Have MG been naughty releasing MG5 LR just one year after they introduced MG5

Was a Smart Fortwo, Great little city car but with a range of 80ish miles in the summer (town) and about 50 in winter in was just that. Wife has also gone all electric (Corsa) so needed a slighty bigger car.

If my pc part buying is anything to go by then buying a mg5 SR moths before a LR version is announced, then its par for the course.

I think of it as i produce improvements for the rest of you.

:LOL: :LOL:

We need to stop thinking legacy motor company where new products are spaced years apart so they can maximise profits.

China / SAIC / MG are following the Tesla model. Update when viable & cost effective, which could be every few months

We need to stop thinking legacy motor company where new products are spaced years apart so they can maximise profits.

China / SAIC / MG are following the Tesla model. Update when viable & cost effective, which could be every few months
I agree and totally accept this, it is just the mind set. Just wanted to find out whether I am the only one feeling this way.

My understanding is that the LR rrp is higher than that of the SR because of the extras that have been added.

I have the SR MG5 Excite purchased on the affinity scheme for Ā£19500. Looking on auto trader today the cheapest LR Excite on affinity is Ā£22940 so Ā£3000 more than I paid.

Even the cheapest standard range is Ā£20900 new so Ā£1000 more than I paid.

As the extras are not that important to me I am happy with the car I have. Based on todays prices for the LR I would have had to think twice about moving to an EV.

Haven't seen much pricing info for the facelift model as that hasn't been confirmed for the UK as yet but have heard that the price is likely to be in the high Ā£20k region.

A lot of people went for the MG5 because it was the most affordable EV on the market but with each update the price jumps a couple of thousand pounds but with each update they are becoming less affordable.

If I was in a position to change today I would probably forego the MG completely and opt for a low mileage 2nd hand Tesla Model S.

Last edited:
Were the low price first versions an effort to get noticed in the market place? MG ICE cars werenā€™t considered special by the auto press and first reviews of the MG ZS EV were sniffy but the sales figures have showed that MG have a good proposition. That the first cars were an EV squeezed into a petrol car (ZS) without much effort and an old Chinese model (5) allowed competitive pricing but the upgraded cars are much more in competition and hence the price increases. I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see rapid inflation in car prices, there is a lot of energy goes into car production!

What about the charging speed on LR, has anyone reached near 100 kW? Ours, apparently, has maximum speed of 80 being a SR and once I got 77 on Rugby Services which was impressive given the fact that on 50 kW units I usually get max 43-44.

MFG Crow Orchard showed around 80kWh for me - but both SR and LR have the same 80kWh charging capabilities so this is as high as either model will achieve.
Doesn't the LR have 100 kWh charging capability, at least I thought so, I might be wrong.

Doesn't the LR have 100 kWh charging capability, at least I thought so, I might be wrong.
For the LR, MG quote charging times using a 100kWh charger whereas they mentioned the 50kWh charger for the SR - I think itā€™s just marketing spin.

On EV-Database (which admittedly might be wrong), the SR and LR both show 80kWh capability.

For the LR, MG quote charging times using a 100kWh charger whereas they mentioned the 50kWh charger for the SR - I think itā€™s just marketing spin.

On EV-Database (which admittedly might be wrong), the SR and LR both show 80kWh capability.
Right, this is how I got confused. Nonetheless, 80kWh is not that bad I think.

Quite happy with ā€œ1st editionā€ as I have just done 6k miles in it - mostly free charging and spent less than Ā£100 in charge since. I drove 1200 miles in 2 weeks around Scotland and in the outer Hebrides - spent a grand total of Ā£20 for public charging!! Some Type 2 overnight chargers and some rapid chargers were free on the journey!

I donā€™t really use the assist techs and the dogs absolutely loves the deep boot with their own dog bed in it! would have been nice to have a longer range, but I would rather pocket the cash and use it for something else. Still canā€™t find an more practical EV for the same money! It has more than paid for itself against my old thirsty and dying Discovery 3

Quite happy with ā€œ1st editionā€ as I have just done 6k miles in it - mostly free charging and spent less than Ā£100 in charge since. I drove 1200 miles in 2 weeks around Scotland and in the outer Hebrides - spent a grand total of Ā£20 for public charging!! Some Type 2 overnight chargers and some rapid chargers were free on the journey!

I donā€™t really use the assist techs and the dogs absolutely loves the deep boot with their own dog bed in it! would have been nice to have a longer range, but I would rather pocket the cash and use it for something else. Still canā€™t find an more practical EV for the same money! It has more than paid for itself against my old thirsty and dying Discovery 3
That is great, we are planning trip around Scotland in spring. What cards and apps did you need in order to rapid charge in Scotland. I have got almost everything what someone need in England, is it any different up in Scotland.
Thanks in advance.

That is great, we are planning trip around Scotland in spring. What cards and apps did you need in order to rapid charge in Scotland. I have got almost everything what someone need in England, is it any different up in Scotland.
Thanks in advance.
ChargePlace Scotland card is the main one needed. There is a phone app for this too and account creation through their website, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Charge Place Scotland - Ā£10 per card per year plus whatever charge rates being used.
I planned 3-4 charger options on any journey - just to be safe. I would say success rate is around 60% for any given rapid chargers on average. Make sure you can destination charge over night (ie extension lead and granny cable). I donā€™t trust the network too much at the moment.
Never rely on the app - poor receptions abound in the highlands! You can alway call the network to activate but can ring ring ringā€¦.!!

Personally I'm more than happy with my Excite 52kWh SR. I'm not interested in the extra tech in the LR or the facelift model due in 2022. I've been driving for the last 43 years without it and I've managed to survive this far.

I don't even want the extra range to be honest, 214 miles is more than enough. The UK charging infrastructure if far more important than an extra 36 miles of range. The only thing I would have liked on my excite is heated wing mirrors but it's hardly a deal breaker.

Enjoy what you have, which is a very fine car. I've done just over 2,000 in mine and it's a joy to own so far.

Personally I'm more than happy with my Excite 52kWh SR. I'm not interested in the extra tech in the LR or the facelift model due in 2022. I've been driving for the last 43 years without it and I've managed to survive this far.

I don't even want the extra range to be honest, 214 miles is more than enough. The UK charging infrastructure if far more important than an extra 36 miles of range. The only thing I would have liked on my excite is heated wing mirrors but it's hardly a deal breaker.

Enjoy what you have, which is a very fine car. I've done just over 2,000 in mine and it's a joy to own so far.
Yes totally agree, we love it. It is nippy, efficient for a non ground up built EV, spacious, the range is enough. I miss heated wing mirrors too.

Charge Place Scotland - Ā£10 per card per year plus whatever charge rates being used.
I planned 3-4 charger options on any journey - just to be safe. I would say success rate is around 60% for any given rapid chargers on average. Make sure you can destination charge over night (ie extension lead and granny cable). I donā€™t trust the network too much at the moment.
Never rely on the app - poor receptions abound in the highlands! You can alway call the network to activate but can ring ring ringā€¦.!!
I have just registered myself with CP Scotland, but it requires direct debit which is quite unusual. How does this work?

I have just registered myself with CP Scotland, but it requires direct debit which is quite unusual. How does this work?
They will eventually send you a RFID card (3-4 weeks or so!) and then costs for charging is direct debit from your account. Simples.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom