG.

I do think that there’s a lot to be said for just driving and enjoying your car. If I had the facilities I’d love to do what you do.

I don't think there is anything to worry about underneath. I Waoyled mine because I always do ,,every couple of years.

I looked under a 5 year Ford focus recently as was horrified by the amount of surface rust under there....talking to a mechanic chum he said that was quite normal!

I'm not worried about the MG.
I meant to ask. Out of interest, do you waxoyle inside the doors/tailgate as well when you do your cars?

Always interested in corrosion threads.....as I'm old enough to remember the days when a car crash would usually leave a pile of rusty muddy metal flakes on the road!

One item that is worth mentioning is the jacking points: if you've not had a look at these, they are formed of the usual vertical spot welded seam between the inner and outer sill panel. However there is a small gap (about 2mm) between these panels at each of the jacking points which I guess is for the purpose of allowing moisture to weep out at the points where the seam is not covered by the plastic sill shield.

If needing to use these jacking points ensure that the seams don't get distorted and so block the weep holes; I've bought a rubber jacking pad with a preformed slot so that the pressure is taken by the sills rather than the seam (this is probably not an issue if you use the MG supplied jack as it appears to have a pre-formed slot)

Underseal was great at holding water in once it got through it. :(
Yes. I can recall peeling off underseal and being shocked at how rusty it was underneath! Those early cars rusted more if they had been undersealed than those that hadn’t! The holes that were drilled to inject panels also rusted! That’s why waxoyle is so good. It not only seals but kills the rust.

It reminds me of the days when you could add underseal to your new car spec! I had a ford cortina undersealed. It still rusted though!
In those days if you had a new Fiat, Lancia or Alfa they were rusty when you bought them!

Anyone remember the old Ziebart underseal? It was very popular especially with Fords and it did work for quite a while.

Last edited:
Ha ha yes. Some of them are worth a lot now though!

Nou, er zit een grote lege batterij in het midden. Geen plastic hoezen, dus best een grote leegte achter de accu waar de brandstoftank in de benzineversie gaat. De wielkasten zijn redelijk goed afgewerkt met bodemdichting en voeringen. Je zou echter teleurgesteld kunnen zijn over het grootste deel van de rest van de onderkant. Er is geen bodembescherming en het is net afgewerkt in de grijze primer die het in de fabriek heeft gedoopt.

Het zou in orde moeten zijn omdat het is gemaakt van zintec-staal, dus het is onwaarschijnlijk dat het jarenlang serieuze roestproblemen zal krijgen, maar je zult oppervlakteroest zien, vooral aan de randen en rond puntlassen, eronder binnen een jaar of twee vanwege de gebrek aan enige bescherming.

De consensus is, als u van plan bent de auto op lange termijn te houden. Doe wat Crispydoc heeft gedaan en laat het overal spuiten met een op was / olie gebaseerde beschermer zoals Dinitrol of Waxoyl. Bij voorkeur binnen het eerste jaar voordat de roest intreedt!
👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom