Have MG been naughty releasing MG5 LR just one year after they introduced MG5

KaloyanP

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Even though I do love my MG5, I cannot get rid of that bitter taste that I could have had a MG5 LR and everything else that it comes with for the same money. If there are others owners of MG5 1st edition, please share your thoughts and feelings.

I don't think a yearly cadence is a bad thing as it invites innovation and progress.

Yes you can feel bitter when the next version of something comes along but I don't that much and the next thing is always around the corner. I think tech is coming on at such a rate that if they didn't do it someone else would. This will be especially apparently as battery tech improves over the next few years.

Ignoring tech improvements I don't worry about facelifts alone devaluing current stock that much, personally I tend to prefer the older models. That's looking to be the same with my MG5 LR vs the 2022 EU version and was the same with my old gt86! Maybe I'm getting old.

Even though I do love my MG5, I cannot get rid of that bitter taste that I could have had a MG5 LR and everything else that it comes with for the same money. If there are others owners of MG5 1st edition, please share your thoughts and feelings.
we have an LR coming, but we have always been on the fence about when to jump in as battery tech and other things are developing quickly. In 12 months time LR folk could be feeling the same about the next model or another brand that changes how we think of motoring. I hope by that stage we will have had 12 months of beautiful motoring that we can be happy with or we can trade in. The technology is still fairly cutting edge and you are an early adopter, its always a bit of a gamble when to adopt new technology. We still think it represents great value and would have taken the MG5 if the LR was not available.

You might be even more peeved when the facelifted version turns up next year!

I don't think so, mainly because the tech from EVs is evolving so much faster than piston cars. You're going to see fairly hefty annual increments in most cars for the next three or four years.

I was in the same position, the dealer had an SR in stock and in colour and spec I wanted. 50kwh ‘ish battery is more than enough for me 90% of the time.

You might be even more peeved when the facelifted version turns up next year!
Trying to find out when that version is expected in the UK, the announcement video says 1st Qtr, but then is that just Europe (left hand drive markets) and even later for the RHD UK?

Trying to find out when that version is expected in the UK, the announcement video says 1st Qtr, but then is that just Europe (left hand drive markets) and even later for the RHD UK?
Not sure, perhaps they've spotted a market for Aus, NZ, India for the RHD too and want to work out where the most profit lies? i.e. which market is most miffed by not having the new model? Pretty sure that India don't fare very well with SW/estates.

I was in the same position, the dealer had an SR in stock and in colour and spec I wanted. 50kwh ‘ish battery is more than enough for me 90% of the time.
It does the job and I manage to squeeze 210 miles on a charge. I am very happy with the car do not get me wrong. Just that feeling, may be because there so many videos on YouTube reviewing MG5 LR.

I hear what you say, anyone would be interested in the 250mile range for 'total peace of mind' but as another poster said the 214 range has not been an issue for me
What DID peeve me was the fact that the roof bar issue has been fixed...I would have though MG could at least offer to go halves on a retro fit of them as the 35kg is seriously an issue

I for one am pleased I have the short range. Having had a leaf tekna with all the gubbins on, it frankly drove me mad all the beeps when reversing or braking without warning. Trying to keep me from changing lanes if you don’t signal even when there’s no other cars about. So now I’m back in the driving seat making my own mind up.

The extended range doesn't bother me as I wouldn't have bought an electric estate if I couldn't commute to work without just one nightly charge on off peak electricity. I wouldn't use the pilot functions very often either. It's the upgrade in the roof rail load capacity that leaves the bitter taste. Just as soon as they declared the 35kg load they then bring out the 'corrected' version.

The extended range doesn't bother me as I wouldn't have bought an electric estate if I couldn't commute to work without just one nightly charge on off peak electricity. I wouldn't use the pilot functions very often either. It's the upgrade in the roof rail load capacity that leaves the bitter taste. Just as soon as they declared the 35kg load they then bring out the 'corrected' version.
Yes
Yes, I agree. Range wise does not bother me at all, just when I drive on motorways find it irritating having to adjust manually the speed. On a whole brilliant car, and the most important my wife loves it.

You say for the same money, but even now there is about 2k difference between the SR and LR. For some this may be worth it. For me not really.
Exactly. It's not the same money at all. And second hand prices are so strong right now that you could easily trade up for minimal loss.

You say for the same money, but even now there is about 2k difference between the SR and LR. For some this may be worth it. For me not really.
Hello, I said the same money because I bought our car for 27000 as new back in May, and now I am pretty sure that for 27000 one can buy LR exclusive. I however after read your comments and replies have lost that bitter taste.

Exactly. It's not the same money at all. And second hand prices are so strong right now that you could easily trade up for minimal loss.
Yes this is a good point, we have thought about this, but decided to wait when 2022 ZS LR comes in the UK, and if it suits us we might move back to SUV.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom